• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SB: Dien Bien Phu Released
06-05-2009, 10:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2009, 10:56 PM by TheBigRedOne.)
SB: Dien Bien Phu Released
Gentlemen,

Today HPS has announced three new games, including a new Squad Battles game based on the French War in Indochina, SB: Dien Bien Phu. The game's main focus is on the battle at DBP, but also includes scenarios related to the long conflict the French had fighting the Viet Minh. Wargamer has an official release here:

http://www.wargamer.com/article/2706/hps...new-titles

I had the chance to do a good amount of playtesting on this title and have included some screen shots of some of the games below. It is a well crafted game with a ton of scenarios designed by Mike Cox (Cazart! here on the Blitz). A fine addition to the SB family of games. I'll work on getting the scenarios added into the database.

---
From the Official Release:

Dien Bien Phu conjures up many images for the average wargamer – a bloody, muddy siege, the failure of a colonial empire to hold onto it’s possessions in the aftermath of World War II, the Legion Etrangere holding positions to the end, paratroopers dropping into a doomed situation, the list goes on. However, the French Indochina War was much more than that. In the Legion tradition, small outposts and their defense were a fixture throughout the war. There were riverine assaults, a tactic that would bloom in the American War 10+ years later. Aggressive paradrops were a regular feature before the development of the heliborne assault. There were convoys and endless patrols. In this latest edition to the Squad Battles series you will get to experience all of these situations and more.

Dien Bien Phu

* 70 stand alone scenarios and 7 campaigns to choose from.
* A wide sampling of actions from this conflict
* 20 unique maps ranging in size from 780 hexes to 71,400 hexes providing ample ground for scenario designers to create their own actions.

Engine changes include:

1) Support for rolling Barrages has been added.

2) Added ability to give random probability to “withdraws” defined in a scenario.

3) Altered the A/I scripts dialog within the editor to facilitate the creation of A/I scripts.

4) Multiple A/I enhancements for movement, targeting and assaults.

5) Added Hull Down feature, set in the scenario editor for armor. Fire from the ground through the three front hex sides of a hull down vehicle is reduced by half. Hull down is lost if the vehicle turns or moves.

Attached Files
.jpg   DBP1.JPG (Size: 336.64 KB / Downloads: 35)
.jpg   DBP2.JPG (Size: 296.25 KB / Downloads: 24)
.jpg   DBP3.JPG (Size: 280.87 KB / Downloads: 21)
.jpg   DBP4.JPG (Size: 321.82 KB / Downloads: 24)
.jpg   DBP5.JPG (Size: 329.73 KB / Downloads: 20)
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2009, 11:48 PM,
RE: SB: Dien Bien Phu Released
Thoughts?
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM,
I think it will be a great game.
06-06-2009, 01:34 AM,
Let's have a little self promotion guys.:rolleyes:;):stir:
06-06-2009, 03:52 AM,
Ordered and already shipped. I figure by Wednesday evening I will have it. Really looking forward to it. I'm sure you guys did a great job playtesting it.
06-06-2009, 05:58 AM,
This is a solid addition to the series. Lots of fun actions to play...hope you guys enjoy it!
06-06-2009, 07:58 AM,
Just ordered from NWS, hope it will get here overseas soon.
06-06-2009, 08:17 AM,
This is a must buy, for sure! can't wait to get my hands on it cheers

But now I have to order some DBP books as well. Guess the family will have to starve the next month :happy:
06-06-2009, 09:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2009, 09:38 AM by Mad_Dog.)
I had been thinking that this war would be a great subject for a mod of ToD or Vietnam, but I guess HPS beat me to it. No problem there. Big Grin I'm pretty excited about this one. Here are a couple links for anyone who wants to do some prepatory reading. The first one is by some wargaming historians, and it has some neat stuff.

http://indochine54.free.fr/index.html#top

http://hksw.org/vietnam.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Indochina_War

Edit: Can't HPS shake up the artwork a little though?

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

06-07-2009, 01:25 AM,
Mad_Dog Wrote:I had been thinking that this war would be a great subject for a mod of ToD or Vietnam, but I guess HPS beat me to it. No problem there. Big Grin I'm pretty excited about this one. Here are a couple links for anyone who wants to do some prepatory reading. The first one is by some wargaming historians, and it has some neat stuff.

http://indochine54.free.fr/index.html#top

http://hksw.org/vietnam.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Indochina_War

Edit: Can't HPS shake up the artwork a little though?

There are a couple of really good books about DBP and the French War in Indochina in general. Hell in a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall and The Last Valley are two very comprehensive books on DBP.

As for the graphics, that's a tough one, and a sentiment I actually do agree with. Fact is, we've been spoiled by IronX's graphics work, but keep in mind that graphics for a commercial release aren't free. Andrew's pumping out really killer stuff, but he's doing it on his own time, and with the idea of selling those skills to the greater wargaming community. It's his investment towards a commercial wargame graphic design free-lance career, so of course he's going to go all out on his graphics enhancements. Smart business move, really.

There's a cost involved for the commercial graphics, and I'd imagine with a limited budget, most of the money goes towards the coding for the engine changes, where coding is a premium cost. There's always a tradeoff. I'd rather have more games produced with slightly less flashy graphics, than having one game every 5 years with killer graphics. Just my opinion, of course.

My disclaimer is that I do playtest for HPS, I do not get paid and I have absolutely no knowledge of anything related to the cost or budget of any of the SB work. I'm merely hypothesizing on the cost structure....