• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Mod for Panzer Campaigns Smolensk
09-28-2010, 12:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2010, 11:47 PM by Philippe.)
Mod for Panzer Campaigns Smolensk
One of my mods that has just moved over to Task Force Echo Four is a new mod for Panzer Campaigns Smolensk.

This mod uses earlier mods by Volcano Man and Jison but takes them a step further.

The map in 2D zoomed-out mode looks like the map in 2D zoomed-in mode and is fully functional.

Hexgrids can be turned off when you don't want to see them.

The map uses a new parchment-textured surface that makes terrain features easier to read.

The map terrain features have been repainted and reconfigured several times in different ways for each geographical theatre, but always in the style and palette of Jison's Mapmod.

Fortifications and minefields that used to clutter up the 2D map with extra counters now appear to be part of the map surface when they come into view.

All of the unit counters and victory location flags have been repainted in a new style. Three different sets of victory location flags have been provided: regular, faded, and rippled.

The 2-D graphic unit icons have been touched up.

Symbols in the unit portrait boxes are clearly visible and never overlap each other.

Although I've generally avoided making changes to Volcano Man's image selection that I didn't feel were necessary, a few new images have been introduced. Summer and winter camouflage tend to appear in the correct season, and German vehicles and guns are in dunkelgrau and never in dunkelgelb since the game takes place before 1943.

The background for all the unit portraits is a detail from a period military map, and the default art for the vertical and horizontal sidebars that hold the unit portrait boxes comes from period Russian military maps as well. The mod has a selection of alternate sidebars including the original HPS sidebars and a sampling of Volcano Man's.

3D Units have been repainted to more authentic colors (the lime green uniforms have been burned).

The 3D unit counters and unit bases have been repainted along the lines of the 2D counter colors, but with a new style of 3D victory location marker.

And the image that you see before the scenario loading screen is usually a representative period photograph or a piece of Soviet commemorative art.

This mod looks best in the Volcano Man _alt scenarios but works with the standard scenarios as well.

To see a few screenshots of this mod visit this thread at GameSquad forums:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.p...s-Smolensk

The mod itself is available on the Panzer Campaigns page at Task Force Echo Four:

http://tfe4.wordpress.com/graphics-and-s...ps-titles/

And I'd like to say a huge thank you to TheBigRedOne for giving my mods a new home.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
Quote this message in a reply