• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Total war in europe sourhern front
06-18-2009, 05:38 AM,
Total war in europe sourhern front
Just got this game looks fine but:-) . I was a little dissapointed in that the Africa campaign has been split into small 20-30 turn battles,it would of been nice to have the whole thing in one big campaign or perhaps two .
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2009, 05:51 AM,
RE: Total war in europe sourhern front
The designer notes explains why that was done.
06-18-2009, 07:23 AM,
In a recent discussion thread Krak asked this same question and in response Glenn said.......

"TFB didn't have a grand CG either - the issue is Games Scale - it is 2 day turns and there is lots of time when not much happens.

In fact we included a full scn covering the period of the Italian invasion of Greece because we felt people would want it. We also included each Phase as a separate Scn - Italian initial attack, Greek Counter attack, and finally the German Invasion.

Glenn "
06-18-2009, 08:25 AM,
FWIW I intend to do a CG mod for WSF. But I have some requests I am in talks with Glenn about, eg the sooo slooow recovery rate. Would be nice if that was a parameter that designers could change. I am very positive about doing a CG mod. I have figured out work arounds for most of the problems, bar the recovery rate. The alure of playing the whole desert war with the TWiE system overides any fears of bordum due to longish periods of inaction.

cheers
06-18-2009, 09:13 AM,
Krak Wrote:FWIW I intend to do a CG mod for WSF. But I have some requests I am in talks with Glenn about, eg the sooo slooow recovery rate. Would be nice if that was a parameter that designers could change. I am very positive about doing a CG mod. I have figured out work arounds for most of the problems, bar the recovery rate. The alure of playing the whole desert war with the TWiE system overides any fears of bordum due to longish periods of inaction.

cheers

Look forward to that......:)
06-19-2009, 03:05 AM,
Krak Wrote:FWIW I intend to do a CG mod for WSF. But I have some requests I am in talks with Glenn about, eg the sooo slooow recovery rate. Would be nice if that was a parameter that designers could change. I am very positive about doing a CG mod. I have figured out work arounds for most of the problems, bar the recovery rate. The alure of playing the whole desert war with the TWiE system overides any fears of bordum due to longish periods of inaction.

cheers

How do you plan to handle "the long periods of inaction" that were due to supply constraints on both sides? Without some mechanism, I think you will create a game where a total victory is reached in NA in 1940!

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
06-19-2009, 03:54 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:How do you plan to handle "the long periods of inaction" that were due to supply constraints on both sides? Without some mechanism, I think you will create a game where a total victory is reached in NA in 1940!

Dog Soldier

Could you fix units at various times to simulate lack of supplies?
06-19-2009, 07:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2009, 11:03 PM by Steel God.)
Thumbs_Up  RE: Total war in europe sourhern front
Glenn and I discussed this at length, we both wanted to have a CG for North Africa, but we could not find a way to fill the long periods of inaction, as Dog Soldier mentions, and fixing units only leads to more inactivity, which, I'm afraid, for most players means a looooooong yawn.

However, having said that I am all for Krak having a go at this, it would be wonderful to have a Desert CG. I am also thinking Krak will be breaking new ground as well, I don't seem to remember anyone else even making a scenario for the TWIE system as yet. I may be wrong, forgive me if I am.

So.... way to go Krak, I know Glenn has committed to help as much as he can, give it your best shot we would love you to succeed.
06-19-2009, 07:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2009, 07:10 AM by Ricky B.)
Hey Blackie, is that a pic of you from WW2 for your posts? LOL, sorry, I had to pick on you a bit cheers. My son remembers you well for your kindness during your visit here in Denver and asks how you are doing once in a while.

Regards
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-19-2009, 09:29 AM,
Brian
At this stage in my thinking supply is not *the* major issue. I think there are enough limiting factors available to simulate the logistical restraints for both the Allies and Axis.

There are two supply ranges in the game, minor and major, both are parameters that can be adjusted. All supply will come via Ports and Mobile Supply units. Ports can be interdicted by air units. Ports are also suppressed for a number of days after capture, this is also an adjustable parameter. Mobile Supply units are limited by their slow movement rate and the small number of them in the game. Placing a low percentage chance each turn of fixing MSU's is also a possibility but it may not be required. MSU's, if spotted can also be interdicted, slowing their advance even further. If you carefully read the supply rules and all the related issues that can potentially hinder/disrupt supply I think you will see that enough logistical restraints can be applied by design or by the opposing player.

My main problem is the unit effectiveness recovery rate (UER). This is too slow at the moment. I need control of it. But UER is also another limiting factor, units cannot simply attack turn after turn because unit effectiveness degrades whereupon the offensive must stop. I want the recovery rate increased but it will still take a long time to recover. When units receive replacements the effectiveness goes down as well, this is another speed hump.

One other problem is not being able to rebuild eliminated units, that needs to be made possible. But there are ways around it. Strategy options can help here.

As for periods of inactivity, well yes that will be the case. It won't be a game of continuous action. That’s a given. It won't be a game for everyone.

Overall I think its very doable to get a CG up and running. I really like the TWiE system and it has such a huge potential for Divisional/Regimental scale campaigns. Ah the Eastern front beckons……..Big Grin

Dave
Thanks for the encouragement. Its great that HPS personnel are supportive of this kind of thing. Glenn is also helping me out with ideas and support. I am committed to making the best CG I can within the limitations of the game system.

cheers