• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rail Road in M C
09-24-2009, 11:04 PM,
Rail Road in M C
Why there are no railways in Danube Front '85? They have been very well made in Pz C.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2009, 12:48 AM,
RE: Rail Road in M C
Specially taking into account how important the railroad bridges would be when you wanted to cross a river...
09-25-2009, 04:28 AM,
P.Ako Wrote:Specially taking into account how important the railroad bridges would be when you wanted to cross a river...

Yes. Without the railway badly....:(
Send this user an email
09-25-2009, 04:54 AM,
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of bridges in Danube.
09-25-2009, 05:01 AM,
James Ward Wrote:There doesn't seem to be any shortage of bridges in Danube.

There is shortage of railways....
Send this user an email
09-25-2009, 05:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2009, 05:10 AM by Ricky B.)
I think this question was raised before, maybe use the search function. If I recall correctly, Glenn stated that in general with almost everybody motorized, it appeared neither side planned on using rails to move major formations to the front from their initial deployment areas. Even if it wasn't Glenn - or what he said if anything on the subject - I am not aware of any plans for major rail movement of units and their equipment up to the front - it was to move to where your equipment is and road march to the front and start fighting when ordered. In other words use the roads. Rails saved for moving supplies and specific equipment, maybe some manpower, but not division A as a whole from reserve to Hamburg to fight.

May be wrong, that is my take on it however.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-25-2009, 05:09 AM,
Ostland [SPR Wrote:]
James Ward Wrote:There doesn't seem to be any shortage of bridges in Danube.

There is shortage of railways....

I guess it depend on what hex they are located in. :)
09-25-2009, 06:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2009, 06:59 AM by Hans Boersma.)
Ricky B Wrote:I am not aware of any plans for major rail movement of units and their equipment up to the front

For the Dutch railway movement was an integrated and rather vital part of their war plans; in the eighties they bought 400+ extra flatcars for this purpose (in addition to some 300 they already had) and built or modified train stations with special ramps for loading armoured vehicles.

Maybe their situation (maldeployment) was unique as they had only one armoured brigade (+) permanently stationed in Germany - so whether this calls for rail movement across the board remains a judgement call (I for one would like to see it as it would portray the Dutch situation better and I can also imagine it would add an interesting aspect to the game [supply]).

Of the 2 2/3rd divisions in the Netherlands all tracked units were to travel by rail to their war positions - some 600 kilometres. Movement by road was of course possible, but after 600 km in an YPR, M113 or Leopard (tried in manoeuvres) you can imagine these units wouldn't exactly be fit to ride into battle on arrival.

Can't say much about other armies except that the Germans used rail movement too; the reason the Dutch bought extra flatcars was because it was very doubtful if the ones they would lend from the Germans would be available in time.
I also seem to recall that the various REFORGERs used quite a bit of railroad movement through the Netherlands, but I don't have any specifics on that. In 1985 not all US Divisions had POMCUS in place anyway.
Send this user an email
09-25-2009, 09:43 AM,
Frst of all - there are RRs in the MC Series - just check out the maps in Korea 85 and Middle East 67.

The reason why there is no RRs in the Euopean MC titles is because the guys who made the first MC in Europe, Fulda Gap 85, decided this was going to be a short sharp war where rail would not have a chance to come into play.

Later we extended the map to the North German Plain and the map for that game overlapped FG85. I wa involved n that project and what I agreed to do was continue this short sharp war to the north for the rest of the Nato Allies.

The current map going all the way yo Austria is a composite of many pieces put together and the MAP Overlay files no longer fit so it makesit very difficult to view the game map now with the source maps they were created with.

...so thre is no RRs - sorry.

Glenn
Send this user an email
09-25-2009, 12:40 PM,
Any plans for a MC game that would expand the length of the war?