• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WitP/AE now on SALE
10-02-2010, 04:48 AM,
WitP/AE now on SALE
Well it ain't long till Christmas so maybe someone could buy it for you.

Who am I to make any comments but this is the best wargame I've ever played well worth the money. Reckon it will give me 3 to 4 years of solid campaign gaming. Then we swap sides !!!.
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2010, 04:25 AM,
RE: WitP/AE now on SALE
(10-02-2010, 04:48 AM)Lowlander Wrote: Well it ain't long till Christmas so maybe someone could buy it for you.

Who am I to make any comments but this is the best wargame I've ever played well worth the money. Reckon it will give me 3 to 4 years of solid campaign gaming. Then we swap sides !!!.

Holy crap! So after reading many reviews I figured I will see about buying WITP-AE, until I checked out the price! Sorry, but no game is worth $83!! (IMO). So I checked out WITP and Matrix wants $65 for it. I don't know, but there prices sure are inflated and will make me not touch one of their titles until I get a demo.

And since they don't seem to want to put out demos......:angry:

Ok, venting done Big Grin
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
10-15-2010, 06:32 PM,
Well I've got at least 60 HPSSIMS titles and they don't do demo's.
Futhermore I can easily manage a few HPS PBEM campaigns each year.

Check out the Matrix WitP/AE forum and you will see for yourself the large number of wargamers playing this title.

And Gary Grigsby's War in the East is in BETA as we speak.

But it's your choice but again it's worth every cent or penny, however as I said it's only my opinion.
10-17-2010, 10:42 AM,
Hey Weasel, I'd second what Lowlander said; AE is unbelievably good. And remember, $80 is really only about $40.....we're all getting older!!

They're not getting rich on this, they are paying programmers to keep it (almost) continually upgraded.
10-18-2010, 09:25 PM,
(10-17-2010, 10:42 AM)Currahee Wrote: .....we're all getting older!!

Especially at the pace that you guys have to play that game Big Grin
No seriously, I would have loved to buy that game. I have checked it out since the first WITP : Struggle against Japan '41 to '45. I am even willing to pay that price for a game that offers as much as this one does. However, my main concern is that it looks like a lot of micro management and very long times to finish a game. I like the micro management to a certain degree but real life makes it difficult to spend that much time on a game. I sometimes even struggle just to finish my turns on SP, and then I'm not even fighting against Japan Big Grin
10-18-2010, 09:51 PM,
Ratel makes some valid points. One move is one game day, and once the game gets going (the first move or two always take a bit more time), a move can take 30 to 40 minutes. At one move per real day, you'll move along at the pace of the real war.

But the full-war campaigns are rarely played, and when they are, the winner is usually apparent after a year or so. Most of the other campaigns will be much shorter, sixty to ninety days.

The game is not perfect; one issue is the lack of new scenarios in the AE version. The game comes with a strong scenario editor, so eventually they'll be out there, but right now it's a bit thin. Design of new scenarios was apparently not a priority as the worked to get AE shipped. There are some starting to go up in the Matrix user forums.

And Tsunami and I are finding that in Guadalcanal, it's hard for the Japanese side to win....American B-17 and B-24 bombers, and mediums as well, seem to dominate the scenario, whereas historically, they hardly played a role at that stage. This would be an easy fix, but it'll need to be fixed before I play this scenario again from the IJN side!
10-19-2010, 12:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2010, 12:32 PM by Weasel.)
I have been doing a lot of reading on both WITP and AE version and it seems that the AE version is almost too much in depth now, taking a long time to play.

But even if were $40 I wouldn't just go dump the coin on the game hoping that I liked it. I am still waiting on my friend to let me know if he still owns WITP, but that was 3 weeks ago he was going to check.

I did just buy Empire: Total War though without a demo, but I own TW, TW2 and RTW and I enjoy those so it isn't really a blind purchase.
(10-18-2010, 09:25 PM)Ratel Wrote:
(10-17-2010, 10:42 AM)Currahee Wrote: .....we're all getting older!!

Especially at the pace that you guys have to play that game Big Grin
No seriously, I would have loved to buy that game. I have checked it out since the first WITP : Struggle against Japan '41 to '45. I am even willing to pay that price for a game that offers as much as this one does. However, my main concern is that it looks like a lot of micro management and very long times to finish a game. I like the micro management to a certain degree but real life makes it difficult to spend that much time on a game. I sometimes even struggle just to finish my turns on SP, and then I'm not even fighting against Japan Big Grin

I don't play SP anymore (except for my one tournament which I refuse to drop out of, I hate it when players do that). While I enjoyed it, after 400 games I found it to be the same cake with slightly different icing each time.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
01-26-2011, 02:08 AM,
I purchased this about 3 weeks ago and am having a blast. It is such a deep, entertaining game. Very much well worth the price. You spend your time trying to secure bases for air and land movement, fighting over these prime pieces of real estate in order to advance just a bit further up the island chain.

Then you move to mainland China and try to hold back the Imperial Army or if playing Japan, try to conquer all of China. There is so much depth to it you are missing out if you pass on this game.
01-26-2011, 06:02 AM,
It's one of my all-time favorites. I started out with Grigsby's War in the South Pacific (basically, the Solomons campaign) published by SSI; saw the several-years-later quais-rip-off Battles of the South Pacific enjoy a spike in popularity; played the interesting but deeply flawed Pacific War (when the suits decided people with enough money to buy these games wouldn't know the difference between hourly/daily turns, and weekly turns.....but try simming a carrier battle with weekly turns!).....and finally on to WITP, and now AE.

The complexity in AE isn't as bad as it seems at first glance, especially if you have played WITP. But to get the most out of your bases, auxiliary vessels, and aircraft, there are about 10 or 12 pages you need to mark or dog-ear, and keep going back to. Rearming is a big deal, both of surface combatants, aircraft, and especially, torpedo-capable aircraft. It's a bit frustrating if you haven't figured out why your torpedo-capable aircraft are still dropping bombs on surface ships (and missing, I might add). Likewise, rearming of subs, surface-torps, and mines. Ship repair seems mind-bogglingly complex, until you realize that it's pretty much automated from the repair screens, based on base size, presence or absence of shipyards, and presence or absence of naval support squads. It's great, though, that you can prioritze the repair of selected ships.
01-26-2011, 06:41 AM,
How are damaged ships and planes handled? Are they shown being damaged with visible smoke and fire?

Does anyone have any links to screen shots of the game besides the Matrix site?

Thanks