• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Best Squad battle game?
06-13-2010, 12:26 PM,
Best Squad battle game?
Was wondering which Squad Battle game in the series people think is the best in their opinion? I want to get others in the series, I own winter war, AotR and Red Victory.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2010, 12:49 PM,
RE: Best Squad battle game?
I don't really think of them as separate games myself, but if you are looking for your next purchase, ES is great because most people own it, and there are lots of scenarios around, it's like AoTR.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

06-13-2010, 07:40 PM,
They all have their pro and cons, the think I like is all tend to have a special niche in gameplay.

For me I quite like Pac war with some excellent stock scns.

Also as added bonus getting pacwar means free access to a couple of great mods such as Africa at War/World at War
244 games with legend that is Richie61
06-14-2010, 06:17 AM,
I just bought ES. Of the 4 that I have (WW, SAW, KW & ToD) I think that KW is my favorite. The game has lots of scenarios (70+) and extensive liner notes.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
06-14-2010, 11:44 AM,
For post WW2, I play SAW most of the time. Plus it's got the Arab Israeli War and Long War mods. So it's total modern gaming goodness (my preference).

SAW is quite balanced with Soviet vs. Soviet weaponry.
Send this user an email
06-15-2010, 08:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2010, 08:32 AM by Riley D. Smith.)
As all have said, "best" is pretty relative here. I have most of the series and to be honest, I play all of them pretty regular. PacWar is great as you have some of the best mods (IMO) for it. But I have always enjoyed my first SB title....Viet Nam and it's brother, Tour of Duty as much as any. ToD probably takes the nod for more/better scenarios, but SBVN is awesome for the early battles and a very historical flair. That war has always held a keen interest for me and SB models it very well. Probably because the small unit action really was a large part of that war and that is what SB is all about. Korea is another great title with a large group of very good H2H/PBEM scenarios.

This is really what I like best about this series...there is so much variety that a player would be hard pressed not to find something to their taste. The World at War mod is impressive as is Africa at War. We have scenarios in virtually every theatre from the Spanish Civil War and forward.
06-15-2010, 11:44 PM,
(06-15-2010, 08:24 AM)Riley D. Smith Wrote: This is really what I like best about this series...there is so much variety that a player would be hard pressed not to find something to their taste. The World at War mod is impressive as is Africa at War. We have scenarios in virtually every theatre from the Spanish Civil War and forward.

I think this is absolutely true. There are so many variations out there that most gamers should find something that they enjoy. Plenty of WWII action, good modern conflicts, both actual games and game MODs, as well as some of the more obscure, yet highly interesting conflicts like WW, SCW and even SAW to a certain degree. I'd rank Dien Bien Phu way up there with folks that like combat in Indochina. A nice collections of scenarios that span not only the action at DBP, but the combat leading up to the battle during the French war there.

I like them all, but DBP and RV are two that are extremely high on my list for overall depth and number of scenarios, and great balance. I am slightly biased because I was involved with the playtesting on those games, but all that really means is that I've had the chance to play a lot of those scenarios and really enjoyed them.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-16-2010, 01:10 AM,
Unless you have a string preference for a particular battle/front/era, the latest is always the greatest. PacWar and SAW have had full blown mods attached to them, but even the older titles have received a lot of love over the years.
07-20-2010, 10:59 AM,
Where does one find the mods mentioned in this thread, e.g. the Africa mod / World at War mod for Pacific War? I looked in the Task Force mod list but did not find mention of these.

Also, are all the older SB games compatible with Windows 7? I just bought Red Victory, as my only game so far. So, just wondering if the older games will also work on Win 7.

Finally, will I have to use the Winhelp install in order to read the manuals, or does the manual that comes with Red Victory encompass all the rules for the older games as well?

Thanks!
-=Jeff
07-20-2010, 11:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM by White Eagle.)
Hi Jeff,

All of the user help files in Red Victory that you need are in PDF format. I, like you when you click on the general help are prompted with a message to install the winhelp file to use it. I installed it from the microsoft site and there was nothing to read with it after I installed it. You'll be fine with the pdf files.

John