• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Plotted artillery playback
06-16-2010, 06:55 AM,
Plotted artillery playback
First of all I'd just like to say what a fantastic game. Everything from the sounds to the graphic mods and game play is superb.

A slight glitch, someone may be able to offer assistance with. When I receive my opponents turn back and watch my plotted artillery I only seem to be able to see the first salvo, after that I only get the sounds with no indication of results or where they are landing. I've had play back problems with Squad battles in the past and found that not touching the mouse helps, but this doesn't seem to have worked in this case.
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2010, 07:04 AM,
RE: Plotted artillery playback
Very interesting, I have seen this before in Squad Battles and I think it has something to do with the OS seemingly thinking the game is unresponsive during the artillery execution procedure.

Do you by chance have Windows 7 or Windows Vista? Also do you have other windows or applications open at the same time that you see this? I would try to make sure that no other windows or applications are open in the task bar and see if that helps. If you can tell me your Operating System then I will pass it along...
Send this user an email
06-16-2010, 07:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2010, 07:06 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Personally i don't play with the sound on, but i have played hundreds of F14 moves and seen many replays with no issues with seeing the effects of plotted arty fire.

Just as a test maybe turn the sounds off and see if that makes any difference?

I am using XP.
06-16-2010, 07:22 AM,
Question on my end, is your screen going white, or is it just not updating anything? Running Vista, I do, and did with Win XP, have problems where the screen turns white and nothing shows any longer, during the enemy defensive fire phase normally. I believe I had the same problem with some of the longer barrages in testing F'14, mostly in an Ypres test. Usually if I reopened the turn the arty barrages would do better, but sometimes worse.

Anyway, when I get this problem the program also shows "Not responding" in the top program bar as Windows tries to update things, best I can tell it is Windows having a problem and not much you can do except don't as you say move the mouse or hit any keys on the keyboard, as that sometimes seems to activate the problem.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-16-2010, 08:17 AM,
(06-16-2010, 07:22 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Question on my end, is your screen going white, or is it just not updating anything? Running Vista, I do, and did with Win XP, have problems where the screen turns white and nothing shows any longer, during the enemy defensive fire phase normally. I believe I had the same problem with some of the longer barrages in testing F'14, mostly in an Ypres test. Usually if I reopened the turn the arty barrages would do better, but sometimes worse.

Anyway, when I get this problem the program also shows "Not responding" in the top program bar as Windows tries to update things, best I can tell it is Windows having a problem and not much you can do except don't as you say move the mouse or hit any keys on the keyboard, as that sometimes seems to activate the problem.

Rick

I have been getting this problem for years. On XP before and on Vista (not by choice, mind you).
06-16-2010, 03:58 PM,
Yes its a problem I have had also since I started playing HPS . My screen goes white and or just sound and no info of what damage has been done.

I have just grown used to it.

I had the problem with Vista and now with Windows 7 64 bit[/align]
06-16-2010, 10:15 PM,
Again excellent game although I have not got far into it.

I get scree white out and then it comes back during ordinary file I have XP and my machine is getting like me too old.

As to the plotted fire the map seems to centre on the unit firing which means the target can be off map and you miss the results can this be changed so it centres on the target?
06-17-2010, 03:11 AM,
Thanks for the replies. I am using windows XP. The screen does not go white, it just stops tracking where the artillery fire landed and the results. Sounds continue as normal. At least this is what happened last time. I have another turn from my opponent so I'll see if the same happens this time and try to turn everything else off.
06-17-2010, 04:35 AM,
Worked fine this time. Made sure I had everything closed and didn't touch anything and it worked. Nice to see the Belgium forts getting mashed.
06-17-2010, 04:35 AM,
Very strange, i have never had this??

The only thing i get occasionally is when i fire at units and the game freezes for a couple of seconds before giving me the result.