• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Accidental moves...
07-21-2010, 04:15 AM,
c_Question Mark  Accidental moves...
This may be a previously covered topic but I'd like to know if there is a way to undo an accidental move when playing with fog of war enabled. I know that it's possible with the Panzer Campaigns series & I was just wondering if you can do this with Squad Battles. Even though I try to be careful accidents will happen occasionally...:hissy:

Thanks.:)
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2010, 06:28 PM,
RE: Accidental moves...
No, as far as I remember it is not possible in PzC series either.

(07-21-2010, 04:15 AM)Gasbag Wrote: This may be a previously covered topic but I'd like to know if there is a way to undo an accidental move when playing with fog of war enabled. I know that it's possible with the Panzer Campaigns series & I was just wondering if you can do this with Squad Battles. Even though I try to be careful accidents will happen occasionally...:hissy:

07-21-2010, 07:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2010, 07:51 PM by jomni.)
Reload the save game.
Send this user an email
07-21-2010, 10:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2010, 11:04 PM by TheBigRedOne.)
(07-21-2010, 07:51 PM)jomni Wrote: Reload the save game.

This statement concerns me, not necessarily directed at you, but at the concept.

I think if anyone is going to go this route, one really needs to tell the person that you're doing a PBEM with what happened. White Eagle had the game lock up on him during our match and offered to take a loss because he replayed the turn. I told him that as long as he told me, that it was fine. It happens. My games crash every so often during assaults, so I save the game every couple of moves as I go along, just in case

That said, you can see where this could be considered a 'gamey' tactic. Don't like the way the assault turned out, replay the turn. Get ambushed and lose a vehicle full of men, replay the turn. If an opponent starts to notice that every assault you make is successful, it could plant the seed in his mind that one is simply replaying the game over and over until you get the desired result. A player like this will find themselves with fewer and few opponents if this reputation sticks, and if someone believes a player is doing this, I would expect them to let Mad_Dog and I know, as it's a violation of our club's rules.

An honorable player accepts the results he sees in a PBEM and moves forward. Mistakes happen, including incorrect movements. Accept and deal with it as part of battle. No one individual mis-step should cost a player the entire game.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-22-2010, 01:42 AM,
(07-21-2010, 10:54 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(07-21-2010, 07:51 PM)jomni Wrote: Reload the save game.

This statement concerns me, not necessarily directed at you, but at the concept.

I think if anyone is going to go this route, one really needs to tell the person that you're doing a PBEM with what happened. White Eagle had the game lock up on him during our match and offered to take a loss because he replayed the turn. I told him that as long as he told me, that it was fine. It happens. My games crash every so often during assaults, so I save the game every couple of moves as I go along, just in case

That said, you can see where this could be considered a 'gamey' tactic. Don't like the way the assault turned out, replay the turn. Get ambushed and lose a vehicle full of men, replay the turn. If an opponent starts to notice that every assault you make is successful, it could plant the seed in his mind that one is simply replaying the game over and over until you get the desired result. A player like this will find themselves with fewer and few opponents if this reputation sticks, and if someone believes a player is doing this, I would expect them to let Mad_Dog and I know, as it's a violation of our club's rules.

An honorable player accepts the results he sees in a PBEM and moves forward. Mistakes happen, including incorrect movements. Accept and deal with it as part of battle. No one individual mis-step should cost a player the entire game.

Very well said! We play to have fun, not to work the system to get the best results each turn. It's too bad that Squad Battles does not have a method of dealing with possible "reloaders", like the SSG Battles in Normandy, Italy, etc. do.

Play on!
07-22-2010, 02:09 AM,
(07-22-2010, 01:42 AM)FroBodine Wrote: Very well said! We play to have fun, not to work the system to get the best results each turn. It's too bad that Squad Battles does not have a method of dealing with possible "reloaders", like the SSG Battles in Normandy, Italy, etc. do.

Play on!

I told White Eagle that it didn't really matter to me. If someone's going to do it, there's not a whole lot one can do. It would be very hard to prove, and in the long run, might make me play a better game.

That said, at the end of the day you have to look within yourself and ask if you played the right way.

The guys I play with play for fun and for a good match. That's what it's really all about.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-22-2010, 10:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-22-2010, 11:11 AM by jomni.)
Good points. I was only pointing out the only way that I know off. Shouldn't encourage people from doing it. As for me I won't bother correcting an accidental move.

Shouldn't the game use a same random seed that makes results somewhat consistent despite reloading. This is what's being done in WITP.
Send this user an email
07-22-2010, 12:08 PM,
FWIW,

Consider an accidental move, clicking in the wrong place etc. in any game system to just be one of those things that happens in the confusion of actual combat. Just continue the turn. We have all made mistakes in playing a turn. Once I even advanced a turn by mistake before I was finished. It just happens.

In the long run, a small mistake like that should not be the end of one's chance to play a good game. Things happen outside the control of a commander all the time on the battlefield. Consider a bad click that you regret making as one of those things. As it is, our digital soldiers are far too obedient and brave. Commanders never have anywhere near the control most games give you as a player.

Just let it go and laugh about it later with your opponent when revealing you goof makes no difference. You may even find they were totally unaware of your putz.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
07-22-2010, 05:23 PM,
(07-21-2010, 06:28 PM)Ozgur Budak Wrote: No, as far as I remember it is not possible in PzC series either.

(07-21-2010, 04:15 AM)Gasbag Wrote: This may be a previously covered topic but I'd like to know if there is a way to undo an accidental move when playing with fog of war enabled. I know that it's possible with the Panzer Campaigns series & I was just wondering if you can do this with Squad Battles. Even though I try to be careful accidents will happen occasionally...:hissy:

Actually it is possible in Panzer Campaigns if you follow this procedure:

"How to Undo when using Fog-of-War

Don't you just hate it when with a click of at mouse, you accidental move a unit that you didn't intend to. It has made some players ask why the Undo Last Movement command isn't available while Fog-of-War (FOW) is ON. The answer is that it discourages players from taking back a bad move.

However, accidents do happen and there is a way to Undo the Move as long as it did not trigger Fire by the non-phasing players. Here is what you do.

Do NOT click anywhere on the map - if you do, your action cannot be undone

Press the "4" to change the map to 3D Normal. This will zoom you in as close as possible.

Scroll the Map to a location behind your lines where no enemy units will be seen

From the A/I menu, select the Manual setting for the AI side.

From the Command menu, select the Undo Last Movement command

From the A/I menu, select the FOW setting for the AI side.

Press the "2" to change the map to 2D Normal and continue your game normally."

I was wondering if this would work with Squad Battles. It isn't my intention to cheat as that just defeats the purpose of playing.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
07-22-2010, 05:59 PM,
looks like an exploit they "fixed" in Squad Battles.
Send this user an email