• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Infantry Against Tanks 1941
09-11-2010, 09:28 AM,
Infantry Against Tanks 1941
It's 1941 and three STUG B's parked outside a building holding some Russian infantry (mine). Had read on this site that molotov's are useless and that turned out to be the case here.

Also read that "follow vehicle" was useless.

These assault guns were the early models with no MG, just the big gun.

All the comrades had left were bullets and grenades. Had one squad fire at the rear STUG in the line ahead formation, another advanced on him. The veteran crew bolted and were shot down or grenaded.

As the middle STUG swiveled to fire it's gun at 35m, "hit" appeared above it twice.

Can anyone explain what's going on? Did we just scare the crew out of their vehicle? Is that the only hope infantry with grenades have against a tank? No stuffing grenades down the barrel or vision slit (i.e., abstracted as "knock-out" instead of "abandoned")?

What does "hit" mean? Never saw it before.

Any insights appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2010, 10:44 AM,
RE: Infantry Against Tanks 1941
Several things are happening all at once.

First, the Soviet infantry have to get rid of their worthless Molotov Cocktails. If they have these they will attack with them first.

Second, once they have used the Molotov Cocktails any grenades they have will be considered either anti-personnel or anti-tank. Whichever target they attack will get those modifiers.

Third, the top hits are from the AT grenades hitting the StuG's.

Fourth, the crews of the attacked StuG's are abandoning them because of the infantry assaults. Then your infantry is shooting down in the open. Crews can and sometimes do abandon vehicles that could still fight. Most of the time they abandon damaged ones. If you select the enemy vehicle it will tell you if it's been knocked out or abandoned.

Hit means the AFV has been hit by an anti-vehicle weapon of some sort. Something that can do damage to it.

Hope this helps.

Good Hunting.

MR
09-11-2010, 11:21 AM,
Thanks Mad Russian, and also regarding the factory question.

In desperation, and not knowing what to do, had one squad fire, the other rush the STUG (using advance), both starting at 30-35m from the "tank." Not sure which one did the damage (maybe both).

This worked beyond my dreams, but was there a better way?
09-14-2010, 04:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2010, 04:13 AM by Bear.)
Molotov Cocktails are not worthless.

They will knock out armor and/or cause the armor crew to do a morale check and possibly retreat or abandon the vehicle.

The quality/experience of men using the molotovs and that of the targeted armor/crew are factors that determine the result of a Hit. Also, the leadership factors when in command and control range.
Many times I've seen an axis tank reverse from a molotov hit or miss and back into another infantry unit's molotov attack that ends that dance.

i.e. A Soviet Guards (Veteran, Crack, Elite) Platoon loaded with Molotovs, is an axis tanker nightmare, especially in close quarters street fight. Let's not forget the Soviet Anti Tank teams.
Send this user an email
09-14-2010, 05:08 AM,
My experience with molotovs is that they are not as effective at taking out tanks as are just regular grenades, but this is partly offset by the tank's fear of them. A enemy tank will regularly back off when confronted by the cocktails. As stated above, sometimes you can force an enemy to move by targeting enemy tanks with infantry with cocktails, and give an AT gun or friendly tank a good side shot at the now buttoned and retreating tank.
09-17-2010, 02:01 PM,
Yeah, one time in fifty they work great. The other forty-nine times they get the infantry using them killed.

Good Hunting.

MR
09-17-2010, 02:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2010, 01:48 AM by Bear.)
I recommend playing
"E3 Retrograde Movement" by ? It is available on the CMBB scenario list. I remember watching my comrades cook up three German tanks, with Molotovs, in that one battle.

But to further substantiate the usefulness of the Molotov, also try:
  • GUDERIAN ENTERS THE WAR
  • BORISOV BREAKOUT
  • THE STREETS OF STALINGRAD

Scenarios with good chances to bake up a German tank with Molotovs. Yes, men against tanks is very dangerous business
Send this user an email
09-19-2010, 01:37 AM,
Here is a discussion concerning using Molotov Cocktails in scenarios.

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/tip_r...ml?sku=556

Good Hunting.

MR
09-19-2010, 03:10 AM,
Good link, specially for those designing a battle. they do have their place as history shows, but history is full of super weapons that were far from super. The flaming bottle of spirits being one of them.
09-20-2010, 01:57 AM,
(09-19-2010, 03:10 AM)Ratzki Wrote: Good link, specially for those designing a battle. they do have their place as history shows, but history is full of super weapons that were far from super. The flaming bottle of spirits being one of them.

The Russian version of the Molotov Cocktail used gasoline as the incendiary, not vodka. Fiery
Send this user an email