• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

OT: So, what's a TillerCon like?
03-09-2010, 01:51 PM,
OT: So, what's a TillerCon like?
As the title states, is it a bunch of middle-aged guys talking blitzkrieg? :) I wish I could make this event, and I barely missed the 2005 Richmond one, which is my current residence. Unfortunately, no one around me is interested in war gaming as a hobby, so I would imagine it would be nice to meet others face to face with this common interest. For those that are attending, maybe you can take some pictures for the rest of us. From what I gathered from previous posts about TC, it is a chance to meet the designers/testers and ask questions or make suggestions in regards to Tiller games.
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 02:11 PM,
RE: OT: So, what's a TillerCon like?
> As the title states, is it a bunch of middle-aged guys talking blitzkrieg

Well - it is a bunch of guys playing games and bantering back and forth as they do so. Its a chance to meet people, put faces to names. I was actually suprised myself there isn't much sitting in the bar although a few of the guys have a couple of woggly pops in the evening.

The Civil War guys hoot and holler with every melee.

We have a meeting too - one per series really, everyone attends but having different groups, well, guys like me and Ed don't have to sit through a discussion of Nappy Cavalry and things we're not interested in.

You get to play any John Tiller Game - either against a player in HTH play or even just fiddle with a different title or Series you might be interested it.

Its just a great chance to meet everyone - I now Al Wood and a bunch of the guys that post here. I've met Ricky, and Ed. Hell - it wasn't til the first Tillercon that I even met John Tiller myself this way the first time.

Glenn
Send this user an email
03-10-2010, 01:10 AM,
I seem to remember that there are some players and members of the Blitz living around Richmond. In particular, I am almost sure that Rich Hamilton lives near there. Although nowadays my memory does have gaps at times:-)

I am also sure you, or anyone else would like the event, lots of good people in a good friendly atmosphere enjoying their hobby.
03-10-2010, 03:50 AM,
I have enjoyed the opportunity to both visit with those that I have, and haven't, played online, face to face, and to talk while waiting for my opponent played his turn. We have had a lot of fun playing and visiting, meeting and discussing, and just getting know Glenn, Blackie/von Schwarze, John Tiller, Marquo and many other players and designers. I will never forget the blinding grenade video which I believe was making the rounds in KC along with some other German training videos from the war!

And there are the chances to sight see during/before/after. At Richmond, I spend the day before at Gettysburg, no water or food, I was there for nearly 12 hours then drove down to Richmond and was ready to eat finally. And KC had the WW1 museum nearby, which a large group of us visited.

I will say that there isn't much friendly atmostphere, to much competition going on - LOL, just kidding there, very friendly, even the games.
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
03-10-2010, 09:55 AM,
I agree with all of the above. It is fun to get together and socialize, especially when everyone there has the same hobby as you do.

At TC2, I was so busy talking (and listening), playing games, attending meetings that the time was over before I knew it. I guess that meant that I had a great time. ;)
Send this user an email
03-10-2010, 01:44 PM,
I was at the last TillerCon in Kansas City & had a great time. After playing the games, the best part was meeting all the people who have an association with John Tiller games, whether as developers, designers or guys like me who just enjoy the competition. The instructional videos were also fun. Hope they make another appearance. Big Grin

Another great part was sitting in on the meetings where I got to hear first hand the reasoning behind the design desicions & kind of where the series is heading.

I'm going to Nashville in May & look forward to meeting everyone again. Highly recommend it.
03-11-2010, 04:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM by Bacillus98.)
Thank you for the replies. It sounds like it a great event, especially being able to interact with the designers/developers. The instructional videos sound like a great idea as well.
03-16-2010, 12:53 AM,
I've never talked to anyone who attended it and regretted it...in fact most wish they could do it more often.

At this year's event there's not only going to be discussions about the existing games with John Tiller and the teams, but there will also be a segment to discuss future game development and demo some things JT has been working on. Something special for those who get to attend!

Of course each person will walk away with a free HPS title as well.
03-23-2010, 12:18 AM,
A schedule of events has been posted at

http://hpssims.com.c7.previewyoursite.com/forums/