• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Map Look
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM,
New Map Look
I guess that because I have been playing this game for so long and designing countless maps, that I lose interest because of the limited types of terrain that the game offers and that is truly my problem. In short i get tired of looking at the same old trees fields and so on. I think it would be nice if there was a tab for a Port hex, meaning terrain that looked like a port verses a city hex or building. Why not have a tab to have some of the fields plowed and not plowed at the same time. What I am trying to say is to add a few new tabs to spruce up the map appearance. Maybe others feel the same way and might like to add what they would like to see as far as new terrain features, and send them off and see if it can be incorporated into the game.

Cheers

Joe
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2010, 09:43 PM,
RE: New Map Look
Yup, if only it were so easy to implement in the game.
Personally I'd like to see extra building BMPs for a windmill and a farm in WF.
04-29-2010, 02:15 AM,
Bogs that operate like minefields. You can't see them from the map, but you can spot them if they are in LOS (just like a mine field). If you're driving around and run into it accidently, you lose X number of vehicles to getting stuck. I think there are way too many tanks, particularly super heavies, that have virtually none of the movement limitations of real life in the game. For example, large numbers of German heavies were lost, particularly late war, by driving into areas where they bogged down and were abandoned (or later recovered if they weren't overrun, but lost for the purposes of most scenarios we would play in CS).

We could also use additional variations of existing terrain (there is already some automatic rotation in the game - for example each forest hex is not identical to the next in 3d. Adding a few more variations for the program to chose from could add some additional variety in a workable format.

I personally would also like to see bunkers/pillboxes have a facing feature. while some complexes were set up for all around defense (and these would be the standard bunker/pbs in the game) most were linear in nature and "tuned" to fight in a specific direction. Units in the B/PBs would still get the added defense bonus (or could have a smaller bonus depending on facing) but would face fire penalties when firing outside their frontal arc.

This and the previous requests I made would really turn this game into something special in my opinion, and more accurate.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
04-29-2010, 03:00 AM,
(04-28-2010, 06:13 PM)Troll Wrote: I guess that because I have been playing this game for so long and designing countless maps, that I lose interest because of the limited types of terrain that the game offers and that is truly my problem. In short i get tired of looking at the same old trees fields and so on. I think it would be nice if there was a tab for a Port hex, meaning terrain that looked like a port verses a city hex or building. Why not have a tab to have some of the fields plowed and not plowed at the same time. What I am trying to say is to add a few new tabs to spruce up the map appearance. Maybe others feel the same way and might like to add what they would like to see as far as new terrain features, and send them off and see if it can be incorporated into the game.

Cheers

Joe

You can create custom terrain sets that replace the existing tiles.

Of course, you are limited to the amount of tiles for each terrain type for now.. but you can create multiple sets for different regions and then swap the ones you want to see when you play a certain area.

But then.. that takes time and effort to generate. Volunteers? *laughs*

I am hoping to have the number of tiles for each terrain type increased, but not sure on a timeline for that... it is high on my priority list though.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
04-30-2010, 07:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-30-2010, 07:55 PM by K K Rossokolski.)
While nice, this is just eye candy stuff. How good would it be to enable CS to do a reasonable simulation of alpine topography? Or even the steep rugged type of hills found in Sicily or the Abruzzi. All we can do now is nice gentle rolling hilly scenery.
BTW, absolutely 1000% support the idea of sector visiblity ONLY, from PBs and bunkers
05-01-2010, 05:25 AM,
Noting of course that bunkers and PBs are NOT Map Editor features, but are applied in the Scenario Editor
05-01-2010, 11:40 AM,
(04-30-2010, 07:51 PM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: While nice, this is just eye candy stuff. How good would it be to enable CS to do a reasonable simulation of alpine topography? Or even the steep rugged type of hills found in Sicily or the Abruzzi. All we can do now is nice gentle rolling hilly scenery.

Notice anything different?

Attached Files
.gif   !hills.GIF (Size: 409.56 KB / Downloads: 47)
Send this user an email
05-01-2010, 01:44 PM,
Be careful Jason in any changes that may effect existing scenario's.

New scenario's based upon new changes are fine.

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

05-01-2010, 03:25 PM,
Jason...that is amazing. Great stuff!!!!!! I do now remember discussing the idea briefly with you a good while back. Some questions....
Is that a real increase in available height, or a sort of scale manipulation?
Will it be available for current WF, EFII, RS?
Any chance of a snow hex in the map editor?...that would allow snow cover on the higher areas.

I know you are busy. Do you want me to post those WF terrain improvements?
05-01-2010, 11:22 PM,
(05-01-2010, 11:40 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: Notice anything different?

:chin: Someone said this was Jason after he made the new map elevations and terrain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9uYcjpTO...re=related

I thought you'd all like to see Jason at work. It is better "seen" in a "movie"? ;)

cheers

HSL