• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Most Tenacious" Award
09-06-2009, 05:49 PM,
"Most Tenacious" Award
So what do I get for 7 bloody major losses in a row? Ack. Either I really suck or my competition is just that much better. Or both. Ha.

What is not seen is a couple of those were just grinders and pretty close towards the end.

Game on gents and well played.
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2009, 08:07 PM,
RE: "Most Tenacious" Award
come now Riley, we ALL know the answer to that one.. :P

that's why you avoid sending me that PzC game file Big Grin
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
09-07-2009, 05:14 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:come now Riley, we ALL know the answer to that one.. :P

Um a bonus five free games against Oz? Big Grin

It is an ugly wee run alright. In saying that the stats don't really show the real picture as our last couple of games were pretty close. You would have taken out one of them if it were not from the help of good old HE.

Looking on the bright side of things - it helps keep me one spot in front of you on the ladder! :)
09-07-2009, 06:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2009, 06:09 AM by Panzer VI.)
Out of the 14 games I've played since I joined, 12 were Major Losses, 1 was a draw, the last was a minor victory but that was only because we didn't realize the scenario was so unbalanced.So, I think I just suck, + I usually play against high ranking members.Currently getting my butt kicked in a Smolensk '41, although there is some hope in my squad battles game.At this rate, there's going to be no point in playing anymore.It starts to get no fun losing all the time.
09-07-2009, 08:15 PM,
Panzer VI Wrote:Out of the 14 games I've played since I joined, 12 were Major Losses, 1 was a draw, the last was a minor victory but that was only because we didn't realize the scenario was so unbalanced.So, I think I just suck, + I usually play against high ranking members.Currently getting my butt kicked in a Smolensk '41, although there is some hope in my squad battles game.At this rate, there's going to be no point in playing anymore.It starts to get no fun losing all the time.

Hang in there Panzer. To begin most of us have a bit of a rough patch - especially if you are fronting up to some of the good players. But I reckon you will start to get a few more wins under your belt as you get more experienced. I'm a pretty middle of the road player and it has taken me a hundred or so games to scrape my way to a around 45% win record - the last year is up around 60-70% I think which shows I lost quite a bit more in the early years.

I agree it isn't much fun losing all the time. Hang in there and touch wood you get a few more of those skewed scenarios :)
09-08-2009, 02:58 AM,
Panzer VI Wrote:Out of the 14 games I've played since I joined, 12 were Major Losses, 1 was a draw, the last was a minor victory but that was only because we didn't realize the scenario was so unbalanced.So, I think I just suck, + I usually play against high ranking members.Currently getting my butt kicked in a Smolensk '41, although there is some hope in my squad battles game.At this rate, there's going to be no point in playing anymore.It starts to get no fun losing all the time.

As a player in the midst a slump myself, I think you need to keep things in perspective when it comes to 'winning and losing' games on ladder. Sure, it's always great to win, but I think the key to happiness when playing SB, or any wargame, is to try to play your best, improve your game with each scenario you play, and not get too worried about your W/L record.

If you're taking on high ranking ladder players, sure, you're gonna have some tough battles, but keeping with it and learning from your mistakes, and more importantly, studying the various tactics of your opponents, will start to pay off. No-one plays a guy like Ozgur because they think they're going to win, but you use games against a superior opponent to improve your own play.

The fun, at least for me, is in the battle. As long as I'm playing well and not totally giving scenarios away due to bad gameplay, then I'm fine with things because most of the guys I play feel the same way.

No-one here measures their self-worth based on their winning percentage. Have fun, that's the key.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
09-08-2009, 03:09 AM,
Hi Panzer Dont give up when I started i lost more than i won but i learned.
alot from those losses still not anywhere near a great player of this series.I Like these games and the people that i play thats the main reason im here if your here for just winning and losses I agree you will lose interest real quick.
09-08-2009, 04:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2009, 04:30 AM by Panzer VI.)
Thanks for your kind words, I'm afraid it's the last turn of Soviet-Afghan War SQB game, no objectives taken, half my men are either in a "pinned" or "demoralized" state, so another Major Loss on the board.I understand you play to improve your game, that's why when I joined the club I only played experienced players.

I also understand that you shouldn't be worried about your record, but the W/L record is why we do clubs like this in the first place.If really all we are here to do is "have fun" then why is there a ladder in the first place?Yes, have fun with it but when you have 12 major losses, and one minor victory thats only a victory by technicality(unbalanced scenario) and not necessarily by actual skill, you start to become worried abit.
09-08-2009, 04:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2009, 04:57 AM by Alpha Zwo.)
Hi Panzer, I think the scenario we are currently playing was just an unlucky choice - if not the scenario itself then the side Big Grin and I don't think I would have done better as the Mujahideen player. Stick to the SqB series! It's a great game and we need every single player as there don't seem to be too many of us out there.
09-08-2009, 11:05 AM,
Panzer VI Wrote:Thanks for your kind words, I'm afraid it's the last turn of Soviet-Afghan War SQB game, no objectives taken, half my men are either in a "pinned" or "demoralized" state, so another Major Loss on the board.I understand you play to improve your game, that's why when I joined the club I only played experienced players.

I also understand that you shouldn't be worried about your record, but the W/L record is why we do clubs like this in the first place.If really all we are here to do is "have fun" then why is there a ladder in the first place?Yes, have fun with it but when you have 12 major losses, and one minor victory thats only a victory by technicality(unbalanced scenario) and not necessarily by actual skill, you start to become worried abit.

SAW is a tough game to win if you play the Russians. I've only managed victories as the Mujahideen, so try their side if you are getting frustrated. I think the RPG is twice as effective in Afhganistan than it is anywhere else...Cry

Try out AIW and TLW for a different flavour than SAW too, if you need a change of pace.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier