• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ASL Graphics
08-26-2009, 01:55 PM,
ASL Graphics
Go to Task Force Echo 4 site and check out the new MOD
08-26-2009, 10:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2009, 01:31 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
RE: ASL Graphics
It isn't quite a 'new' mod, but it's a revision of an ASL conversion done by a guy named Franzi forwarded to me by a guy known as -E.

1. This graphics mod is setup for the default installation of the game
with no prior user modifications and/or additions. [This is a BIG one and needs to be addressed before adding the file]

2. Tradeoffs had to be made due to the way the Squad Battles series of games choose graphics. Pretty much anytime you see a white or grey background for graphics, it is either due to the graphics being shared or to lessen the impact of other shared graphics. If it’s a real problem, you can always restore all of your original graphics.

3. Several default scenarios in Pacific War have some real problems in
how less common forces’ unit foregrounds and backgrounds are chosen.
Some serious mixing and not matching going on (for an example see the
scenario Enemy of the People). If this is a major problem for you,
either fix the scenarios using the editors or avoid those scenarios or
just restore everything in your INFO directory.

As with all SB modifications, it's Buyer Beware. Copy your files before applying these modifications, that's all I'll say. I never tested this one out myself, not being an ASL guy. The graphics, while emulating ASL well, I'm sure, take away from the normal look of the terrain and make it look more cartoonish for my liking. I much prefer applying IronX's graphics files to my SB games to make the terrain look more realistic.

There's something for everyone, however, and if the ASL look enhances the game for folks, then by all means...
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-27-2009, 12:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2009, 01:00 AM by Lowlander.)
I'm just thankful that this series has at last moved into the 21st or should we say 20th century with these graphics mods.
I've had to dig out games from the back of the pile.

I am using a " pick and mix " or " mix and match " version.

Try the basic game with the Symbols and Units (ASL) both 2 files each from -E, with the Terrain and Villages both 2 files each from the AIW mod from IronX which makes for a clean uncluttered map.
These are all located in the game Map folder.

The AIW mod Terrain (buildings) and villages are more compact.
The ASL counter mod is a wonderful addition.

Attached Files
.jpg   untitled.JPG (Size: 424.52 KB / Downloads: 65)
08-27-2009, 01:24 AM,
That mix-and-match looks really nice.

I've been taken to task, slightly, for what seems to be my harsh wording on TFE4 and here. The limitations I mentioned were in the text file that is included with the MOD. Any negative implications regarding the work were not intentional.

I think the ASL folks will find this useful, and as I've said, anything that generates interest in the series is good.

A
08-27-2009, 01:41 AM,
Let's not fall out, life is too short.
Loads of great artistic works of art for free, and to be enjoyed by all.
Looks as if my Christmas wish list has expanded with the enclusion of three Squad battle games.
08-27-2009, 01:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2009, 01:47 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
I think the main issue was my comment that I preferred the IronX terrain graphics over the ASL style taken as a critique of the work. The other stuff wasn't written by me, I merely added it as a disclaimer.

You should join the ladder, get involved with some PBEM with your new toys!
08-27-2009, 02:05 AM,
I'm afraid my pbem day's are over, had some great times though with many tough and wonderful opponents.
Was spending too many hours on gaming and not enough on real life commitments and the routine dailly tasks !!!.
08-28-2009, 01:00 AM,
Due to some misunderstanding with the 'creator' of those files, that I still don't quite understand, I have been asked to remove them from TFE4. I will do so at some point this weekend when I go to update the site.

That being said, I would be willing to share the DL links to these files if asked. Just send me an EMAIL after I update the site.
08-29-2009, 06:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2009, 06:15 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
To avoid further melodrama, let me re-phrase my comment to say that if you wish to have the ASL mods and you contact me, I will be forwarding your EMAILs on to E (the creator of the mods).