• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What are you currently reading?
08-31-2009, 11:30 PM,
What are you currently reading?
Just for fun. Share any and all military/non-miltary readings you guys are currently into.

Just finished Keith Nolan's The Battle for Hue, 1968 and have moved onto Killer Elite by Michael Smith about the beginnings of the highly clandestine SF community that emerged after the tragic failed attempt to rescue the US Embassy hostages in Iran in 1979.

I am also starting Seeds of Change, a book written many years ago by Kerry Livgren, the guitarist/main songwriter of Kansas regarding his quest for finding his faith. Have always been a huge fan of the band and have found his divergent path of pursuing rock-and-roll stardom while seeking out his spiritual calling to be a very interesting one.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2009, 03:44 AM,
RE: What are you currently reading?
Finished two books last month:

- Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination". A classic science fiction novel from 1956. A brutal story of revenge from the 25th Century. Sort of the science fiction version of Count of Monte Cristo.

- Joe Hill's "Heart Shaped Box". A ghost story featuring, hypnosis, haunting of the past, family abuse, road trip and goth metal. Good reading; not that scary though.

Just started Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book". A story about a boy adopted by a cemetary full of ghosts. Usual quality storytelling from Gaiman and a very interesting idea to explore. Again not that scary for a novel presented as horror literature. Yeah still searching for a book that will raise the hairs behind my neck :) and I am open to any suggestions.
09-01-2009, 11:31 AM,
Some books I've read recently....

- 3 Para by Patrick Bishop, an excellen book about the British airborne in Helmand Province in Afghanistan in the summer of 2006. Anyone who enjoys SB will like it, I read it all the day I bought it.

- House to House but SSG David Bellavia. Another page turner about the battle for Fallujah in November 2004. Same as the above, everyone on this forum should read it.

- Killing Floor by Lee Child. A msytery starring Jack Reacher, an ex- military cop for the Special forces, and the trouble he always seems to find himself in. The first in the series, I've read a few, they are all very good. My wife got angry at this one.;)

I've also been enjoying the Malazan series, by Steven Erikson and Ian Esselmont for quite a few years. It's a fantasy series, with a military focus, and lots of epic battles that focus on (you guessed it!) squad tactics. They are getting near the end of it, I think, and the 10 books have been consistently excellent. Worth checking out.

Ozgur Budak Wrote:- Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination". A classic science fiction novel from 1956. A brutal story of revenge from the 25th Century. Sort of the science fiction version of Count of Monte Cristo.

You need to read 'The Demolished Man' as well. Alfred Bester is one of my favourite authors from the 50s, he seems unrecognized though. Another great author with similarly strange ideas is Theodore Sturgeon.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

09-01-2009, 06:31 PM,
Mad_Dog Wrote:You need to read 'The Demolished Man' as well. Alfred Bester is one of my favourite authors from the 50s, he seems unrecognized though. Another great author with similarly strange ideas is Theodore Sturgeon.

The Demolished Man is in my reading list. It just takes time since I have to buy them from Amazon or BnN and shipment takes time. Thanks for the Sturgeon tip.

Ah btw I am also reading on military history routinely but giving their names will hint one of the future titles and Rich would visit me with a shot gun :kill::cool:
09-01-2009, 10:51 PM,
Rich would never do the job himself, he'd contract that out...

;)
09-02-2009, 01:37 AM,
Steel my Soldiers Hearts by Lt Col David Hackworth.

just finished Dak To Edward F. Murphy (A great read)
Send this user an email
09-02-2009, 01:38 AM,
Wodin Wrote:Steel my Soldiers Hearts by Lt Col David Hackworth.

just finished Dak To Edward F. Murphy (A great read)

Hackworth's book is a good one as well.
09-02-2009, 05:22 AM,
Right now im reading Guadalcanal by Richard B. Frank so far a very good book.