• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Range Modifier
01-13-2010, 07:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2010, 08:06 AM by Aaron.)
Range Modifier
Since looking at the digging-in modifier it made me start looking at all those other not so well known modifiers in the .pdt file and that lead me to the range modifier, now the manual says 1/2 and 1/3rd but the .pdt says 1,2 or 3 so is my assumption correct that a 2 is 1/2 and a 3 is 1/3rd?

And if a 3 is 1/3rd then this means fire would be reduced 1/3rd at a 2 hex range or would be 1/3rd at a 2 hex range? LOL

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2010, 08:39 AM,
RE: Range Modifier
It means that fire will be 1/3 of its normal value at two hexes range (ie. a hard attack of 3 would be reduced to 1 at two hexes). So, if you want direct fire to be reduced in effectiveness over range, the best you can do is give a value of "2", which means that fire at two hexes will only be reduced by half. A "1" would make it full strength at all ranges of course.
Send this user an email
01-13-2010, 08:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2010, 08:59 AM by Aaron.)
Volcano Man Wrote:It means that fire will be 1/3 of its normal value at two hexes range (ie. a hard attack of 3 would be reduced to 1 at two hexes). So, if you want direct fire to be reduced in effectiveness over range, the best you can do is give a value of "2", which means that fire at two hexes will only be reduced by half. A "1" would make it full strength at all ranges of course.

Thanks, that what i was thinking just wanted to make sure.

I noticed all the MC games have it at 1/2, is this a carry over from PzC because it makes sense a round in WWII losing that much penetration over 1 mile but in modern times looking at penetration numbers and cant see anything less the 1/3rd, now over 2 miles i can see a 1/2 value. Doesn't really matter i know it can be changed if i want to but was just wondering.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
01-13-2010, 09:13 AM,
I would think 2 things on this Aaron. First, for PzC the range mod is for 1 KM, vs 1 Mi in MC, so there is less drop of in the MC games for the same setting. Also, although penetration may not drop off as quickly with new shell types and higher velocities in the MC series, there are other factors that impact the liklihood of a hit over distance, not just accuracy but a moving target will travel further at the longer distance. So within the bounds of the granularity of the setting - as VM says you are looking at full strength or one half with nothing in between - I think it works okay anyway. With so many factors to account for it is close anyway, I would think.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-13-2010, 09:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM by Aaron.)
Ricky B Wrote:I would think 2 things on this Aaron. First, for PzC the range mod is for 1 KM, vs 1 Mi in MC, so there is less drop of in the MC games for the same setting. Also, although penetration may not drop off as quickly with new shell types and higher velocities in the MC series, there are other factors that impact the liklihood of a hit over distance, not just accuracy but a moving target will travel further at the longer distance. So within the bounds of the granularity of the setting - as VM says you are looking at full strength or one half with nothing in between - I think it works okay anyway. With so many factors to account for it is close anyway, I would think.

Rick

Ah Km vs. miles, i must be a NASA engineer trying to put a satellite into Mars orbit.........

Theres nothing in between 1 (no) and 2 (half) but the manual does say 1/3 so there should be a 3. What would happen if i put 4 would NASA fire me

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
01-13-2010, 05:34 PM,
Actually, in PzC the standard range modifier is 3. So, at 2km distance, the firepower is reduced to 1/3 of its original value. In MC, the standard value is 2, so at 2 miles the firepower is reduced to 1/2. I would say that it is very generously geared towards Modern Campaigns there. If you made the value 4, then the fire at two hexes in either game would be 1/4th the original value, which is of course very low.

Two things to remember:

1) ATGM units (missle type) do not get reduced by the range modifier, because HEAT type warheads are not reduced in power by range.

2) The range modifier is enacted because the range of course makes it a little harder to hit the target, but mainly it represents that non HEAT/HE rounds lose power once they leave the muzzle of the gun. Of course in PzC and MC this is all generalized, I mean who is to say the unit is not using HE or HEAT ammo (tanks), but a whole digit range value to represent all that works well at this scale.
Send this user an email