• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Soviet Assault Values in alt scenarios
07-15-2009, 08:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2009, 01:16 PM by Bacillus98.)
Soviet Assault Values in alt scenarios
Does anyone know why in VM scenario's the Russians have on average lower assault values than the Germans? Only the MG battalions on the Soviet side have consistent higher assault values. I have read the documentation that comes with all of the alt scenarios, and it states the Soviets are built around assault, not direct fire. In Kharkov alt *Bridgehead on the donets scenario for example, the Guards actually have lower assault values than standard Soviet infantry.
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2009, 02:27 PM,
RE: Soviet Assault Values in alt scenarios
Yeah, I mentioned that on Volcano's board. But they are still better at assaulting because they dont suffer the -20% for being D quality. Anyways the assualting isnt really a problem for the russians, the Germans have trouble stacking more then 400 men in a hex, and 1200 Russians will ruin their whole day :)
07-15-2009, 02:50 PM,
I am pretty sure unit quality does effect the assault value. IIRC the best unit for defenders is used and the worst unit for attackers.
07-16-2009, 04:00 AM,
I have already went into great detail on why the Russian Guards infantry have lower assault ratings in the early war in the _Alt, it is over at vmods.com in the Kharkov thread.

In a nut shell, Guards are better in assault because they are better quality units, but Guards units are mostly defensive in nature until 1943 where they begin to surpass the regular infantry in every way. The guards units of 1941-1942 are supposed to be the stalwart defenders to hold the line, but that is not to say that they are not offensive units (I am just referring to the direct comparison of combat ratings here). Not everyone agrees with McNamara based db, or with all of the changes I have made so feel free to change the ratings to fit your own personal preference.
Send this user an email