• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

VISTA PROBLEMS
05-28-2010, 01:22 PM,
VISTA PROBLEMS
I've recently upgraded my PC, and now I'm running Vista 64-bit. I've followed all the HPS site advice/ trouble shooting for Vista, but more often then not, when downloading PBEM files into my new directory folders (these are the new folders I created myself), I get an error with the file replay. It accepts my password, but when I select the option to show opponent replay, I get the unable to read error.
I know my opponent files are good, because I can load, and play on my IBM laptop, which has XP.
I would like to use my home rig more, i.e nice big monitor!! But this vista thing is becoming a pain. Any advice welcome. Thanks, Ted.:(
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2010, 02:37 PM,
RE: VISTA PROBLEMS
I ran Vista before upgrading my PC to Windows 7. I never had these problems with Vista.
I take it you installed the HPS games in the C: Drive in a folder called HPS. But not in the Program folder. Apart from than that I have no I idea.
05-28-2010, 03:13 PM,
(05-28-2010, 01:22 PM)Shoopzee Wrote: Any advice welcome. Thanks, Ted.:(

Send the file and password to HPS SUpport - hell you can copy me on the message and I will give it to RIch tomorrow myself.

Make sure you say which game the file belongs too - I've never seen a BTE that read in XP but not Vista and I cannot explain how this could occur. The file is read y the GAME not the OS and if the replay is corrupted in the file - then the result would be the same in both.

Maybe DELETE the file(s) in the game folder called PBEM.* - there is on called PBEM.yyy and I think maybe a .xxx or .zzz.

I think this might have more to do with your issue than the OS, but stranger things have happened for sure.

Glenn
[email protected]
Send this user an email
05-30-2010, 12:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2010, 12:24 AM by Dirk Gross.)
(05-28-2010, 02:37 PM)Bidermann Wrote: I ran Vista before upgrading my PC to Windows 7. I never had these problems with Vista.
I take it you installed the HPS games in the C: Drive in a folder called HPS. But not in the Program folder. Apart from than that I have no I idea.

I agree with this. If you installed in Program Files or Program Files x86 you will have problems with PBEM. I discovered this when I converted to Vista x64. If you install into a folder you create (I replace the default install folder path of Program Files with a folder I named Games while keeping the rest of the install path) you should have no problems. I've since moved on to Win 7 x64 and am using the same technique with no difficulties.

*Sorry, I just noticed you said you installed into a folder you created. What is the folder name and is it directly under C: ?
05-30-2010, 01:56 PM,
I created a folder I called HPS on the C drive, and stayed away from the programs directory. In this folder I have created sub-folders for each title I have installed i.e. C:/HPS/ Bulge 44.
Maybe the HPS folder name is to blame, not sure.
05-30-2010, 11:42 PM,
Strange, now that I have some of my other HPS titles installed, I notice some work fine, including Waterloo and Moscow 41. No issues, games load fine. So far Bulge 44 & 1812 will not load emailed bte files.
06-01-2010, 05:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 05:14 AM by Dirk Gross.)
(05-30-2010, 01:56 PM)Shoopzee Wrote: I created a folder I called HPS on the C drive, and stayed away from the programs directory. In this folder I have created sub-folders for each title I have installed i.e. C:/HPS/ Bulge 44.
Maybe the HPS folder name is to blame, not sure.

Should be no problems with your HPS folder like Program Files causes. I use Games/HPS/... with no issues. I don't know what could be causing it.
06-26-2010, 07:09 AM,
Did you get a solution to this problem. I ahve just upgraded to Vista and I am having the same problem

(I did install the games to a folder in c: and not c:\program files)
06-26-2010, 07:27 AM,
(06-26-2010, 07:09 AM)FLG Wrote: Did you get a solution to this problem. I ahve just upgraded to Vista and I am having the same problem

(I did install the games to a folder in c: and not c:\program files)

I asked that this BTE file which works in XP but not Vista, be sent to us while we were at the Tillercon as we had access to all games, and OS and thus in a perfect place to look into this.

Unfortunately the BTE file was not from a standard Scn from the game - it was a downloaded SCN file and the other files such as teh OOB file was not included so we couldn't open the BTE file to see the problem.

If you have a file from a stadnard scn that works in XP but not Vista then please send it to HPS Support and Rich can see what he thinks about it.

If it is just a problem in Vista it might be something else and again Rich will be able to help you best.

Also note, he just left on a short family holiday so give him a week or so to get back to you on this.
Send this user an email
06-26-2010, 07:31 AM,
I have Vista and what I do is this: I create a folder directly in C called, for example, F14, and just load everything into that folder. Stay away form "program files" and "HPS." It should work fine. jonny :whis: