• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Supply Example?
08-01-2009, 06:55 AM,
Supply Example?
It's my understanding that it's always best to put HQ (and maybe even supply?) units on or adjacent to other units. In the over five years I've been playing the game, I only recently learned the value of this thanks to playing in PBEM.

I'm still getting used to it, though. I like to put HQ and supply units just behind the front lines to keep them out of harm's way. Does anyone like to use them in an offense? Does it make a difference to put an HQ or supply unit on a road or rail hex?

Was hoping someone could post some illustrations of supply in action, with the Supply Value views turned on. That would be very helpful!
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2009, 08:18 AM,
RE: Supply Example?
AFAIK - the possible supply a unit can recieved is halved if it is not next to a fully cooperative HQ. The "fully cooperative" is important and is based on the formation support level. IF they are both of the same formation you are ok. For an HQ and a unit where either is part of a formation that is free support you are ok. For other combinations of support levels such as Army Support and Force support, it gets a bit more complicated and depends on the colours of the unit background and icon as to whether or not they are fully cooperative.

HQ's are worth keeping safe - supply is not the only issue, for example, if a formation loses its HQ unit, the whole formation suffers in certain "quality checks" and stands a greater chance of reorganising.

There is a good article on supply by Ed Morris in the Intel section, here

https://www.theblitz.club/articles/strat....php?id=97
08-02-2009, 01:27 AM,
that was a good link and read. thanks.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
08-02-2009, 01:26 PM,
A thousand "thank-you's" for posting the link for supply. That really helps me out, as I re-learn this game...!

Best regards,
Ken
08-02-2009, 11:26 PM,
Also, you can run a search either here, or in the archived TOAW forums, under "supply", and get some interesting information on supply sources, transportation asset sharing, etc.
08-15-2009, 12:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2009, 12:44 AM by Amnesia.)
Here is something critical and missing in the excellent article about the supply tips, when you play as the defenser side, or if you prefer, when your are the one who CLOSE the turn, before the replacement/supply updating of the nex turn :

With this example, you can see how the supply of a unit works with his adjacent hex, and the presence of opponent units :

[Image: sanstitrebel.jpg]

In this situation, there is no problem the unit is supplied...

Now look at here with a slight difference of the units positions :

[Image: sanstitre2mfy.jpg]

the german unit is in a surrounded position, if you let it like this, the unit will finish to decrease until 1% supply and the materiel will slowly decrease also..There is an exception ofcourse if your unit is just located on a supply source.

Actually you can even cut the supply of any unit of group of unit which are on 1 hex, with only 2 of your unit arround the sides.
You know the tiny shitty unit which look useless with [1 1] as attack/defense, use it to encircle stronger opponent units...
Even if your little unit get blitzed on the following turn, you will still have prevented the supply update of 1 or more opponent units..

This is in my opinion the big advantage of the defense side, when you try to do this in being the attacker, then the defenser can still react in moving his units to avoid these situations before the turn updating.
08-15-2009, 06:39 AM,
Good points, and a great illustration!
08-16-2009, 01:51 AM,
Hi All,

Now I know why the computer is always moving little units around my isolated units.
Thanks for the examples on supply.
I have a lot to learn.

Cheers,
Ken
09-16-2009, 07:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2009, 07:08 PM by Amnesia.)
Poor Andris..Yesterday I realised the biggest encirclement I ever performed on this game : 56 divisions at least !! I am about to defeat him with french army !! but don't worry for him he deserves it..I never forgot the humiliation in korea when I was playing my first matches against human opponents..Now I am taking my revenge Andris Fiery

So I decided to share the example :

[Image: 56divf.jpg]

There is only 2 hex of corridor, and I close the turn ! so these 56 divisions won't be supplied for one turn at least which is a disaster for him. Even if ofcourse He will send some units to protect the spike and I will certainely never completely close the pocket.

By the way, I take anybody on this scenario, and you too kru if you dare..;)
09-25-2009, 06:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2009, 08:44 PM by Amnesia.)
Another example of what is for me a good reaction..Or maybe not..

[Image: tobrukex.jpg]

Here, crusader 42, Andris is advancing with the group on the north of the map, with a significant superiority, in order to open the tobruk's pocket..I had the possibility to fortify the corridor with a few elements of the panzer korp, to slow his offensive, but I had here an opportunity to cut his whole group with 2 shitty units, and I am on the defenser side, so his loses of the fights of this turn won't be recovered for him at the next turn..He will be forced to retire some unit to recover his back supply line. Or he will continu to push to the West with the hope to get the supply point of tobruk, which is risky, because I recovered the air superiority recently, my corridor will be hard to break for him..

Don't worry too much for him, he is winning at +600 points currently..So I can allow myself to be vicious with him..:angry:

EDIT : ok forget..Actually he broke it at the following turn..:angry::angry::angry: