• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Surviving IS-2s ???
04-05-2010, 03:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2010, 03:23 AM by Crossroads.)
Surviving IS-2s ???
"Crisis on Oder" Websters would not come up with a better definition for a british understatement ...

I am facing some fifty IS-2s on platoons of five... :eek1: Good visibility... Not much cover...

Any hints & tips as how my pzkpfw IVs and Vs might survive a few turns... ?

Shoot & scoot not an option... I show up I get blown to pieces... I bring forward my panzer grenadiers their panzer shrecks juts bounce of the russian beasts... :scare:

Exit the map? Bribe the opponent?

Apart from these two ideas I am pretty much at loss...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2010, 05:37 AM,
RE: Surviving IS-2s ???
Shoot and scoot deny them the roads put good units in the bunkers remember they only have an 8 hex range.
04-05-2010, 05:04 PM,
You have to engage at long range with your armor and pray for retreats so you can get shots at their rear. I actually like that scenario alot.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
04-05-2010, 06:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2010, 06:07 PM by Crossroads.)
Thanks for your advice and encouraging words, Gentlemen! I needed that! cheers

I will try to fight it out, before launching the what is now known as the Plan B:

- Dig up the Victory Point markers with Engineers, transport them into trucks and ship them to Berlin!
Visit us at CSLegion.com
04-05-2010, 10:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2010, 11:20 PM by Kool Kat.)
Gents! :smoke:

Since Karzy Kat (Petri) my opponent in our current game - "Crisis on the Oder" - has come to the Blitz forums for advice... I thought I'd jump on (into?) his thread and ask the "inverse" question...

What's the best way to utilize my IS-2s in this scenario? :cheeky:

I'd like some intel myself! :smoke:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-05-2010, 11:06 PM,
(04-05-2010, 05:04 PM)Larry Reese Wrote: You have to engage at long range with your armor and pray for retreats so you can get shots at their rear. I actually like that scenario alot.

LR

This is essentially exploiting a bug in the game. It is one of the reasons I play without armor facing. Without armor facing one can stick to historical tactics, which in this case is still long range engaging as German player but without being dependent on tanks turning foolishly before they can be destroyed.
04-05-2010, 11:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2010, 11:50 PM by Crossroads.)
(04-05-2010, 10:11 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: What's the best way to utilize my IS-2s in this scenario? :cheeky:

I'd like some intel myself! :smoke:

LOL Mike, I hope you don't mind! cheers

My advice: try something completely different! As you can see from my original post, your tactics are not working at all! :smoke:

(04-05-2010, 11:06 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote:
(04-05-2010, 05:04 PM)Larry Reese Wrote: You have to engage at long range with your armor and pray for retreats so you can get shots at their rear. I actually like that scenario alot.

LR

This is essentially exploiting a bug in the game. It is one of the reasons I play without armor facing. Without armor facing one can stick to historical tactics, which in this case is still long range engaging as German player but without being dependent on tanks turning foolishly before they can be destroyed.

That is a good point. I have been thinking about the AF and whether I like it or not...

Question: When AF is not used, how is the defence value calculated?

Is it the mean average of all values, or is there special weight used for e.g. the frontal armour?

Accordingly, it would be a tad easier to get a result against a tank that is "facing" you? (While obviously the retreating platoon would not be almost guaranteed to be wiped out, of course...)
Visit us at CSLegion.com
04-06-2010, 12:09 AM,
(04-05-2010, 05:04 PM)Larry Reese Wrote: This is essentially exploiting a bug in the game. It is one of the reasons I play without armor facing. Without armor facing one can stick to historical tactics, which in this case is still long range engaging as German player but without being dependent on tanks turning foolishly before they can be destroyed.

Ideally, I'd like a little of both. Tanks shouldn't turn around when retreating, but I'd still like armor facing for ambushing. I like to look for wooded hexes where I can hide by a curve in the road, allowing my opponent to pass and then hitting him in the rear. AF off takes that away.

As for Mike and Petri, pretty funny!

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
04-06-2010, 12:13 AM,
(04-05-2010, 11:45 PM)Krazy Kat Wrote: LOL Mike, I hope you don't mind! cheers

My advice: try something completely different! As you can see from my original post, your tactics are not working at all! :smoke:

No worries Petri! Big Grin

It's just one BIG cat fight! :cheeky: :eek1:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-06-2010, 02:37 AM,
(04-06-2010, 12:09 AM)Scud Wrote: Ideally, I'd like a little of both. Tanks shouldn't turn around when retreating, but I'd still like armor facing for ambushing. I like to look for wooded hexes where I can hide by a curve in the road, allowing my opponent to pass and then hitting him in the rear. AF off takes that away.

Exactly. Fix this retreat bug and AF works really nice!

I just got ambuhed during Operation Epsom just like you described... Good job by the opponent! Created some havoc exactly like it should've!
Visit us at CSLegion.com