• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question for Strela (Korsun V4)
06-14-2010, 10:13 AM,
Question for Strela (Korsun V4)
Hi,

I just finished a long game (Korsun V2, full GC), I feel V2 is slightly pro russian, I like better V3.

I'd like to know when V4 will be out.

From my experiencie in this game:would you consider merging small tank/vehicle units into mixed components?, for exaple 5-6 strong P MKIII units unit have little use in the game.
Also I think elements up to batallion level should be factorized into one (splittable and combinable) counter. (but for heavy weapon coys, they fit quite likely in this tittle). Those small units are easily destroyed, hampering germans on the long run.

Bests
César
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2010, 06:20 PM,
RE: Question for Strela (Korsun V4)
Hi Cesar,

Thank you for your comments. V4 is actually complete and awaiting the latest release cycle from Volcano Man.

I had not thought of merging vehicles into mixed groups (yet). That said, the original scenario designers justification for the huge number of small units was to provide the ability to form a line and I want to be careful that we don't go too far the other way, leaving the Germans with an inability to hold ground. It is a real compromise. I did these alternate scenarios with many of these small units grouped to reduce the clutter. That said, I have used as many sources as possible to get the tank numbers in particular accurate and that has meant some small groupings of armour as previously mentioned. The Germans really were short on armoured vehicles.

From our playtests of V4 we seem to have the counter density right and have continued to help the defense. I agree with you that V2 is pro Russian and V3 / V4 is a better balance.

For your info here is the change log for V4. These are the major changes - there are many minor unlisted revisions also.

Changes v4.0

GENERAL

• Work has begun on the 2nd campaign scenario 0201 Korsun Pocket. As this is a work in progress it is a separate scenario with a V4 on the end of the scenario name. The original campaign has a V3 extension. V4 is certainly very playable but has a more historic setup compared to V3

• Continued tuning of the 0125 campaign has resulted in further adjustment to front line positions

• Day 1 & 2 weather is guaranteed to stay at 1 hex visibility to prevent early activation of 1st Ukrainian Front and premature availability of air.

• The parameter file (PDT) has had range attenuation adjusted with no reduction for direct fire over 1 hex. This helps German AA, AT & Panzers attain kills at a distance but keep in mind visibility and terrain will ensure that this benefit is rarely available. Small units such as Marders suddenly become useful.

• Players should consider the alternate artillery rule to model the risks of using significant forces in a small area. It is risky to use a whole Russian infantry division to assault a position with this in place. It also better models the use of artillery on the defense. This allows the German defenses to hold out a little longer and the Russian to chose carefully where he masses. We are currently looking at implementing to VP scores - one with this rule enacted and one without.

GERMAN

• All German Panzer units (other than Feld Ersatz) have had their morale increased to A class.

• The defenses in the 72nd & 389th Infantry Division sectors were adjusted and all forward positions are now full battalion units.

• The town of Rosskovatka 144, 117 has been fortified with bunkers.

• Wiking’s PzG Regt 10 has replaced Wallonien and some of 57th Infantry Divisions positions.

• Wikings armoured battle group now has the Mark IV battalion rather than the Mark III unit. The Mark IV strength is from Nash and maybe currently overstated.

• Some divisional release times have been adjusted.

• German JU-88 and HE-111 aircraft have been changed from Heavy Bomber to Bomber. They cannot carpet bomb now.

SOVIET

• 233rd Tank Brigade is now armed with M4A2 (76)W Shermans. There is evidence that these vehicle where in regular use before the US Army

• 20th Gds Rifle Corp is now fixed with its component Divisions having a 15% chance of releasing from turn 1.

• Russian Partisans have had their chance of effect reduced from 10% to 2%. They were way too effective and very hard to kill.

David
06-14-2010, 10:33 PM,
Strela,
Any reason why your Mod is not represented on the K44 Mod list? Are you still testing and don't want to upload the files to the DB until you are finished?

Sorry if i asked this before, but if i did i forgot the answer!! :rolleyes:
06-14-2010, 10:35 PM,
Foul,

The answer is no :)

Volcano Man sent me a link on how to do it and I failed miserably. Any further education would help!

David
06-15-2010, 12:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2010, 12:46 AM by Indragnir.)
Thanks David,

Have dettached units from Wiking a HQ (those far from the division)?

I'm playing with the idea of giving Recon btls (german side OFC) a HQ unit. What do you think?

Regarding lowering too much counter density, I mean if you have 5 different vehicle counters I would merge them into one mixed counter able to split into 5 units. (for exaple, you get 5 stugs, 4 MkIII, and 20 MkIV I mean creating a mixed tank unit 29 strong able to split into 4 units.)

Just my two cents.

I'm eager to play this one, I hope Ed will release it very soon.

Bests
César
06-15-2010, 01:05 AM,
Hi Cesar,

Understand what you are suggesting regarding mixed units. At this time, I am not planning to do it as it would require every scenario to be redone. Obviously you are welcome to adjust using the scenario editor :)

As far as recon battalions with HQ. That does make sense. Another project I am working on has exactly that feature as the German tended to run their recons quite seperately. I will have a look at it.

Wiking has all the standard regimental HQ's. The only group that are significantly away from the command structure are Feldersatz group at Steblev.

Finally, if you want an early copy of V4 just PM me your email address here at the Blitz.

Thanks and happy for any other commentary,

David
06-15-2010, 01:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2010, 01:57 AM by Indragnir.)
(06-15-2010, 01:05 AM)Strela Wrote: Understand what you are suggesting regarding mixed units. At this time, I am not planning to do it as it would require every scenario to be redone. Obviously you are welcome to adjust using the scenario editor :)

I'm finishing two GC mods but I'd like give it a try on GC only, I can do OBB work in few time, deleting and adding reinforcements need more time. If I find some time I'll let you know how it goes.

(06-15-2010, 01:05 AM)Strela Wrote: As far as recon battalions with HQ. That does make sense. Another project I am working on has exactly that feature as the German tended to run their recons quite seperately. I will have a look at it.

I'm on it for Bulge'44 and Anzio, very much needed in those tittles.

Bests
César
06-15-2010, 02:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2010, 09:42 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
(06-14-2010, 10:35 PM)Strela Wrote: Foul,

The answer is no :)

Volcano Man sent me a link on how to do it and I failed miserably. Any further education would help!

David

That's OK, the scenario will be listed when the K44 _alt scenarios are added to the DB. :)
06-15-2010, 04:53 AM,
I will be updating probably all the packs at vmods.com "soon" (relatively speaking), I have just been a bit busy lately to get around to it (it is a major logistics operation to update them all at once). Anyway, once that happens the V4 of Strela's K44 will be up!
Send this user an email
06-15-2010, 05:19 AM,
(06-15-2010, 04:53 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: I will be updating probably all the packs at vmods.com "soon" (relatively speaking), I have just been a bit busy lately to get around to it (it is a major logistics operation to update them all at once). Anyway, once that happens the V4 of Strela's K44 will be up!

Ah i see, is this scenario to be considered an _alt scenario then??

If so ignore my instructions about creating an entry as we handle _alt scenarios differently. ;)