• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Big Iron Bird lands in Texas...
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM,
Big Iron Bird lands in Texas...
Hello to all at the club... I've just returned for some R&R from the desert of Iraq...

I've just spent that last few days flying from Iraq to Kuwait to Germany to Texas... and it is great to be back... if only for a few weeks...

Now that JTCS 4.0 has been out a while... what is the good and what is the bad about it... What is the latest must have wargame out there... I need input as I've been in a pile of sand working my butt off with little time for the finer things in life...

Also, are there any issues with Vista and JTCS? I'm about to jump to Vista as I am in need of a new laptop... anything I need to know before I finally let go of my XP...

Alright... now that I'm up at 0400 and wandering the halls of the club... it's good to get this opportunity for a while...

Jim vK
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2009, 08:42 PM,
RE: Big Iron Bird lands in Texas...
Jim:

Thank you for your service! :smoke:

There have been JTCS Vista "challenges" - see this thread for more details.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2081228

I would recommend that you remain on XP as long as possible.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
05-20-2009, 12:38 AM,
*salutes*

Welcome back, Jim... if only for a few.

Tis good to have you!

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
05-20-2009, 04:20 AM,
Who are you again? :smoke:

Welcome home Boss. :bow:
Version 1.04 awaits! As Mike said, be aware of Vista issues. :chin:

I'll work on getting you a scenario shortly. :stir:Whip
Since you had enough sand we can look to the Steppes?:kill:

cheers

Regards,

Ed
05-20-2009, 09:48 AM,
Welcome back home Jim.

Regards,

Eric
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM,
Good to have you back home.

Thanks for your service.
05-21-2009, 10:54 AM,
Thanks for the welcome... It is VERY good to be home... I just wish the stint wasn't so short... Whip

One of my stops today was B&N and I was definitely having a good day. I saw one of my favorite authors has started his own Trilogy, David Glaltz with Jonathan House, To the Gates of Stalingrad, Soviet-German Combat Operations, April - August 1942: The Staligrad Trilogy, Vol 1"... Oooo... I can't wait for Vol 2 and 3... Drool... Drool... and I haven't even read Vol 1... :hissy:

and another one that looks very interesting... What Stalin Knew, the Enigma of Barbarossa by David Murphy... It looks to be a very interesting look at Stalin's thinking prior to the invasion in June.... My curiosity already sparked by one of the other boards here at the club... :chin:

and to finish off my interest... Retribution by Max Hastings... If he wrote it, chances are that I have it or intend to read it... Another of my favorite authors...

Plus a couple of books from the discount area on Japanese Samurai... one of my long-time personal areas of interest...

Needless to say, I think in the next few weeks I'll be single-handedly trying to boost the US economy... :stir:

I also stopped off to check out the new Star Trek and was somewhat suprised... It was pretty much non-stop action from the opening credit... It was a nice two hour diversion... :whis:

I also have JTCS v1.04 up and functioning... and played a game against the AI late last night in one of my favorite scenarios The Battle is Joined... Damn was I sloppy.. :mad: none of my usual precision... I know it's been a while, but there did seem to be a different feel to the game...

I can see many of Jason's changes in the game with all the new German and Russian units... very nice... Big Grin

Well, enough of my rambling... :soap:

It's good to be back and to see that everything is running relatively smoothly... A big thanks to all those hard working guys that devote their personal time to keeping this community humming along... Lots of new faces... and many of the wiley vets still filtering through the trenches... unfortunately, there are a few that have stepped back... but the community does still seem to be thriving...

Ready 2 out...

Jim
05-21-2009, 09:11 PM,
Flag

Thank You for your Service, Jim.

My son's unit is deploying soon;

http://www.adn.com/slideshows/v-swf/story/801515.html
05-26-2009, 08:02 AM,
Yeah im with Ed who are you to interup our gaming pleasure.Stuff the sand Jim take you and your family a hol into the hill's where its green and cool.Enjoy your break and take care.
05-26-2009, 09:26 PM,
Dan,

Good Luck to your son. May his journey see him safely home at the end of his tour.

John,

I love you too my Scottish rogue... I've travelled to Kansas to be with my family and to see the little granddaughter... and the things that pass for hills here are definitely green... much more pleasant than the Iraqi scenery I'm used to...

Take care,

Jim