• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France '14 Campaign Opponent wanted
06-22-2010, 05:26 AM,
France '14 Campaign Opponent wanted
Gentlemen,

Looking for someone to play the Allied Powers in scenario: 0822_01 Early Campaign "Home before the leaves fall" using the default rules.
For the next two weeks I'm on vacation at home with plenty of time on my hands let's play.

Grrr
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2010, 10:20 AM,
RE: France '14 Campaign Opponent wanted
"Looking for someone to play the Allied Powers in scenario: 0822_01 Early Campaign "Home before the leaves fall" using the default rules. For the next two weeks I'm on vacation at home with plenty of time on my hands let's play."

This scenario makes the F 40 campaign look tiny. I've played a few F 40 campaigns and it is really huge; the Germans have c. 350,000 men and 5000 guns. In F 14, make that ONE MILLION three hundred thousand men and 5,600 guns for the Huns. How many moves do you think you can get off in 2 weeks? The last F40 campaign I played, me and my opponent were really into it and we played 1 turn a day for 50 turns and then slowed down a bit. We started in summer, and in winter I got the flu and we had to suspend the game c. 75 turns in. F 14 in 3x larger, including the map which is c. 50% larger! I'm sure all the play testing was done in team games. What I'm saying is, I'd love to play but I suspect it is physically impossible for any normally constructed human being to play this campaign alone. jonny :conf:
06-22-2010, 11:07 PM,
(06-22-2010, 10:20 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: "Looking for someone to play the Allied Powers in scenario: 0822_01 Early Campaign "Home before the leaves fall" using the default rules. For the next two weeks I'm on vacation at home with plenty of time on my hands let's play."

This scenario makes the F 40 campaign look tiny. I've played a few F 40 campaigns and it is really huge; the Germans have c. 350,000 men and 5000 guns. In F 14, make that ONE MILLION three hundred thousand men and 5,600 guns for the Huns. How many moves do you think you can get off in 2 weeks? The last F40 campaign I played, me and my opponent were really into it and we played 1 turn a day for 50 turns and then slowed down a bit. We started in summer, and in winter I got the flu and we had to suspend the game c. 75 turns in. F 14 in 3x larger, including the map which is c. 50% larger! I'm sure all the play testing was done in team games. What I'm saying is, I'd love to play but I suspect it is physically impossible for any normally constructed human being to play this campaign alone. jonny :conf:

Well I wasn't suggesting that I could start and finish it in two weeks. And I have played F40, M44 and other large campaign games and this one is certainly a monster. But it can be done with two players. Probably about 1-2 turns a week over many months. And of course, I don't really expect to reach the last turn. I've played many campaign scenarios and I've usually found that the termination of the game comes far sooner than the last possible turn. In this case, I would estimate that somewhere between 30 and 90 turns would be the point, that either the outcome is so predictable that both players call the game, or one or both of the players call the game because of game fatigue.
For me, in a game this large, you don't stress over a single move, like holding your fingers on a chess piece, trying to figure out every possible counter move. You simply scoot and shoot. Concentrate on your grand strategy and don't stress over the small mistakes. Just play and have fun. It's a great way to learn the game, the history and the game system.
Well, that's just my two cents anyway.
Send this user an email
06-22-2010, 11:18 PM,
Ok then, if it's shooting & scooting, let's give it a go. jonny Big Grin
06-23-2010, 12:56 PM,
(06-22-2010, 11:18 PM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: Ok then, if it's shooting & scooting, let's give it a go. jonny Big Grin

I'll be happy to be Joffre, for ya, Johnny Mac!...LoL

I think three armies, MAX is a reasonable force to command in this game.