• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Africa at War....Try It
02-26-2010, 09:01 AM,
Africa at War....Try It
If any of you are on the fence about installing this mod and giving it a go...wait no more. Everytime I fire this up I am amazed at the quality piece of work it is. If installing mods gives you any issues (such as it does with dullards like me usually), this one is even more your cup of tea with the self-extractracting files and all.

I have yet to play a bad scenario. Don't read me wrong...I've PLAYED badly in many of them...but haven't played a poorly designed one yet.

If you are into fast pace, modern weapons, lethal battlefields, and just loads of fun...this is your game. BTW...you are going to really want to brush up on your armored infantry assault tactics as well as a good "Terrain 101" primer. Poor use of available cover in this game gets you dead very quickly. There are times you will find yourself picking your paths hex by hex, cautiously looking at all visible hexes/lines of sight. You'll also find yourself needing to use smoke generators on your light/med armor in nearly every situation...often for post op fire cover.

Right now...the esteemed Mr. Harden and I are engaged in a "scrap metal producing slug fest" that is nothing short of a lightening round on a game show. It's fire and manuever...or die. Great stuff!

Seriously...give this mod a go...you'll not be sorry. And feel free if you have it installed to fire up a scenario and send it my way. I need to branch out in opponents...the top 8 of the ladder are spending an inordinate amount of time using me as a punching bag. Ha.
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2010, 12:19 PM,
RE: Africa at War....Try It
Pacific War is close to the top of my list of games to buy next, and I'll definitely be installing AaW. I'll drop you a line when I do. ;)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

02-26-2010, 12:55 PM,
(02-26-2010, 12:19 PM)Mad_Dog Wrote: Pacific War is close to the top of my list of games to buy next, and I'll definitely be installing AaW. I'll drop you a line when I do. ;)

Sounds fine to me mate. I have really enjoyed SAW as well...both the original and the Arab/Israeli mod. The Soviet "incursion" into Afghanistan was a very interesting theatre where numbers and technology was not always the winner.

Too bad our leaders don't realize it's pretty much the same war WE are fighting now that the Soviets lost at dismally. I am all for protecting our freedoms, and mostly support what this country and our allies do but the Iraq/Afghani wars were mistakes pure and simple.

I couldn't speak my thoughts while on active duty publicly but I predicted pretty much all that happened with that mess. Basically we go in, kick the Iraq army to the stone age, we don't find any WMD's, we find and see Saddam H killed, and we then get embroiled in a quagmire from which it is difficult to extract ourselves from.

I honestly don't believe the past 9 or 10 years in those countries has made me safer or improved the life of my family one bit. But many countries have wasted countless lives in the name of I am not sure what.

Anyway...sorry...where did my political diatribe come from? Ha. Feel free to slap me about for getting too wordy. But I feel I can express myself here among friends and folks that know the reality of war.

One other thing...you want to remember why we fight to stay free? Watch "WW II in HD" by/on the History Channel. Those men (and woman) I believe WERE the greatest generation. I don't believe I could have done the things they did. It is a very sobering, sometimes disturbing, documentary of that horrific but sometimes glorious era.

Now I'll zip it.
02-26-2010, 05:50 PM,
A@W is Frank's masterpiece. As Riley has put nicely being the one that fires the first shot means life and death in this game with those weapons and that means one word; recon. Same rule applies to other games but WW2 era weapons can sometimes be forgiving. I am still trying to provide new content to support it when I find time between designing game, harrassing Rich, giving lectures and changing diapers.
02-26-2010, 11:16 PM,
I agree, A@W is great fun.
Send this user an email
02-27-2010, 12:42 AM,
I've only played it once, a crushing loss to Riley, but did find it enjoyable.

Interesting note about the game. There has been debate in the past about the lethality of the weaponry in AAW. Some critics think that they are over-lethal. Certainly, if you compare those weapons to that of SAW, there is a marked difference, I believe.

That said, there are just too many SB titles right now to hit them all. I'd like to delve more into the game at some point. Just don't know when.

Make sure that you take advantage of the newest patch to Pacific War and apply the appropriate files to your AAW game. The patched PW exe file, the dll files and the manifest files. Move them from your PW folder into the AAW folder and you get the engine upgrade.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
02-27-2010, 04:48 AM,
AAW is outstanding and has some of the best scenarios of the entire series. My particular favorite is "Le Dernier Argument" -a vintage attack and/or defend game.
03-24-2010, 06:20 AM,
(02-27-2010, 04:48 AM)kolc Wrote: AAW is outstanding and has some of the best scenarios of the entire series. My particular favorite is "Le Dernier Argument" -a vintage attack and/or defend game.

Africa at War is still KING of SqB's in my humble opinion. :)

RedMike...out
03-24-2010, 06:34 AM,
(03-24-2010, 06:20 AM)RedMike Wrote:
(02-27-2010, 04:48 AM)kolc Wrote: AAW is outstanding and has some of the best scenarios of the entire series. My particular favorite is "Le Dernier Argument" -a vintage attack and/or defend game.

Africa at War is still KING of SqB's in my humble opinion. :)

RedMike...out

RedMike is alive!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4