• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Armor in SB
12-04-2009, 01:13 AM,
Armor in SB
will hps ever enhance the armor modelling in SB?

while I appreciate the infantry focus of the game, a more realistic armor simulation would make the game that much better, and some of the limitations, like not being able to dig in and hide armor, make it quite unrealistic.
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2009, 01:34 AM,
RE: Armor in SB
bwv Wrote:will hps ever enhance the armor modelling in SB?

while I appreciate the infantry focus of the game, a more realistic armor simulation would make the game that much better, and some of the limitations, like not being able to dig in and hide armor, make it quite unrealistic.

I guess I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'digging in and hiding armor' specifically. The latest update for the game engine, which is being rolled out for all the titles, allows the use of the 'hull down' feature for tanks, which gives them a much greater measure of protection when firing.

Given that the game moves at 5 minute increments per turn, it might be a bit unrealistic to have a feature where you could take existing tanks and place them into a 'hull down' configuration. It would chew up most of the time allotted to the scenario digging in.

Given where the series started in terms of how it handles armor, and where it is now, they've made some pretty nice strides. SB is always going to be an infantry-focused game first and foremost, but improvements to armor modeling have been made steadily, I feel.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-04-2009, 03:58 AM,
RE: Armor in SB
The newly added hull down feature allows scenario designers to place dug-in vehicles. There is also hex side protection for the tanks. Thats is certain hex side features like low walls or hedges give protection to the tanks. I think probably the only biggest issue is the absence of correlation between speed and accuracy.