• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rule Clarification Needed
08-23-2009, 09:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2009, 09:43 AM by Otto von Blotto.)
RE: Rule Clarification Needed
Von Luck Wrote::eek1::eek1::eek1Big Grinont mention ASL Ed some of the results from that game have been unreal.Dont get me wrong liked the game along with many others.3RD Reich Russian Front along with some of the Fleet games being my favourites.

AH's advanced 3RD reich, a true fav of mine, I still have the counter and software copy's am I anticipating World in Flames and war in the east, Yes I am and have been for the last 4 or 5 years.... watch your screens coming soon...I hope.:smoke:
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2009, 11:09 AM,
Gentlemen:

Exit hexes are an abstraction designed to add complexity to the topography of a game engine. Very few battles in WWII were settled by large amounts of combat/non combat units moving past one 250 meter hex to another. Absolutely none allowed said units to magically cease existence by crossing said magical line.

Any tactical technique used by the defenders, including stacking every unit they possess on said hex, should be considered germane and hirsute not to mention chivalrous within the spirit of a game that encourages abstraction.

In a perfect game/world/engine...said player would be able to fight those units...leave 24 burning wrecks and a perfect block...and then exit those units to subtract from the first side player's point harvest reaped by use of said exit objective...after pirouetting 360 degrees to enforce the in your face nature of such a ploy...

Well...OK...that may be over the top...but it's no more abstract then needing to avoid rolling a "six" on your first turn in 3rd Reich to take Poland (or lose WWII before you even get started!) or to give a nod to your AH games...have every single Focke Wulf 190 throughout Germany take off in the same game turn and run out of movement/gas 3 turns later...(Luftwaffe...one of my favorite yet massively flawed AH bookshelf games...I miss my ME-262's)

Can 400 jeeps assault a Tiger tank?
(:O)
You bet your a.. they could!
Panzerblitz says so!!!

Ed...you are a force for good in this group...don't ever change...

Scud...looking at your record...I'd say those units your opponent stacked on the exit hex were simply additional VPs for you to harvest on your way off the map...(:O)

Regards,

Dan
08-26-2009, 11:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
Dan,

I am not worthy of your praise! :bow::bow::bow:

I just speak old school and "common sense", from the Ed perspective. :smoke:

cheers

RR
08-26-2009, 05:37 PM,
Ed....

"Wings" .... the old Amiga PC game was one of my all time favourites, I've never been able to find anything like it on the PC... they don't make games like that any more unfortunately... unless anyone knows differently?? I'd love to be able to play one like that again.

Exit hexes..... all's fair in love and war as far as I am concerned... if you haven't destroyed your opponent enough to clear the hex/road, then you don't deserve the points you get from the exit anyway. Save your arty and air attacks and blast the buggers to kingdom come first, get the reward after.

simples....
08-26-2009, 07:48 PM,
Rudolph Hucker Wrote:Ed....

"Wings" .... the old Amiga PC game was one of my all time favourites, I've never been able to find anything like it on the PC... they don't make games like that any more unfortunately... unless anyone knows differently?? I'd love to be able to play one like that again.

I never found a PC game that could duplicate the "Wings" board wargame or AirForce and Dauntless for that matter.
I guess Amiga came closest. Red Baron was another but, I always had problems with the joystick. And, the old Commodore 64, "Spitfire". There was no joy. ;)

If I can talk my Friday night crew into playing "some planes" we break out the old Squad Leader maps and play "Wings" or we do miniatures in 1/300th scale.

cheers

RR
08-26-2009, 11:41 PM,
Dan Caviness Wrote:Scud...looking at your record...I'd say those units your opponent stacked on the exit hex were simply additional VPs for you to harvest on your way off the map...(:O)

I'm suspicious my current record is as flawed as the game we love so much to play, but thanks.

Regardless, my opponent failed to stack on the hex, which I found curious and assumed (incorrectly it turns out) that he was under the impression it was against club rules of engagement. Turns out he felt he had things in hand and felt I wouldn't make the hex anyway. He's a good guy who, although I don't mind beating him, would hate to beat him over a rule misunderstanding. Finding out it was just a mistake, well, OK then!
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
08-28-2009, 05:53 AM,
There was a PC version of Carriers at War out i still have it but it was for Win 95 quite a good game must see if i can get it to go on XP.
08-28-2009, 06:45 AM,
Ed,

Have you ever tried IL2, in any of it's guises?

Had trouble with the joystick, at first, too...but once learned, it's easy to build upon.

Was just wondering.

Cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
08-28-2009, 07:13 AM,
Mr. Guberman Wrote:Ed,

Have you ever tried IL2, in any of it's guises?

Had trouble with the joystick, at first, too...but once learned, it's easy to build upon.

Was just wondering.

Cheers
Curt

Curt,

I've seen it but, I have not played it.
Since my hand-eye coordination left me, and I have limited time to play on the PC, I have pretty much been a CS only player. :smoke:

Thanks! cheers

Ed
08-28-2009, 07:55 AM,
Ed,

I can understand why...but what a missed opportunity.

Much better than paper and arguments and die rolls...

IL2 simply blows the barn doors off of Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific or Aces over Europe...for that matter Microsoft Flight Simulator...

...for AtoA combat...it is the rat's ass...

cheers
Curt
Town Drunk