• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Minsk Campaign - Balanced?
09-07-2010, 04:50 AM,
Minsk Campaign - Balanced?
Landser and I want to play a Minsk Campaign. From reviewing the stats it seems like the Soviets have a crushing, overwhelming advantage in the stock scenario, so this is probably out.

1. I found no stats for VMs alt version - how does it compare?
2. Are there any home grown versions which are more balanced? I noticed that Cav has one posted; any others? I thought I once saw that Marty listed one but I can't find it.
3. Anyway, since it is so long I want for both of us to have a fair chance of winning; the stock version seems full of more holes than Swiss cheese in terms of play balance; any good ideas on how to balance it vp wise?

Thanks,

Marquo
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2010, 05:24 AM,
RE: Minsk Campaign - Balanced?
(09-07-2010, 04:50 AM)Marquo Wrote: Landser and I want to play a Minsk Campaign. From reviewing the stats it seems like the Soviets have a crushing, overwhelming advantage in the stock scenario, so this is probably out.

1. I found no stats for VMs alt version - how does it compare?
2. Are there any home grown versions which are more balanced? I noticed that Cav has one posted; any others? I thought I once saw that Marty listed one but I can't find it.
3. Anyway, since it is so long I want for both of us to have a fair chance of winning; the stock version seems full of more holes than Swiss cheese in terms of play balance; any good ideas on how to balance it vp wise?

Thanks,

Marquo

Sgt Fury's campaign seems a popular rebalanced campaign.

This can be found in the stickied modified scenario thread.

I have played stock and have just started Fury's scenario, both times as the Soviets, and you can certainly feel the difference. Against a competent opponent, achieving the VP's for a win is going to require some thought as you can't just brute force your way through as in stock. If you over extend yourself at the wrong time the Germans have enough Panthers and Tigers to really ruin your day.
09-07-2010, 07:26 AM,
There are two Mods versions of the CG both built on the _alt version, one by Sgt Fury and one by cavalry corps, both have been optimised for H2H play, you can DL them from here......

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/HPS-...t&game=108
09-14-2010, 02:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2010, 02:20 AM by bwv.)
Why is the VM alt version of the Minsk CG is not listed there - is this an oversight?
09-14-2010, 03:12 AM,
(09-14-2010, 02:20 AM)bwv Wrote: Why is the VM alt version of the Minsk CG is not listed there - is this an oversight?

I think you need to go to VM's site to get that.

http://volcanomods.com/index.php?option=...e&Itemid=1
09-14-2010, 03:20 AM,
No, I mean on the scoring. I am 80+ turns into the _alt Minsk CG and do not see a way to post the results when the game is done
09-14-2010, 03:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2010, 03:53 AM by Ricky B.)
Foul is making a concerted effort to add in the alt scenarios, for the campaigns he owns. I will be assisting him when time permits - our goal is to have all of them loaded by the end of the year, if you or anyone are finishing a game and want to report it for one that isn't listed, or any other alternate scenarios, let Foul or myself know and we will get it added right away.

And it isn't an oversight as such, we make sure the stock scenarios are added in right away, and frequently there aren't any alt scenarios until later, so it isn't always something that is thought of until someone wants to post a result.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-14-2010, 05:08 AM,
(09-14-2010, 03:20 AM)bwv Wrote: No, I mean on the scoring. I am 80+ turns into the _alt Minsk CG and do not see a way to post the results when the game is done

I really need to wear my glasses more often. :coffee:
09-14-2010, 05:23 AM,
(09-14-2010, 03:52 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Foul is making a concerted effort to add in the alt scenarios, for the campaigns he owns. I will be assisting him when time permits - our goal is to have all of them loaded by the end of the year, if you or anyone are finishing a game and want to report it for one that isn't listed, or any other alternate scenarios, let Foul or myself know and we will get it added right away.

And it isn't an oversight as such, we make sure the stock scenarios are added in right away, and frequently there aren't any alt scenarios until later, so it isn't always something that is thought of until someone wants to post a result.

Rick
Indeed i am making slow progress, more than half the titles now done. :smoke:

BTW is only applies to Ed's _Alt scenarios, all the stock and Mod scenarios are loaded. Big Grin
09-15-2010, 02:44 AM,
I have checked Sgt Fury's campaign and though it seems to be more playable than the stock I still think that with a moderate russian play the germans are doomed.

force ratio :
-460.000 vs. 250.000 men -> and a significant part of the soviet army consists of guards units

-12.000 vs. 3.000 guns -> if the germans try to make a stand somewhere they will be vaporized in a few turns by the heavy artillery

-6.000 vs. 1.500 vehicles

-2.400 vs. 223 planes...... -> this combined with the 25% air availability and the meagre 15% Axis Air Interception results in a deadly mix..

And not to forget that the Germans will loose considerable amount of units during first turns of the soviet breakthrough.

I havent played a single minute with the campaign but by just looking at the numbers and the starting situation I cannot see any possible way for the german player to avoid certain defeat.

So if I were you Marquo I would choose another title to play.
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"