• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Playing with RSoE Graphics
07-29-2009, 03:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2009, 03:24 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
Playing with RSoE Graphics
I'll admit openly that one of my only criticisms of HPS is the lack of graphics enhancements to their games. Things have improved slightly over the past few years (trenches, for one), but nothing along the lines of IronX's enhancements starting with Long War and going through RSoE.

That being said, I do realize that HPS spends its limited resources on engine upgrades, which I'd rather have any day than fancy graphics, but can you have your cake and eat it too?

I took a couple of minutes on my lunch hour and cut-and-pasted a slew of graphics files from the Maps folder of RSoE and put them into Advance of the Reich, a game I don't play that much, so I figured that if things went FUBAR, I wouldn't be out much at that point. Here is what they look like...

[Image: untitled.jpg]

Now, I'm not saying that this is going to work for everything, but I think if you limit yourself to the buildings and terrain and the like, it should look OK with a variety of games.

I'm also sure I'm not the first to try this, but I thought it might be worth a post on here...

Don't blame me if things go bad, though! Back up your folders!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2009, 04:09 AM,
RE: Playing with RSoE Graphics
I also tried this with Korea, which seemed to work, although it did "Europeanize" the Korean Landscape, making it a bit more green than I'm sure it is.
07-29-2009, 09:57 AM,
I still love the idea of a face on the counters. Some of the mods made for AotR and ES I think are superb. That's why I want to do something similar for some of the new releases. I just need some Opsrey men at war artwork on my PC.
Send this user an email
07-29-2009, 10:46 AM,
TheBigRedOne Wrote:I also tried this with Korea, which seemed to work, although it did "Europeanize" the Korean Landscape, making it a bit more green than I'm sure it is.

I changed my mind on this statement. I looked at KW on my desktop before and after installing the new graphics, it looks very similar. The main difference I can see is that the snow isn't quite as 'white'. All in all it looks sharp, including the new 'tabs' that Andrew's come up with. I'm liking it.
07-29-2009, 11:00 AM,
Take a look at a Hue scenario in Vietnam with enhanced graphics. Really spruces up the scenario, at least to me.

[Image: HueGraphics.jpg]
07-31-2009, 04:16 AM,
I'm going to be putting together a folder that will include the files one would need to get a 'graphics enhancement'. It seems that applying IronX's most recent graphics files to almost any game spruces up the look of the game, including the most recent, Dien Bien Phu (especially with the new trench graphics).

I'll try to compile this for a Task Force Echo 4 update shortly, since I have several new things to add onto the site. I am currently waiting on the web folks at Wargamer to give me access to upload these files.
08-18-2009, 02:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2009, 02:10 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
I have included some screenshots of the 'graphics updates' of some of the SB titles, including from one of the new TOD scenarios.

Attached Files
.jpg   DBP Graphics.JPG (Size: 332.64 KB / Downloads: 39)
.jpg   Korea Graphics.JPG (Size: 305.34 KB / Downloads: 24)
.jpg   TOD Graphics Update.JPG (Size: 313.85 KB / Downloads: 25)
.jpg   Winter War Graphics Update.JPG (Size: 333.61 KB / Downloads: 24)
.jpg   SCW Graphics.JPG (Size: 408.62 KB / Downloads: 20)
08-18-2009, 02:12 AM,
One more-Eagle's Strike.

Attached Files
.jpg   ES Graphics.JPG (Size: 320.03 KB / Downloads: 26)
08-18-2009, 04:52 AM,
i just copy/paste the "2dterrain" files (100 and 50) and leave other files at the MAP folder.

this way i only change the trees, houses, buildings, ect... but leave the terrain colors original.

here is the Advance of the Reich picture shown above with original terrain colors and RSOE 2Dterrain100.bmp file ( I customized the buildings with Photoshop to more then 1 building in "City" Hex)
[Image: 2dqpnd3.jpg]
Dany "BigBlock" Sakr
Beirut / Lebanon
Send this user an email
08-18-2009, 05:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2009, 05:07 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
I like the one building for a city hex because it truly differentiates it from a town/village at a much quicker glance. The village/town thing can be hard to tell the difference at times, especially in the old graphics.

I also like the improved road graphics from RSoE, especially the primary road design.