• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Microsoft goes too far
06-14-2009, 07:17 AM,
Microsoft goes too far
Microsoft now automatically offer an upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 which I don't want and must refuse every time I go online. Why? Because it is 16 megs and my 6 year old computer would take ages to load it so I refuse it every time.
Did somebody posted a complaint about problems with it?
I run Matrix on broadband but the old computer is prefectly satisfactory and is loaded with heaps of developers' Talonsoft games and lots of other stuff that I treasure. It is also used as our main email computer so I resent Microsoft trying to make it inadequate.
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2009, 09:15 AM,
RE: Microsoft goes too far
That hasn't happened to me yet...............of course I never upgraded to IE 7 to start with............"if it ain't broke,don't fix it"

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
06-14-2009, 03:32 PM,
Somehow the automatic upgrades of IE7 have deleted my address book. I don't mind as I have the full set of addresses in Outlook Express but I do wish I had control of what the computer is doing
This makes me more than everr determined to resist the 16 meg upgrade to IE8 which it is still trying to get me to authorise

We now have 3 options
Going directly online for emails
or Going online and then Using Outlook Express
or Using Outlook which I believe is different again

Does anyone understand this mess?
06-14-2009, 04:16 PM,
Have you tried Firefox? Much more stable than anything Microsoft produces;)
06-14-2009, 06:02 PM,
I accept and install most upgrades, unfortunately my ISP upgraded my broadband the same day as I installed IE8. My PC suddenly started shutting down and restarting a couple of times over the next few days, always whilst online.
Norton found and fixed a problem each day during this period before the problem was finally resolved. But my wife knowns the road to pcworld !!!.
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM,
firefox 3 and thunderbird with avg free.. best combo I've used in years
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-15-2009, 08:58 AM,
I turned off the auto update function and I too will not use IE8

I prefer IE7.

Sometimes there are web sites that make IE7 crash and my last resort is Firefox.

Firefox is more robust but menu is layed out differently and I could not be bothered learning it.

-
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM,
I am grateful for all of your replies. Will hang in there with IE7 resisting IE8 and waiting to be convinced about Firefox as to switch to it would mean relaoding my large address book from Outlook Express.
06-15-2009, 09:33 AM,
Pip Roberts Wrote:I am grateful for all of your replies. Will hang in there with IE7 resisting IE8 and waiting to be convinced about Firefox as to switch to it would mean relaoding my large address book from Outlook Express.

Using Firefox as a browser does not mean you have to stop using Outlook as an email program. If you wanted to switch email program as well Mozilla uses Thunderbird, which if you decided to use it, would automatically copy your address book (among other settings) when it installed.
06-16-2009, 02:38 AM,
Need to be careful here as Outlook and Outlook Express are two different programs. ;)