• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France '14 AAR Turning the flank !!
11-02-2010, 09:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:41 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
France '14 AAR Turning the flank !!
Here is an AAR that the design/testing team behind F14 have been working on since the release of that title, it features the scenario 1914_1001_02s: Turning the Flank with two of the playtesters RickyB and Foul. battling it out while the designer Volcano Man (VM) is providing his neutral comments as the events unfold! Big Grin

Setting the scene
"Arras, France, 1st October 1914: During the period known as "The Race to the Sea", both sides attempted to outflank the other on many occasions. In the beginning of October, with the front line now extended to Arras, the French had massed enough troops in the area to create the Xe Armée under the command of Maud'huy. The order was given for this new army to launch an immediate attack from Arras to take Douai, and push on and outflank the Germans. As the attack commenced, the French made good progress against German cavalry divisions which were acting as flank guard. However, the French were quickly placed on the defensive as yet another German corps arrived in the nick of time with the opposite intent: taking Arras and turning the French flank."

The scenario is 30 turns.

VM's additional notes
"This scenario represents what is historically known as the First Battle of Arras. This battle historically began to subside at the end of the 4th of October, which is when this scenario ends. On the 5th, the situation was mostly stabilized in this sector and the fighting shifted north.
The French 21e Corps d'Armée is not present because it was not until the 7th of October when this force arrived from the north (specifically from the Lille-Armentières area). At that point the battle to turn the flank was carried further north."

Opposing forces
[Image: f4aa96895eAlternate%20Arras_starting-situation-map.jpg]
*Note* While the French forces are almost complete, the German's have a Reserve Corps arriving by rail.

Terrain features
[Image: 844b4aa3a8Alternate%20Arras_map-2D-zoom-out.jpg]
This map shows the locations of the rivers and vital high ground the French must hold, for location of places included in the text see image below.

Victory conditions
[Image: 70170d8474victory1.JPG]
The German player has to capture several thousand points worth of objectives to achieve a result, the major objectives are Arras (2500),Lens (1500), Bethune (1500) and twenty or so other locations worth 250-500 points.

French commander (Foul.) initial thoughts.
"Turn 1,
As the French player i need to grab as much territory (especially the high ground) and take advantage of RickyB's initial weakness before switching to the defensive later on, the map is divided up roughly into three areas by rivers, in the southern and centre zones each side of the river Scarpe i will make the obvious move of pushing the 10e Corps to the east of Arras to occupy the ridge line running north and south of Wancourt, once my batteries are established there i can try to form a buffer to protect the ridge and its vp locations and in the centre zone push the 33e Corps to occupy Vimy Ridge and its vp locations, from there i can try to capture some more territory to the east around Vitry-en-Artois and Beaumont to again act as a buffer to the German counter attack.

In the northern zone i plan to use the 2e Cav Corps to occupy the area to the north of Lens, while the 1e Cav Corps push's either side of the Lens canal to try to squeeze Rick out of the Harnes river triangle and hence secure a river line to protect my northern flank.

The first move is taken up with moving my forces forward, because of lack of infantry support i have been conservative with my cav forward line leaving them mounted (T mode) just in case Rick is more aggressive, in the northern zone occupied by my two cav corps also i am planning on using my Dragoons dismounted to take advantage of their enhanced soft attack value, any units disrupted can then be charged by Hussar's who possess a higher assault value."

German commander (RickyB) initial thoughts
"SITUATION ANALYSIS
I reviewed my troops, they are mostly cavalry corps troops, with my regular infantry on my left flank. The cavalry is a bit tired, 150 fatigue, so I will use some to keep pressure on the French troops to my front while I rest others for later use. With 30 turns, I will need fresh troops later in the battle.
The French hold a very large number of objective points, and are near a major win with them. The objective values indicate that losses are secondary in this fight, taking the objectives from the enemy is critical to winning, unlike some battles where losses drive the victory.

In the north, the French have a number of cavalry and MG units massed in front of Lens, with some cavalry deployed, others in travel mode. I will thus hold in their front while pushing to the north of Lens where the French appear a bit weaker. Just south of Lens, I am trying cavalry charges against single French cavalry units, but further south near Arras, French infantry are deployed in my front so I will stand off there for now. My left flank infantry will push hard south of Arras, depending on what they run into.
Overall my long term plan is to push hard between the heavier forces at Lens and Arras, to open their flanks, plus an infantry attack south of Arras. My hope is for a double envelopment to force the French out of Arras."

Turn 1

Movements on Turn 1
[Image: 51dc5425c5Arras_Opening-Plan-Turn-1.jpg]

Observer: Volcano
NOTE: The observer's comments were made after the play of each turn was complete, and was not made available to either side at the time that the turn was being played. See the 2D zoom out map screen shot for references to place names.

This scenario occurs during the period known as the "Race to the Sea", when both sides were extending the front line north, leap frogging around each other's flank in turn until it eventually reaches Ypres, and the English Channel. Historically, by this date the German and French main infantry line had stretched from the border of Switzerland to Nancy, on to Verdun, Reims, to the Aisne area, then north to this place at Arras. North of this area to the channel was an open area that was up for grabs, with the only sizable force being the Belgian and German forces at Antwerp, which the German attempt to capture Antwerp was commencing on this very day (see the 1914_1001_01s scenario).

Having said that, the key to this scenario at Arras lies in the north. The north is held by cavalry of both sides, since it was, at that time, the open flank. To the south the infantry are advancing to contact as they attempt to extend the main line into their area. Further south off the map is a relatively stagnant front line as both sides have already met in this manner again and again and fought to a stand still.

As was often the case during the Race to the Sea period, one side has a jump on the other in the opening situation, being able to bring more infantry to bear on the flank than the other side can. In this particular case, it is the French who have an early advantage: they have two infantry corps present on the map at start while the Germans only have one. As had happened in each flank battle from the Aisne to this sector, any local superiority of numbers would be pressed forward to attempt to establish a foot hold on the ground and, if possible, to help turn the flank (the primary goal for both sides was to turn in the other's flank, and get around behind them). The Germans might be at a disadvantage here, but it isn't long until their second infantry corps arrives quickly by rail in the coming turns.

The French must press forward with their two infantry corps as quickly as possible. In the far south, the battle will rage along the strategic ridges south west of Arras. If those are given up too quickly then the Germans can bring long range artillery fire to bear on the French west of it, and Arras itself may fall. This sector is actually the most crucial, but the least mobile. In the center, the French must take Vimy Ridge, and push east of it to establish a buffer and put as much pressure on the German cavalry forces that are, at the present time, screening the area. The French can probably not reach Douai in the rear, but the objective is only present to keep the Germans honest, so to speak. By bloodying the German cavalry in the center, or at least putting pressure on them so that they cannot rest, it will keep them from coming into action in another place until they spend valuable time to rest and recover from the initial pressure placed upon them.

Initially the German cavalry forces are essentially spread thin and their main task is screening for the arrival of the I.bayer.Reservekorps, which arrives by rail (as mentioned above). Once the Bavarians have arrived, the Germans can commit them as desired. Should they be massed at one point in the center, or spread out in the center between the Scarpe (the east-west river in the far south) and the Canal de Lens (the northwest river in the north at Lens). Historically they were spread in the center, but however they committed surely depend on how the French commit their forces in the center.

Which leads us back to the statement that the key to the scenario lies in the north. Historically the Bavarians arrived and were sent to the center to counter the German 33e CA's forward progress. The German cavalry in the center was relieved as quickly as possible by these Bavarian infantry, and were sent with all haste to the north flank, the Lens to La Bassee area, to attempt to turn the flank and get around behind the French main force.
Basically, a cavalry on cavalry fight occurred while the infantry fought in the center and south. The key to success for the Germans is not only to recognize this, but to efficiently and quickly be able to reposition your forces as the Bavarians arrive. It is tempting to keep the cavalry in the center and have the Bavarian infantry augment their strength, however, the objectives in the north and the exit hexes are open for the taking if the French cavalry can be successfully overwhelmed. But this is not as easy as it sounds, since the French can and should do their best to foul (pun intended? maybe) up the German movements. The key to throwing a wrench in the German plan is with an early vigorous attack on the German center, as mentioned above, which would both tied down the German cavalry there, increase their fatigue, and delaying this move to the north and any subsequent offensive there.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out and whether or not both sides recognize the situation.
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2010, 07:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:42 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: France '14 AAR Turning the flank !!
Turn 2

[Image: 281bdde6ac2Dzoomout_German_side.jpg]

French commander (Foul) turn 2 thoughts
Rick goes very aggressive on turn 1 pushing his cavalry units forward to try to gain some ground, the cavalry combats are bloody but inconclusive, i hope to make him pay for that strategy as cavalry units will soon be fatigued trying to hold ground against infantry battalions, now he can see the strength of my divisions advancing i expect him to fall back trading time for ground.

In the north i decide to split the 1st Cavalry Corps either side of the Canal de Lens to add firepower to my push at the Harnes river "triangle", it will be another two moves before the full weight of this Corps makes itself felt.

In the centre the 70e & 77e divisions are crossing Vimy Ridge to engage Rick's cavalry screen and push for Fresnoy and Vitry, if he does not fall back i believe he will suffer significant casualties.

In the south the 20e division has occupied the northern ridge and pushed a few km beyond, however the 19e division has only just made the southern ridge and several units are still in T mode, my main concern for the next move is if Rick can gain a foothold on this ridge imperiling my defense of this area.

German commander (RickyB) turn 2 thoughts
I saw the masses moving up in various areas. I did still launch some cavalry attacks - had a good one in the north that killed/captured over 200 men (all cav) at the cost of about 46, and destroyed 2 MG units. I am adjusting my plan, stepping back in the center or grabbing the better terrain, while trying to buy time for infantry to move up. The south saw the appearance of lots of French infantry, so I tried to move up close to the deploying MGs and guns where I could, see if I can chase them back or leave them a bit vulnerable, I hope, next turn.

[Image: 4496f639d7Turn2_zoomin_Germanside3.jpg]

Observer (Volcano) thoughts
Not much to report yet. The I.bayer.Reservekorps is coming up to the front -- it will be interesting to see how they are committed. In the south, contact is being made on the ridges and in the center, the Germans are falling back in front of the French advance. The Germans are attacking toward Lens early, but don't seem to have anything in the north. The French could cross the canal up there and threaten Carvin (the far north German VP hex), or they could make a dash for the exit hexes (the latter is doubtful, but could yield a handful of points. It is recommended that the Germans send something north ASAP to block the canal, and to (ideally push across).
A perfect unit for this would be Jaeger-det.Petersen, which started in Douai, but it is being committed in the frontal attack on Lens, where it might get a good effect.
11-11-2010, 07:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Turn 3

French commander (Foul) turn 3 thoughts:
In the north i continue to press on the Harnes triangle hoping to squeeze Rick back over the river line, it is the security of the river line that i am after and the 250 vp's would be just be a bonus, however Rick is fighting much harder than i expected and the area is the scene of some wild cavalry actions with both Rick and myself taking heavy casualties. I have also sent a division of cavalry on a flanking move to the far north (see image below).

In the centre my two divisions continue to rumble forward, i am hoping that they can do some serious damage to Ricks cavalry defenders if they stand and fight, in this match up the Germans have an considerable advantage in that Rick has battalions of A quality Jaeger infantry attached to his cavalry divisions where my equivalent formations to the north do not, only my Dragoons have a soft attack rating of any value.

In the south i have secured the southern ridge although i expect that Rick may get a foothold in the next turn, having now set up my batteries of deadly "75's" i hope to tear some holes in his ranks.

German commander (RickyB) turn 3 thoughts:
Mainly a consolidation turn, pulling back slightly in a few areas to draw the French onto deployed machine guns, while moving up my reinforcing infantry units by rail. Otherwise, not a lot of action.

Additional note, after the fact. There were a large number of French troops moving forward all along the front. This led me to a cautious approach at this point, to try and buy time for more men to move up. As a result, any shift to the north as I originally planned was put on hold while trying to keep my front together.

[Image: 75d3717bc9Arras_Turn3_French.jpg]

[Image: 9033012162Arras_Turn3_French%20out.jpg]
*Note important high ground indicated by brown areas*

Observer (Volcano) turn 3 thoughts:
In the south I notice that the French have rushed forward of the Tilloy-les-Mofflaines ridge, pushing past it and towards the Germans beyond. It looks like the guns are going to setup on the ridge itself to the rear, but pushing the division beyond the ridge might allow the Germans, coming from Vis-en-Artois) to do more damage than they would if the 20e DI had elected to stack back at the base of the ridge with the guns right behind them. Only the coming turns will determine if the rush forward beyond the ridge pays off.

In the center, the French are approaching Fresnoy-en-Gohelle and Vitry –en-Artois. The Germans have wisely pulled away from these places, but it appears to be extremely vacant from the French side. The French may be able to rush forward and grab up some terrain to cost the Germans more time when they inevitably counter attack here towards Vimy Ridge.

In the Lens area it looks like all hell is breaking loose, every French cavalry unit within 15 km is rushing to one point around Harnes, and the north flank is also being left almost completely open just as it is on the German side. It is a wonder what would happen if the French diverted two more brigades to the north around the flank, rather than hammer into Harnes with them. The northern flank is hanging in the air but it seems that all eyes are fixed on the Lens area at the moment.
11-23-2010, 08:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Turn 4

French commander (Foul) turn 4 thoughts:
In the north i continue to squeeze the Harnes triangle i am hoping that pressure from the north where some of my dragoons have found an unguarded crossing of the Canal d'Aire at Don may force him to evacuate his bridgehead west of the river.

In the centre i had a good move, while the 70e Div is pinning his forces south of Lens the 77e Div is pushing hard against Ricks cavalry division to the south of there and i managed to surround a Jager battalion in Fresnoy and inflict serious casualties!
I have to push hard in this area to take advantage as i expect Rick's reinforcements arrive from Douai at any time.

In the south i have won the race to the ridge and now my 75's can dominate the area and cause losses over a 5 hex radius, again i expect Rick to receive reinforcements in this area soon.

All in all a better move for me, the weight of numbers is starting to tell.........

German commander (RickyB) turn 4 thoughts:
Things are getting very bloody at the front, and my leading units are taking a bit of a beating, although the French attackers are losing fairly heavily also. I had hoped to build up a strong defensive line before they got so many troops into action, now I must decide whether to fight where I am or sacrifice my MG units that are deployed while pulling back other units a bit further. For now, I will fight it out.
I also noticed, as expected, a French cavalry move around my right flank, so a number of cavalry units are heading east to protect my rear areas.

[Image: 624a5fa52eArras_2D_(turn4).jpg]

[Image: c3f868477cArras(turn4).jpg]

Observer (Volcano) thoughts:
The French continue to push forward in the center to gain space, and the German corps that is arriving by rail will surely put the brakes on this advance soon.
It appears that the French are now probing around the north flank and this will force the Germans to divert forces that way from the Lens area. At worst, the French may fortify that northern bridge crossing at Don, which might make a German cavalry advance on La Bassee impossible, or at least very difficult, now.
11-30-2010, 09:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:46 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Turn 5

French commander (Foul) turn 5 thoughts:
In the north my flanking move over the Canal d'Aire via Dun seems to have caught Rick unawares and i notice units being withdrawn from the Harnes triangle to shore up his northern flank, i was hoping this move might persuade Rick to pull back over the river but i am still not sure he is ready to do this?
Below Lens there is hard fighting around Avion, i would like to take this village as i need to straighten up my line and it also clears the rail line of any ZOC should i want to move units quickly from the south later in the game.

In the centre i capture Fresnoy and Vitry, i see the first signs of a fresh reserve division arriving so i expect to make no more progress in this area and will now have to go on the defensive.

In the south i strengthen my hold on the two ridges, from here i can see all of Ricks units and bring fire down on any point, once again this is the logical point at which to cease my move to the east and try to inflict heavy casualties on Rick as he tries to take the ridges back, if i loose them then Arras itself could be threatened.

Overall i am happy with day one, although knowing that Rick has fresh units arriving all the time means things will be a lot harder from now on.

German commander (RickyB) turn 5 thoughts:
At the front, I am moving cavalry to the north to try and prevent the French from exiting to the east. My infantry reserves are moving into position, a bit concentrated south of where I want to put them but I am working to shift one further north while the other strikes to its left, just north of the river.

[Image: 0ef946a094Arras_Turn5_French_.jpg]

[Image: 9730a9c988Arras_Turn5_alt.jpg]

Observer (Volcano) thoughts:
The situation hasn't changed much yet, although the French have been able to get quite a bit of cavalry across the Canal d'Aire this turn. It will be interesting to see how the Germans react to this move in the coming turns.
12-12-2010, 04:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:47 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Turn 6

French commander (Foul) turn 6 thoughts:
In the north it is now clear Rick will not be frightened from the Harnes area and i will have to except my operations in that area are now purely defensive, i just don't have enough units to the north east of the town to threaten Carvin and force him to pull back, south of Lens an interesting situation is developing with my forces closing around Avion a threatening to cut the village off, but once again with a night turn next move i think Rick will tough it out and try to hold on.

In the centre i try to push on Avion from the south but despite overwhelming odds i cannot make any progress and will have to settle down for the night, further south i have halted my advance around Fresnoy/Vitry as further progress east will only stretch my forces and i can see Rick's reserve units arriving, so on day two i expect to come under pressure.

In the south the battle for the ridges has settled down into a waiting game,the next move will be down to Rick, i am happy with the ground i hold.

So at the end of the first day i have a slight advantage in the vp levels of +28 points,as Rick needs to retake 4000 points to achieve a victory i now plan to rest my forces as much as possible on day two, i am concerned at the high levels of fatigue of the units just east of Lens.

See what day two brings??

German commander (RickyB) turn 6 thoughts:
My lines in the center and north are stretched to the limit, but the infantry reserves are arriving further south and stabilizing things pretty well. The far south is stalemate for now, I am building up a base of fire and hope to launch an attack if I can gain superiority through disrupting the French.

[Image: 74e5486f34Arras_turn6.jpg]

[Image: a6de03f14aArras_turn6a.jpg]
12-13-2010, 01:34 AM,
(12-12-2010, 04:49 PM)enigma6584 Wrote: Excellent read. Could you possibly post some screenshots of your units and their fatigue levels? I'm curious to see the state of your units in terms of combat effectiveness. This question goes to the both of you.

Great AAR.

Thanks, Foul and I had fun both testing the game, and playing the scenario for the AAR. Here is a screenshot picked from Turn 11, so a few turns down the road, with 3 groups of units in the north, where Fould is trying to push me out of the bridgehead that he keeps mentioning, and I had to switch important units (one shown) over by this time.

Thanks-I may try to do another one but need to run right now.

Rick

Attached Files
.jpg   NorthUnits.jpg (Size: 111.13 KB / Downloads: 35)
[Image: exercise.png]
01-26-2011, 07:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:52 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Turn 7

Night turn, no images.

French commander (Foul) turn 7 thoughts
Night turn, apart from some bickering not much has changed.

I sense that Rick is going to push hard in the centre area and i have started moving all of my Corps troops to that area to reinforce my existing forces, however i have an uneasy feeling about the coming day and i think i will take advantage of moving first at day break to pull my units in this are back out of his MG/field gun range.

German commander (RickyB) turn 7 thoughts
First night turn, not a lot of action. I am using the night to redeploy guns and infantry along roads for the morning, while digging in for some protection from the French Arty.

Turn 8

Night turn, no images.

French commander (Foul) turn 8 thoughts
The second night turn, i am trying to rest every man i can in anticipation of a heavy attack in the morning, i move first which gives me an advantage as Rick cannot launch a dawn surprise attack, tomorrow will see me slowly withdraw as i can afford to give up many vp hex's and still win, i cannot afford to be caught forward and destroyed in detail.

German commander (RickyB) turn 8 thoughts
Not much to report this turn. Mostly resting, preparing for the next day.

Observer (Volcano) turn 8 comments
As can be expected after a heavy fought first day, both sides appear to be resting with the exception of the reinforcements arriving in the German center, who are moving up to the front.
01-27-2011, 06:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:53 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Turn 9

[Image: 09c5a449ccTurn9_Scarpe_area_2Dzoomin_French.jpg]

[Image: 7f13e739c1Turn9_2D_zoomout_French.jpg]

French commander (Foul) turn 9 thoughts
Daylight on the second day, i have managed to rest a fair amount of my units and nothing dramatic has happened on Rick's side of the line.

In the centre i think he expected a tough fight for Vitry, but the village is far to exposed to be defended, so having held Rick up during the night and let him establish his field arty & MG's i have pulled back out of range as the start of my withdrawal to the Vimy ridge position where my 75's will be most effective.

In the south i think Rick excepts that the ridge position is to tough to take head on and so is going to try to make the position untenable by pushing past the ridges to the north over the Scarpe river, this area is where i believe his big push will be, see if i am right or wrong?

German commander (RickyB) turn 9 thoughts
I have my reserve korps of infantry deployed and moving forward in the center, while the cavalry rests and shifts the rested units north.

I was surprised to see the French fall back on the last bit of night against the left of the 2 reserve divisions there. I was able to push the French back in a few spots, they are disrupting quite a bit which is helping me keep things together. In the south, I mainly fired and moved a couple of units up in preparation for assaulting when the time is right.

Observer (Volcano) thoughts
The fight is about to pick up intensity in the center. The French see the German infantry advancing, and the Germans see the French pulling back to straighten the line to prepare for the collision that will occur.

[Image: a1c6ad9469Turn9_Lens_area_2Dzoomin.jpg]

I included another screen shot out of request - to show typical fatigue level in a heavily fought area.
01-28-2011, 09:19 AM,
I'm surprised regarding French combat effectiveness or morale. It seems pretty low. It most of that from casualties?