• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rule Clarification Needed
08-23-2009, 04:33 AM,
Rule Clarification Needed
I'm playing a scenario against an opponent who failed to stack any readily available combat units on an exit hex I was headed toward, allowing me to easily escape ~66 SP's and changing a likely draw into a clear minor v on the last turn. Although I appreciated the gentlemanly play, stacking combat units on an exit hex is perfectly acceptable correct? Just not noncombat units (on the hexes or blocking the approach)? Without starting a big debate, half tracks and carriers with a defense rating would be the grey area and should be brought up before the game. Again, correct?
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2009, 05:09 AM,
RE: Rule Clarification Needed
Correct in the first part combat units can be used in exit hexs, the second is a grey area. IMO if it has an attack/defence value it's useable.
08-23-2009, 05:14 AM,
Otto von Blotto Wrote:Correct in the first part combat units can be used in exit hexs, the second is a grey area. IMO if it has an attack/defence value it's useable.

I agree with both. If it is a combat unit let it block away!

cheers

RR
08-23-2009, 05:20 AM,
One amendment to the above in the sence of fair play I would use combat units in a exit hex, but not swamp it with armour so wrecks would block it entirely better to use infantry and soft targets in them.

Too many house / side rules make for bad game.
08-23-2009, 05:29 AM,
"The more corrupt the State, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus (I think)

Early computer games could not cover it all?
And, simple house rules have been around since the first game rules were written? :chin:
Although, I see the board game Squad Leader as being crushed by rules that were written to cover almost all the house rules as it morphed into Advanced Squad Leader.

We all should be happy with the simple and fun to play game we have in JTCS?
I'd hate to see what it would become if the current group of designers decided to cover all the aspects of the game with "game engine" hardened rules. EekWhip

cheers

RR
08-23-2009, 05:32 AM,
Thanks, guys, that's what I thought, but never hurts to ask.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
08-23-2009, 05:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2009, 05:37 AM by Otto von Blotto.)
Mr RR I agree I just like to play a fun game that both players enjoy win or lose cheers
08-23-2009, 05:48 AM,
As an aside, to avoid things like this as a designer, I have in the past put exit hexes not just on the road hex (for example) but in several hexes on either side. It's ridiculous to think that a few parked tanks or infantry that would be killed or driven off in the next turn or two should completely change the outcome of a battle because enemy tanks can't simply drive around them and keep going. Just my thoughts.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
08-23-2009, 06:50 AM,
:eek1::eek1::eek1Big Grinont mention ASL Ed some of the results from that game have been unreal.Dont get me wrong liked the game along with many others.3RD Reich Russian Front along with some of the Fleet games being my favourites.
08-23-2009, 07:36 AM,
Von Luck Wrote::eek1::eek1::eek1Big Grinont mention ASL Ed some of the results from that game have been unreal.Dont get me wrong liked the game along with many others.3RD Reich Russian Front along with some of the Fleet games being my favourites.

LOL! Ain't that the truth. I enjoyed plenty of AH and SPI stuff. Still do if truth be told. Though, I took my SqLdr maps and used them to play "Wings" (neither AH or SPI), a World War One game of individual plane on plane combat.
I still board wargame, some with my name in them, every Friday night, with three to four friends from my younger days. :smoke:

cheerscheerscheers

Ed