• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Engineer Answers
05-02-2010, 10:17 PM,
Engineer Answers
All of your Engineer questions can be answered in the game manual that came on the game disk and is now on your puter. Don't bother to look for the answers in the paperback version that came with the disk, because the answers just ain't there lol

If you open up your game, look on the right hand side for the Game Manual and open it up and the engineer answers begin at section 5.18. The only thing I am not sure of and even though it is not explained very well, the manual leads you to believe you can destroy a bridge that spans a full water hex.

I have tried to do it many times but with no luck or maybe I am just missing something. You may not be able to destroy what might be considered a Permanent Bridge, and even though the engineers did have that capability. Go figure.

Cheers

Joe

PS There are alot of things in the disk Game Manual that just are not in the paperback version.
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2010, 11:32 PM,
RE: Engineer Answers
(05-02-2010, 10:17 PM)Troll Wrote: All of your Engineer questions can be answered in the game manual that came on the game disk and is now on your puter. Don't bother to look for the answers in the paperback version that came with the disk, because the answers just ain't there lol

If you open up your game, look on the right hand side for the Game Manual and open it up and the engineer answers begin at section 5.18. The only thing I am not sure of and even though it is not explained very well, the manual leads you to believe you can destroy a bridge that spans a full water hex.

I have tried to do it many times but with no luck or maybe I am just missing something. You may not be able to destroy what might be considered a Permanent Bridge, and even though the engineers did have that capability. Go figure.

Cheers

Joe

PS There are alot of things in the disk Game Manual that just are not in the paperback version.

Good point Joe! The printed game manual was written prior to many of the updates... and has not kept up with the addition of many new units, and capabilities that have been added to CS.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
05-05-2010, 04:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2010, 04:40 AM by Huib Versloot.)
(05-02-2010, 10:17 PM)Troll Wrote: The only thing I am not sure of and even though it is not explained very well, the manual leads you to believe you can destroy a bridge that spans a full water hex.
Joe

Never looked in the manual, but a full water hex bridge can't be destroyed in the game. If it needs to be simulated in a scn, the designer needs to add a deep water hex side in front, or behind it plus a hexside bridge.

Huib
05-05-2010, 09:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2010, 09:45 AM by Montana Grizz.)
I've looked at the manual many times, but what I don't understand is why you need a special engineering unit to remove wreckage from a bridge hex???

Why can't you simply push them off the bridge?

If the bridge was stoutly constructed with heavy metal sides, why can't any unit with sachel charges blow the sides of the bridge and use tanks to push the blocking units into the river?

Furthermore, how can there be too many wrecked units in a hex (bridge or not) to prevent infantry from climbing over the units and crossing the bridge?

It would also seem that it would be reasonable for artillery to be able to limit a bridges capacity to support heavy armor?

Just some observations.

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

05-05-2010, 12:46 PM,
(05-05-2010, 09:43 AM)Montana Grizz Wrote: I've looked at the manual many times, but what I don't understand is why you need a special engineering unit to remove wreckage from a bridge hex???

The game code is limited into what it can do. In order to function, a new unit had be created with that special ability. The existing engineers are maxed out in their abilities based on what the code allows.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
05-05-2010, 01:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2010, 01:42 PM by Pointman.)
Why did they create wrecks to be cleared.Alot of the scenarios do not have wreck clearing units although ever scenario has wrecks to be cleared.Unless its advantage is intended to move your tank forward get it blown up to block that truck thats bringing up the infantry across that bridge or stream or road or whatever ect...:whis:

Maybe this should be a mandatory unit for creating future scenarios and an add on to the existing ones or maybe get rid of having to clear wrecks.WhipI cant wait to hear your respones :smoke:

My Best Pointman.Big Grin
05-05-2010, 01:45 PM,
(05-05-2010, 01:41 PM)Pointman Wrote: Why did they create wrecks to be cleared.Alot of the scenarios do not have wreck clearing units although ever scenario has wrecks to be cleared.Unless its advantage is intended to move your tank forward get it blown up to block that truck thats bringing up the infantry across that bridge or stream or road or whatever ect...:whis:

Maybe this should be a mandatory unit for creating future scenarios and an add on to the existing ones or maybe get rid of having to clear wrecks.WhipI cant wait to hear your respones :smoke:

My Best Pointman.Big Grin

There's a bootcamp scenario in East Front that displays the capabilities of wreck removal units. I recommend giving it awhirl... read the new Bootcamp document about that particular scenario.

Being a new unit, they are a rarity, as with most of the new units. But, they will be included in future scenarios when required.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
05-05-2010, 01:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2010, 01:58 PM by Pointman.)
Jason they are required in every scenario from my point of view.If you dont have the ability to remove wrecks it seems to me each scenario can be exploited whether the creator intended wrecks to be part of the strategy or not.The fact that they can be used to block because there is no removable units available seems to me another way of using a (unit ie truck) to block roads ect... Bruce
05-05-2010, 06:43 PM,
(05-05-2010, 01:49 PM)Pointman Wrote: Jason they are required in every scenario from my point of view.If you dont have the ability to remove wrecks it seems to me each scenario can be exploited whether the creator intended wrecks to be part of the strategy or not.The fact that they can be used to block because there is no removable units available seems to me another way of using a (unit ie truck) to block roads ect... Bruce

Bruce,
Why don't you go ahead then and modify all existing scenario and org files?
I must say that in all my 300 games or so I have not once really needed a wreck clearing unit. So as far as I'm concerned you can save yourself the effort.

Huib
05-05-2010, 07:39 PM,
(05-05-2010, 06:43 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote:
(05-05-2010, 01:49 PM)Pointman Wrote: Jason they are required in every scenario from my point of view.If you dont have the ability to remove wrecks it seems to me each scenario can be exploited whether the creator intended wrecks to be part of the strategy or not.The fact that they can be used to block because there is no removable units available seems to me another way of using a (unit ie truck) to block roads ect... Bruce

Bruce,
Why don't you go ahead then and modify all existing scenario and org files?
I must say that in all my 300 games or so I have not once really needed a wreck clearing unit. So as far as I'm concerned you can save yourself the effort.

Huib

I have to agree with Herr Huib on this one. :smoke:
In my over 1k games I think I may have had an issue with wrecks effecting the scenario on only two or three occasions.
Even historically wrecks were a small part of any problem for combat units. Go around them or do not give your opponent the opportunity to create them? :)
Scenario designers, who feel it is a problem, can address it when they make new scenarios. I believe the effect on "every" old scenario is minimal at best.

cheers

HSL