• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SB Ladder Activity: May 2009
06-02-2009, 12:43 AM,
SB Ladder Activity: May 2009
May Activity here on the SB ladder was down a bit from previous months, as I'd expect with Summer coming and warmer weather taking over here in North America...

Total Games: 38

SAW-7
WW-6
AIW-5
VN-5
SCW-5
LW-4
A@W-2
ES-2
P&F-1
TOD-1

No love for AoTR, Korea, Pacific War

Up-ticks for the three newest games, SAW, WW and SCW. Nice to see some of the newest games getting some playtime. VN got a nice boost from the GameSquad Tourney. Round two over there should be starting soon.

It's clear that over the past few months that Korea and the two Pacific-based WWII games are really not getting a lot of PBEMing love. Now, I'll admit to not having played the Pacific games much at all, but I do think Korea is a fine game with some nice scenarios, both stock and post-release. Any of you long-time games care to comment on the lack of love for PacWar and Proud and Few?

Top Three Players

MikeKiller16-13
Landser34-10
MadDog-9
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2009, 05:44 AM,
RE: SB Ladder Activity: May 2009
TheBigRedOne Wrote:...
It's clear that over the past few months that Korea and the two Pacific-based WWII games are really not getting a lot of PBEMing love. Now, I'll admit to not having played the Pacific games much at all, but I do think Korea is a fine game with some nice scenarios, both stock and post-release. Any of you long-time games care to comment on the lack of love for PacWar and Proud and Few?

They (Pacific games) are my favourite games of the entire series. They are the ones (in my view) on which the engine / scale / etc. really come together. They are great for PBEM, and contrary to other games in the series, and in common with most tactical games of the Pacific, they feature loads of exotic and elite troops, in some deadly missions , in really nightmarish terrain. It's infantry warfare at his best. What's not to like????

I can seriously recommend them.
06-02-2009, 06:27 AM,
TheBigRedOne Wrote:Top Three Players

MikeKiller16-13
Landser34-10
MadDog-9

I'm in good company.:cool:

If I had Korean War, I would play it. It's on my short list for my next purchase. Does it have a lot of Canadian scenarios?

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

06-02-2009, 07:03 AM,
Quote:Does it have a lot of Canadian scenarios?

Yes. It has some very good Canadian scenarios. I recall a Yalu river crossing where Canadian Centurions clash with Korean T-34s.[/quote]
06-02-2009, 09:40 AM,
Ozgur Budak Wrote:
Quote:Does it have a lot of Canadian scenarios?

Yes. It has some very good Canadian scenarios. I recall a Yalu river crossing where Canadian Centurions clash with Korean T-34s.
[/quote]
That sounds like fun.:)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

06-02-2009, 01:33 PM,
I like all three of those titles as well. As stated already, the Pacific War and Proud and Few are perfect fits for this scale. Korea is also a great game. It really takes squad combat to a new level as so many fights in that theatre, even when part of a larger fight, are very isolated battles. You can easily have 2-3 very separate fights going in one scenario with each group struggling to survive and attempt to support each other. It brings immediately to mind the fighting around Chosin during that horrible ordeal. Every foxhole, chisled out of the frozen ground, had it's own story to tell.