• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thinking of buying a Squad Battle Game
08-23-2010, 06:14 AM,
Thinking of buying a Squad Battle Game
Hi All,

I own a couple of the Pzc's (Stalingrad and Bulge) and Antietam... I've enjoyed them all.. thinking of trying out Squad Battles...

Question.. do all the games have the 3D representation like in Eagles Strike and Red Victory (saw the 3d sprites on the hPS site)...

I like WW2, but was thinking of one of the Vietnam ones because of the use of Helos... But still Eagles Strike and Red Victory look good, so might go with one of those..

Are their nice graphic modes out there? Like Mapmod for Pzc's?

Also, since these are 'newer' games do they require the CD to play?

Thanks in advance...
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2010, 07:31 AM,
RE: Thinking of buying a Squad Battle Game
(08-23-2010, 06:14 AM)cmurphy625 Wrote: Question.. do all the games have the 3D representation like in Eagles Strike and Red Victory (saw the 3d sprites on the hPS site)...

No. ES, Advance of the Reich and Red Victory are the only ones with 3D capabilities

Quote:I like WW2, but was thinking of one of the Vietnam ones because of the use of Helos... But still Eagles Strike and Red Victory look good, so might go with one of those..

SAW has helos as well, as does TOD. I'd pick a conflict that you really like and start your SB collection from there. Red Victory, being the newest, has all the latest updates to the game engine, but the entire series was updated over the last year. For my money, I'd start with RV and go from there.

Quote:Are their nice graphic modes out there? Like Mapmod for Pzc's?

Check out Task Force Echo Four (in my sig file). There are a lot of graphics enhancements available there.

Quote:Also, since these are 'newer' games do they require the CD to play?

None of the games require the disc any longer.

Welcome to the SB world. I think you'll enjoy it, and the community is a good one to answer any questions you have. Poke around Task Force Echo 4 and see what's out there for all the titles....

A
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-23-2010, 07:50 AM,
K.. Thanks a lot!!.. I ended up ordering Red Victory.. was torn between that and ES.. I see ES had mods on the site you pointed out.. but RV had so many more scenarios.... looking forward to it!
08-23-2010, 09:25 AM,
RV is a ton of fun, every scenario I've played is great. You'll definitely enjoy it, welcome to the SB ladder. :)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

08-23-2010, 03:37 PM,
Good choice
Agree wit MD , Red Victory is a lot of fun

welcome as well
244 games with legend that is Richie61
08-23-2010, 04:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2010, 04:55 PM by Atle.)
(08-23-2010, 06:14 AM)cmurphy625 Wrote: Question.. do all the games have the 3D representation like in Eagles Strike and Red Victory (saw the 3d sprites on the hPS site)...

As mentioned, ES, AotR and RV have 3D graphics. But there is also a 3D graphics package for The Proud and the Few, which can be downloaded from the HPS website :smoke:
08-25-2010, 05:54 PM,
I'd just like to suggest KW (Korean War). It's got 70+ scenarios & some of the best designer's notes that I've ever seen in a game...
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
08-25-2010, 06:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2010, 06:43 PM by Ozgur Budak.)
Please dont be shy about posting your thoughts on RV. Any feedback is much helpful for future design.
08-25-2010, 11:16 PM,
(08-25-2010, 05:54 PM)Gasbag Wrote: I'd just like to suggest KW (Korean War). It's got 70+ scenarios & some of the best designer's notes that I've ever seen in a game...

I agree with this statement fully. Not only are the stock scenarios solid, but there are many put together post-release, as well as some nice art/vehicles mods. It's a very under-rated title. Most of the non-WWII titles tend to get less play, but all of them WW, SAW and the Vietnam games are also very, very good.

You really can't go wrong with any title you choose.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-27-2010, 12:33 AM,
K.. I arrived yesterday.. and I must say, big difference from Panzer Campaigns!!!.. But in a good way, I think I'll really enjoy doing battle at a squad level, seems more 'personal' that way.... Although, one thing right off the bat that seems weird to me... Soviet AT guns seem way to resilient!!!.. I mean when I'm hitting a gun with KT's and Panthers (should I not have been using HE?).. I would assume it to get knocked out eventually.. The one AT gun I was trying to take out survived the scenario and knocked out at least 6 251s and two FlakPanzer IV's...