• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

No Tournament for Old Men
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2009, 07:15 AM by Montana Grizz.)
Thumbs_Up  No Tournament for Old Men
I currently have the 12 contestants I need for this tournament.

Alternates will be accepted until stated otherwise. Alternates will assume the position and points of the person they are replacing.

The tournament will be divided into two separate 6-man sections. You will play a mirror game against every person in your section (10 games total). You will then play one mirror game against a person in the section you are not in. This matchup will be based on point totals at that time.

Section A:

Montana Mud
John Given
Otlig
Deutscher Landser
Majog
FScout

Section B:

Panzerjaeger
Rupert
Smedley
Relayer
Mwest
Scud

The first match will officially begin on Sept. 11th and end on Nov. 11th. You and your opponent will be sent an email before the beginning of each round listing the scenario name and the beginning and ending date. The email will provide you with easy access to your opponents email address for contact.

The scenarios in order of play are:

"The Last Crusade" EFII (10 turns)
"The Devils Graveyard" WF (12 turns)
"Manstein's Prize" EFII (15 turns)
"Panzer Leader" WF (15 turns)
"The Siberians are Coming" EFII (18 turns)
"Unexpected" WF (18 turns)

I suspect that some of the scenarios will be finished before the official deadline. In this case, new matchups will be provided immediately.

Please do not post any concerns or problems you might have on this site. Contact me directly at: [email protected]

Each of you have been provided with the official rules for the tournament and each of you have responded with agreement to those rules.

I am currently emailing each participant with the information necessary to begin the first match. I will provide another post listing the first round matchups in a day or two.

Have fun and good luck,

Pat (Tournament Director)

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM,
RE: No Tournament for Old Men
I could not have created and started this tournament without the kind assistance of the following individuals:

Remko has helped me create the tournament badge that will be awarded to each participant that finishes the tournament.

The participants themselves have provided me with suggestions and helped me in clearing up the rules for the tournament.

A VERY SPECIAL THANKS TO: Mr. Roadrunner for making the tremendous effort of providing me with suggestions for scenarios applicable to the tournament. Couldn't have done it without you Ed.

Antoni (site moderator) has gone out of his way to assist me in clearing the hurdles inherent in running a tournament. I know he would say that, "It's my job", but his extraordinary efforts are more than worthy of a "For he's a jolly good fellow" from each of us.

Pat

09-04-2009, 10:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2009, 07:18 AM by Montana Grizz.)
First round matchups:

Mwest vs Scud
Otlig vs Deutscher Landser
Rupert vs Panzerjaeger
Montana Mud vs FScout
Smedley vs Relayer
John Given vs Majog

I will post results as they become available.

Pat

09-05-2009, 06:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2009, 07:24 AM by Montana Grizz.)
b_Exclamation Mark  RE: No Tournament for Old Men
There was a mistake in communication between Remko and myself. Remko will not be playing in the tournament and has been replaced by Majog.

The matchup in the first round will be John Given vs Majog.

Just last night, I was congratulating myself on having addressed all the issues with nothing but calm seas and smooth sailing ahead :hissy::grin2:

09-05-2009, 07:56 AM,
Montana Grizz Wrote:Just last night, I was congratulating myself on having addressed all the issues with nothing but calm seas and smooth sailing ahead :hissy::grin2:

Pat.................this is a hoot! No such thing as calm seas around here!

Rob
09-05-2009, 09:00 AM,
I should have talked to you first Rob before offering myself that bottle of wine and slap on the back.

What I thought was quiet and private self-congratulations was a poorly administered Heimlich Maneuver.

Oh well, we are off and running again. I'll save the next bottle of wine for this time next year and settle for shots of Vodka.

09-06-2009, 01:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2010, 09:24 AM by Montana Grizz.)
TOURNAMENT STANDINGS:

Kool Kat (Mwest) - (Finished tournament 12th place)
Scud - 115 (5 scenario's)
Otlig - 115 (5 scenario's)
Deutscher Landser - 108 (5 scenario's)
Rupert - 81 (5 scenario's)
Panzerjaeger - 82 (5 scenario's)
Montana Mud - 139 (5 scenario's)
FScout - 113 (5 scenario's)
Smedley - 186 (5 scenario's)
Relayer - 103 (5 scenario's)
John Given - 115 (5 scenario's)
Majog - (Finished tournament 11th place)

This will be the page where you can view the current tournament standings. I can edit this post.

Since I happen to be a rather chatty person, and expect there to be many pages in this thread, I wanted to have the standings posted on the first page.

09-09-2009, 11:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2009, 10:00 PM by Montana Grizz.)
For your information:

The selection of players for the two divisons was done by "blind draw". However, since you are required to play every person in your division, I matched up as many European vs European and USA vs USA opponents as possible for the first round.

This was done in the hope that this would expedite the completion of the first round. I've noticed in my gaming experience when playing an opponent within my own country that multiple moves are often made during the weekend.

This sometimes happens versus European opponents that either stay up very late or make moves very early in the morning and I am staying up late.

I will perform a "blind draw" for the next and all subsequent rounds.

Once people begin to finish the first round, I will email participants for the next round with scenario name and their opponents name. If these two persons make contact and wish to proceed with the next round, that's fine. No person will be required to begin the next round until such time as the date for that round to begin has been been reached. However, these two participants may begin the next round whether they have finished the previous round or not.

Some combatants may have more gaming time available to them and wish to proceed to the next round, but you can only make contact and ask if your opponent wishes to start the new mirror round. They are in no way obligated to do so.

If every participant finishes a round before the scheduled end of a round, then new beginning and ending dates for the next round will be provided to each of them by email. If you start a matchup prior to all participants having finished the previous round, then you will simply have more time in which to complete that game and will be informed of the new completion date once the previous round has been completed.

09-14-2009, 10:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2009, 04:56 AM by Montana Grizz.)
Comments and tournament related observations are welcome on this site by participants and observers.

If you have a tournament related question or problem, I suggest you contact me directly.

If the question and answer might be of value for others, I will post it here.

I believe that problems and/or concerns in regard to the tournament should be addressed in a more private manner.

I will post a message at least once a week on this thread whether there is anything of significance to report or not. I want everyone to know that I am paying very close attention to tournament management.

Each participant was emailed a first round matchup on 9/3 with specific instructions that they could begin immediately or wait until 9/11 to begin their match.

As of this date, I have not been contacted by anyone saying that they have not begun their match or were unable to make contact with their opponent.

I encourage each of you to provide special attention to your tournament game(s). An average of 2 turns per week is more than enough to complete a 16 turn scenario in 8 weeks. Since the first four scenarios are all less than 16 turns and the last two scenarios will be allowed 10 weeks to complete, a rate of 2 turns per week on average will be more than sufficient.

"No news is good news", so my report at this time is that the tournament is moving right along.

Have fun and good luck,

Pat

09-17-2009, 12:04 AM,
When you look at the standings at any particular time, I thought it might be interesting for you to know the maximum points you might be able to win in a given round (if you were to get two major victories).

"The Last Crusade" - 24
"The Devil's Graveyard" - 24
"Manstein's Prize" - 48
"Panzer Leader" - 48
"The Siberian's are Coming - 48
"Unexpected" - 72

The reason for the scoring method of this tournament combined with the increasing point values in subsequent rounds keeps everyone statistically in the hunt up until the late rounds.

Remember that just finishing the tournament will get you 10 bonus points plus the tournament badge displayed on your member site.

Pat