• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rzhev 42 German air power
08-13-2009, 05:58 AM,
Rzhev 42 German air power
I am playing the full campaign as German I wonder does anybody know why they have no air power?
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2009, 06:25 AM,
RE: Rzhev 42 German air power
Actually the scenario we're playing is #0804_01: A Close Brush with Disaster
08-13-2009, 11:06 AM,
I am not completely familiar with this Soviet offensive. I do remember reading the Russians mauled the Germans pretty good. They could not exploit success because they in turn were bled white.

I think the majority of the Axis Air power was in the south at this time supporting the drives to Stalingrad and the Caucasus at this time.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-13-2009, 03:31 PM,
I emailed this one to Mike Avanzini - not sure if he is available or away, but this one will have to leave with him. There are Luftwaffe units available in the OOB and it isn't like Mike to leave them out accidentially. On the other hand he may not remember what he was thinking when he did this.

Glenn
Send this user an email
08-13-2009, 10:35 PM,
I seem to remember the weather in this game was one of the big factors, it was terrible, as well as the excellent point Dog makes.
08-14-2009, 03:54 AM,
The scenario that they're playing is in August. It's not the Mars offensive.
08-14-2009, 04:01 AM,
Notice that this particular scenario in question took place in August 1942. The weather in the scenario is fine for flying unlike the storms that occurred over this battlefield in the scenarios dated between November 1942- and January 1943 in the game.

Glenn is right about the special Rzhev Aug '42.oob file. There is a lot of Axis air units listed there. If it is not a mistake, then could it be a question of air superiority on a local front level?

In any case, I did a quick survey by loading each of the August 1942 scenarios in the game. I found the list below did not have Axis air units available:
  • #0804_01 Pogoreloe_Full.scn A Close Brush with Disaster
  • #0804_01a Pogoreloe_Full.scn A Close Brush with Disaster (balanced)
  • #0804_02 Pogoreloe.scn Prelude to a Crisis
  • #0813_01_Dubna.scn The Ripple Effect
In each of these weather is not an issue with visibility starting out at four to five km and Russian air is active on the first turn.

All four of the August 11, 1942 Vyazma battle scenarios do have Axis air units available.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
08-14-2009, 04:11 AM,
First of all, I appreciate everyone's help looking in to this.

I knew it couldn't be a weather issue since I (the Soviet side) do have air power available. My guess is that, as DS previously mentioned, German airpower was occupied in other areas of the front.

I know I should have done this first, but I haven't had an opportunity to check the designer's note on this title or in some of my other resources.
08-14-2009, 06:45 AM,
Al and Dave,
I suggest you wait until Mike has a chance to respond to Glenn. There maybe a problem here. Perhaps an update broke something.
My investigation shows there is Axis air power on August 11 for the Vyazma scenarios, but not on scenarios starting August 4 or August 13. The area is not that large to conclude air in one place and not in the other within the context of the Rzhev (AGC) front.

While there is less air squadrons available than the Soviets in the Vyazma scenarios, I am beginning to believe there might be a chance of a mistake in having no air in the four other August 1942 scenarios.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
08-14-2009, 07:18 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:Al and Dave,
I suggest you wait until Mike has a chance to respond to Glenn. There maybe a problem here. Perhaps an update broke something.
My investigation shows there is Axis air power on August 11 for the Vyazma scenarios, but not on scenarios starting August 4 or August 13. The area is not that large to conclude air in one place and not in the other within the context of the Rzhev (AGC) front.

While there is less air squadrons available than the Soviets in the Vyazma scenarios, I am beginning to believe there might be a chance of a mistake in having no air in the four other August 1942 scenarios.

Dog Soldier

Sounds reasonable. We're well into this scenario (close to turn 40 out of 120) and to be honest, I'm not sure how much impact German airpower would have on me since I tend to move my units as if there is enemy air units lurking out there; i.e. I'm careful as to when & where I move my units in & out of travel mode, etc. Of course, I'm sure my opponent would like to have those air units! We'll figure out something in the meantime.

In any case, we're both enjoying the game. A real tough battle for both sides that probably won't be decided until close to the end.

Thanks again to all for the help.[/i]