• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

White screen bug when selecting units in RV
08-30-2010, 09:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2010, 09:32 AM by FroBodine.)
White screen bug when selecting units in RV
I have recently started getting a white screen bug in RV when I select units. It happens in every game I play. When I have 's' or 'c' selected to show visible hexes or movement hexes, respectively, then I select a unit, most of the screen turns completely white and the lower informational strip along the bottom of the screen gets messed up. If I scroll the map the white goes away, but I have to click around before the informational bar clears up. This constantly happens in any game I play, even when starting a brand new game of RV.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is there a solution for it? Or should I reinstall the game, which I'd rather not do because I have a bunch of graphic mods and scenarios that I would have to replace.

--------------------------------------
Hmm, I just tried Eagles Strike, and it's happening there too. I wonder if the latest Nvidia drivers have caused this? I recently upgraded.

Please let me know if anyone is experiencing this problem, and if there is a solution. Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2010, 08:32 PM,
RE: White screen bug when selecting units in RV
Are you running the games as Administrator?
08-30-2010, 11:53 PM,
You wouldn't happen to be running Windows 7, would you?

If so, you might take a look at https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=53628
08-31-2010, 02:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-31-2010, 02:17 AM by FroBodine.)
(08-30-2010, 11:53 PM)Rabbit Wrote: You wouldn't happen to be running Windows 7, would you?

If so, you might take a look at https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=53628

Yes, I am running Windows 7.

Rabbit - I read your thread, but I did not see a resolution to this problem. Your last post said you still have the problem. Did you ever find a solution?

I will try running the game as administrator and see if that helps. That is what Rich from HPS suggested. It must have something to do with the lates NVidia drivers, because both RV and ES worked fine for me on Windows 7 until I updated my video drivers.

If anyone is running Windows 7 and has upgraded to the latest NVidia drivers, dated July 2010, please let me know if you are experiencing this same problem.

Thanks!
08-31-2010, 03:33 AM,
I heard from another customer today who rolled back his NVidia drivers and that resolved the problem for him as well - so that looks like the most common resolution.
08-31-2010, 04:56 AM,
(08-31-2010, 03:33 AM)rahamy Wrote: I heard from another customer today who rolled back his NVidia drivers and that resolved the problem for him as well - so that looks like the most common resolution.

Thanks. Well, I hope HPS fixes this, because I don't want to have to be stuck with an old version of the drivers forever.
08-31-2010, 05:26 AM,
Well...that's a pretty tall order, because NVidia is only 1 card maker, and there's a lot of different models of their cards alone - Tiller programs on standards put forth by Microsoft & DirectX, so that's what he'll conform to & the video card manufactures should as well. Its impossible to support each different manufacture if they all go out and do their own thing.
09-11-2010, 04:46 AM,
I had been experiencing this issue and wanted to provide an update. (I have a NVidia Quadro NVS 135M video adapter on Windows 7.)

I rolled my driver back to the Verde Notebook Release 256 driver (from June 2010), but that didn't help. I rolled it back a step further to the Verde Notebook Release 197 (from March 2010) and so far it appears to have resolved the issue!
11-02-2010, 03:31 AM,
I also had this problem under Windows 7 on my Notebook. And I found a solution.

I changed the display mode to "Connection to a projector" and then "Doubled" the screen (without connecting anything).
Because my notebook has a size of 15:10 this changes a little bit of the Windows icons and their position (don´t know why), but when starting Squad Battles (for example Advance of the Reich), the error is fixed. Only about every 100th click a short white screen appears (mostly when AI is active), but this is no big problem.

(HPS idea of installing an older NVIDIA driver wasn´t a good solution, because many other games would crash.)

I hope this unconventional idea can help you and all the other players.

Greetings from a new member! Kalorn/Germany
11-02-2010, 03:54 AM,
(11-02-2010, 03:31 AM)Kalorn Wrote: I also had this problem under Windows 7 on my Notebook. And I found a solution.

I changed the display mode to "Connection to a projector" and then "Doubled" the screen (without connecting anything).
Because my notebook has a size of 15:10 this changes a little bit of the Windows icons and their position (don´t know why), but when starting Squad Battles (for example Advance of the Reich), the error is fixed. Only about every 100th click a short white screen appears (mostly when AI is active), but this is no big problem.

(HPS idea of installing an older NVIDIA driver wasn´t a good solution, because many other games would crash.)

I hope this unconventional idea can help you and all the other players.

Greetings from a new member! Kalorn/Germany

Welcome to the club. Thanks for your input!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4