• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help with Assault on Wielke Dzial
09-22-2010, 12:07 PM,
Help with Assault on Wielke Dzial
Hello All:

I need some advice on how to win this scenario with the Russians. The Germans have 3 x Flammpanzers B2(f). The only Guns I have are the 76mm Field Gun M27 (which fires 76mm DF - what is that??) and 45mm AT Gun M37.

How do you figure out from the data if these can hurt the Flammpanzers?

Thanks,

Gerry
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2010, 08:39 PM,
RE: Help with Assault on Wielke Dzial
Right click on the weapon. Check out the lethality and penetration values. An infantry gun like M27 will have high lethality but low penetration which makes it effective against soft and lightly armored targets. 45mm gun would have lower lethality (because of the small round) but higher penetration (beacuse of the projectile's speed). Always use higher penetration rounds against tanks. DF is direct fire which means gun -otherwise an artillery piece- can fire directly against the targets.
09-23-2010, 08:32 AM,
Thanks.

I checked the data and my AT Gun has a Penetration of 30 and the Flammpanzer has an Armor value of 40. Does this mean the Gun is hopeless in this case?

Gerry

(09-22-2010, 08:39 PM)Ozgur Budak Wrote: Right click on the weapon. Check out the lethality and penetration values. An infantry gun like M27 will have high lethality but low penetration which makes it effective against soft and lightly armored targets. 45mm gun would have lower lethality (because of the small round) but higher penetration (beacuse of the projectile's speed). Always use higher penetration rounds against tanks. DF is direct fire which means gun -otherwise an artillery piece- can fire directly against the targets.
09-23-2010, 01:48 PM,
You'll need a flank or rear shot to have effect...
09-23-2010, 06:05 PM,
Russian 45mm AT gun will have hard time dealing with a 40 armor. Try to fire in close range and as Mike mentioned, with flank shots. That means holding your fire till the right time. If you fire too early and cannot destroy the enemy vehicle you will give them opportunity to supress you in long range.

note: AT guns on covered terrain remain hidden with two conditions; crew must be on ground and it has to hold its fire.
09-24-2010, 01:40 AM,
Thank you both.

Would I be able to keep a Gun hidden if I have infantry/MG teams in the same hexes - this is mostly the case in this scenario (All Guns are located with squads in some kind of fortification). Infantry are usually firing and I think I need them to as the enemy is crossing open ground and the only way I can see to rack up points is to kill as many as possible.

Thanks again,
Gerry

(09-23-2010, 06:05 PM)Ozgur Budak Wrote: Russian 45mm AT gun will have hard time dealing with a 40 armor. Try to fire in close range and as Mike mentioned, with flank shots. That means holding your fire till the right time. If you fire too early and cannot destroy the enemy vehicle you will give them opportunity to supress you in long range.

note: AT guns on covered terrain remain hidden with two conditions; crew must be on ground and it has to hold its fire.
09-24-2010, 02:38 AM,
If the AT gun does not fire, but the MG does, only the MG will be spotted. The AT will still feel the (concealed) effect of fire though. (So they could be come disrupted/pinned/suffer casualties.)
09-24-2010, 03:06 AM,
Gun-Armor Match-ups
Thanks for the great help. Back to the Gun-Armor Match-ups for a sec. Is there a formula to get an idea of which Guns can hurt which Tanks. I am assuming this is a big tactical issue - which AFVs can stand up to the enemy ones and so on. Or maybe some comparison chart??

Tanks,
Gerry
09-24-2010, 09:13 AM,
I don't know of any charts, but comparing the armour and penetration values is a good way to start. Just open up different scenarios without Fog of war on, and compare the different vehicles and guns. If you wanted to make a chart, I'm sure others on the board would appreciate having it as a reference. ;)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

09-24-2010, 12:03 PM,
Hello:
Problem is I don't understand the numbers. Is it as simple as you need a Penetration value greater than the Armor value to have a chance to kill the AFV from the side?
I would have the same problem looking at "Heavy Tanks at Rossienie" where the PzKw III E only have a Penetration of 40 and the KV-1s have an Armor rating of 70.
Thanks,
Gerry