• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Vietnam and TOD scenarios--TFE4
04-28-2010, 02:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2010, 05:45 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
Vietnam and TOD scenarios--TFE4
I’ve been scouring the internet for SB scenarios, and came across a few over on Wargamer that I’d had for a long time, but weren’t on this site. Unfortunately, the links were no longer working, but I was able to cobble together the correct files for each and have uploaded them to the site. Hopefully these all work for you guys, please send me an EMAIL if they don’t. These scenarios are ‘classics’ meaning that they’ve been around a while, and put together before all the recent engine updates. Thought they’d still be of interest.

Vietnam–13 scenarios. 6th RAR Ambush, ANZAC Sweep, Easter Offensive 1972, Extract!, Hill 97 (pair of hypothetical scenarios), The Battle for Hill 43, Find and Destroy NVA Base Camp, Dawn Assault, Skirmish on Route 27, Long and Winding Road, Pick Up Time and Back Door

Tour of Duty–1 scenario. Hammer, Anvil and Steel.

If anyone else comes across scenarios for any game that aren’t on here, please either send them to me, or send me a line where I can get them. I’d like Task Force Echo 4 to be the main repository for all SB content out there. There are a few more that I’m trying to locate. When I get them, I’ll put them up.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2010, 12:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2010, 01:13 PM by VIETNAM.)
RE: Vietnam and TOD scenarios--TFE4
Thanks... anyone want to play one of the new Vietnam or the Tour of Duty ? I wish there were more TOD scenarios, I'm starting to think Vietnam is better just because it has tons of maps to choose from. A Massive 40 turn TOD scenario is a nice start.

Hill 97 map 1 doesn't work (could be missing a file), but Hill 97 map 2 works and its a 50 turn, other than that everything seems to work just fine.
04-28-2010, 10:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2010, 11:05 PM by TheBigRedOne.)
(04-28-2010, 12:46 PM)VIETNAM Wrote: Thanks... anyone want to play one of the new Vietnam or the Tour of Duty ? I wish there were more TOD scenarios, I'm starting to think Vietnam is better just because it has tons of maps to choose from. A Massive 40 turn TOD scenario is a nice start.

Hill 97 map 1 doesn't work (could be missing a file), but Hill 97 map 2 works and its a 50 turn, other than that everything seems to work just fine.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at the files and correct them.

TOD suffers from being released very close to VN, making it seem a bit too similar. Early games also lacked focus on play balance, sticking a bit closer to historical accuracy. This is nice, but can also make for some one-sided and somewhat difficult games. I still think I've never beaten the VC in the Vietnam starter scenario. I'd hate to think that folks played that, figured the game was too hard and never went back. I almost did, that's for sure. I dropped the game for a year after first getting getting VN.

The new scenarios that Mike Cox put together recently for TOD are very good, and take advantage of all the new features of the updated engine.

I just replaced the map file for that scenario. Download the same zipped file (the link is the same)and let me know if it works.

This one was taken from GameSquad's Downloads and looks to be the original map for that game. Hopefully it works.
04-29-2010, 09:30 AM,
I don't think I have ever seen a sniper in any of the games yet, or a tunnel. Hill 97 scn 1 still doesn't work. I think it is missing a .oob file, every scenario seems to have one except for hill 97 scn 1.
04-30-2010, 02:14 AM,
(04-29-2010, 09:30 AM)VIETNAM Wrote: I don't think I have ever seen a sniper in any of the games yet, or a tunnel. Hill 97 scn 1 still doesn't work. I think it is missing a .oob file, every scenario seems to have one except for hill 97 scn 1.

If you ever want to know what OOB and Maps a scenario uses, just click on the scn file and it will open up in Notepad. It uses the Dai Do.oob file, which should be in your game from the stock scenario, and is also in the zipped folder. When I swapped out the map file, it worked on mine. (it didn't before)

Try DLing it from GameSquad's DL section and see what happens.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.ph...ile&id=334
04-30-2010, 04:40 AM,
unfortunately that website doesn't seem to like my download manager, I guess if someone wants to play that scenario with me they would just have to e-mail me the scenario.. I got plenty of scenarios to keep me busy right now anyway
04-30-2010, 05:22 AM,
(04-30-2010, 04:40 AM)VIETNAM Wrote: unfortunately that website doesn't seem to like my download manager, I guess if someone wants to play that scenario with me they would just have to e-mail me the scenario.. I got plenty of scenarios to keep me busy right now anyway

Try this. I uploaded the GS file onto my box.net account.

http://www.box.net/shared/k9mo77svn9
04-30-2010, 06:50 AM,
That fixed it, Thanks.
04-30-2010, 02:49 PM,
I was looking around on that link you gave me and came across this :

MAJOR ENGAGEMENT

[Division, Vehicles, Helicopters, Support] This is a hypothetical battle. The forces engaged are very large (1638 men and 12 vehicles for the NVA - 1326 men and 31 vehicles for the US + support) and this battle probably won't represent anything close to what actually happened during the war. I just basically wanted to put a big fight together. ;o) - The thought behind this setup is, the NVA have occupied this valley in force. They control the rail line running through it, plus all the surrounding villages. The American player must clear them from the field...they have been given 24 hours to accomplish the objective, 288 turns.

The second scenario included here has less armor present for both sides.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.ph...ile&id=340
04-30-2010, 10:41 PM,
(04-30-2010, 02:49 PM)VIETNAM Wrote: I was looking around on that link you gave me and came across this :

MAJOR ENGAGEMENT

[Division, Vehicles, Helicopters, Support] This is a hypothetical battle. The forces engaged are very large (1638 men and 12 vehicles for the NVA - 1326 men and 31 vehicles for the US + support) and this battle probably won't represent anything close to what actually happened during the war. I just basically wanted to put a big fight together. ;o) - The thought behind this setup is, the NVA have occupied this valley in force. They control the rail line running through it, plus all the surrounding villages. The American player must clear them from the field...they have been given 24 hours to accomplish the objective, 288 turns.

The second scenario included here has less armor present for both sides.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.ph...ile&id=340

I remember that one from way back, may even have it on my system. It's huge, almost too much so. I'll put it on the site, however, in the next round of updates!

Thanks for the heads up!