• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Who Uses Air Support?
10-05-2009, 10:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM by Mad Baron.)
Who Uses Air Support?
I like air support in larger battles where I expect indirect fire will be hard to call in, but still want that value as potential hits. Inexpensive Air that has either many strafes or some big bombs, whatever might be needed.

Always sort of a wild card, though.

But this Romanian IAR-80A fighter, with six 8mm guns, has been tallying some kills already....

Here, a Soviet MG Carrier ''buys the farm''...! ;)

Attached Files
.jpg   New Bitmap Image.jpg (Size: 55.03 KB / Downloads: 61)
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2009, 11:07 AM,
RE: Who Uses Air Support?
nice pic!
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-05-2009, 01:34 PM,
They are a bit of a hit or miss as far as effective attacks. The one thing that you do get is a good idea where the bad guys might be hiding, even if you do not see the target, if a plane is shooting, and dropping bombs, then there must be a target there somewhere.
10-05-2009, 06:26 PM,
Sometimes I buy air support.....always I buy at least one AA gun, it can go a long way in keeping enemy air support from ruining your day.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
10-05-2009, 08:05 PM,
I know this carrier it was one of mine :hissy:
10-06-2009, 12:08 AM,
I usually buy it if feasible. Usually very ineffective for me. And with about 10 games going I often forget which ones have it. Would be nice if there was an indicator if there was air support in the game and how many sorties left. Close Combat did it well. We have artillry observers, why not an air force observer?
10-06-2009, 03:00 AM,
Quote:We have artillry observers, why not an air force observer?

Because the ground-air communication systems wern't good enough for most of the war as far as i understand it. I believe the germans and later on in the war the americans (and possibly the rest of the allies) did have Forward Air Observers, this has been discussed with regards to CM:Normandy.

I do think it would be useful to have some indicator as to weather you had air support or not, but sometimes the air sorties you buy never turn up so it could be misleading.

I do use air support btw, especially in the desert and large point battles, but i rarely buy it when rarity is on because it becomes too expensive to buy.
10-06-2009, 06:38 AM,
Only if I'm allowed to see the map before hand, and see the terrain, well pretty much open.
Even then it is a somewhat risky business.. :-)
10-06-2009, 07:29 AM,
Very rarely i use air support as i think its too expensive.
I do buy some A/A Guns in QBs though for A/A defence
10-06-2009, 10:47 AM,
I generally don't use it - I'd rather the game be decided by player decisions and not AI controlled planes.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift