• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

formulating an attack plan
07-27-2009, 06:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2009, 06:57 AM by Bacillus98.)
formulating an attack plan
In this discussion I am using the "Left Hook to Kharkov" scenario in K42. I wanted to get a solid idea on how experienced PzC players plan an attack. Everyone who is a veteran to the series in some way devises an attack plan. This I believe will help myself and other new players to the series. Many times I am confronted with "what do I do now ?" syndrome. The 253 Soviet ID is a starting point in my discussion. In this sector the Soviet player is facing a portion of the German 62nd ID and the element of the 108th Hungarian division. At first glance it looks like the placement of forces suggests that the 981st regiment should stay put since its in trenches. However, the Germans south of the Hungarians are in bunkers. This means they will be tougher to crack than the poor Hungarian troops in trenches. So how do you attack as the Russians? Do you mega stack a few hexes in key locations but at the expense of the Soviet flanks?
Note: All swastikas will be drawn through in case there is any German forums users to avoid any trouble.
[Image: firstturnattack.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2009, 07:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2009, 07:45 AM by Al.)
RE: formulating an attack plan
Quote:...Many times I am confronted with "what do I do now ?" syndrome...

Yep - everyone has that.

Back in my Army days they used to teach a concept called the "decision cycle". In a nutshell it is 1) Identify the objective 2) Develop a plan 3)Implement the plan. I'm sure something similar to that is still taught today.

For PzC, the first thing I always look at when starting a game is the VP levels & the objective hexes. That should be your primary concern when playing. Once you do that you can devise a plan to achieve those objectives & a victory.

From the example you provide, I'd identify the weakest point in the line (the Hungarians) and mass all that I could against that point while leaving a screening force opposite the well-dug-in Germans. You have some heavy artillery - use that first aginst the point you want to attack & try to disrupt those units. Once that is achieved assault those disrupted unit(s) to open a hole in the line. If you have mobile units, keep them close by to exploit your breakthrough otherwise keep some infantry available to do that. I've found that it helps to "think like a Russian" in the east front games. IMO, PzC is designed just for that.

Of course, all this is easier said than done so Good Luck!
07-28-2009, 12:32 AM,
Bacillus, I am currently playing the shorter version of this scenario (Out of the Izyum bulge) against the AI and I had to make the assessment of what to do in this area.

I think AI's advice of first looking at the objectives is good common sense. Since there is a 100-pts objectives just 4 kms behind the Hungarian trench lines, it certainly looks like an attractive target.

When attacking with the Soviets, it is important to look at troop quality since it tend to be generally worse than German. The 253rd Soviet Rifle Division was an experienced division at that time and is of C quality if I remember correctly, which is better than the D quality of the average rifle division which tends to be disrupted fast. Add to this the fact that they are facing Hungarian troops in trenches rather than bunkers, and it makes it kind of obvious you should try to break through there.

Another factor to take into account when assaulting with Soviets are the presence of enemy minefields. It is quite damning to get disrupted upon entering minefields without having the chance to launch an assault. Soviets have few Engineer units to clear minefields, which forces you as much as possible to look for clear hexes from which to assault from (the 253rd division is lucky enough to have an engineer battalion, which is not the case of all rifle divisions in this scenario). Fortunately, there is an unprotected gap in the Hungarian lines from which you can assault without having your units getting disrupted by minefields.

Keeping a few units to screen your flanks is also important when breaking through. A human player will cut you off if he sees wide holes. Even the AI is quite good to spot unprotected flanks where he can infiltrates and cut your supply lines. Finally, unless I am in dire straits and need to commit every single man to the attack, I always strive to keep reserve units behind, either to prevent enemy counterattacks or as second echelon assault forces. For example, in this case I would keep a regiment or 2 battalions of the 253rd ID behind, and assault with the 2 other regiments.
07-29-2009, 01:28 PM,
Thanks for the ideas. I am a novice to hexagonal wargaming, having only tried Axis and Allies and Risk.
07-29-2009, 03:14 PM,
Well, then, welcome to the wonderful world of real wargaming. cheers