• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Adding scenarios to database
05-12-2009, 09:14 PM,
Adding scenarios to database
Hi Andrew,

added first scenario "Bear at Bay" to HPS Jutland scn. database !

Three problems:

- the number of turns can´t be entered, so I´ve choosen 1 turn for
10 min. of estimated time for online gaming the battle

- How to register multiplayer battles ?

- calculation of SM -modifiers is very difficult.

Cheers, Klaus
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2009, 10:35 PM,
RE: Adding scenarios to database
Hello Klaus;

We will have to make some allowances for the Naval Campaigns as the ladder system never anticipated real time games and is set up to handle games played in turns, but where there is a will there is a way ;)

I think using 10 minutes of game time to equal one turn is a fine estimate.

As for calculating he size modifier, the S&A Ladder is currently slanted towards very large, long playing games (like WitP) and there for scores a lot of points for the playing of one game. Introducing the Naval Campaigns into the ladder which can be played very quickly can skew the results of the ladder. I will probably have to adjust the way the ladder is scored slightly so that quick playing games are not given too much of an advantage over slow playing games.

I have no direct knowledge of the Naval Campaigns games (although I confess to having more than a curious interest in them on a personal level Big Grin ), so I will have to rely on the judgment of players who have the experience to advise us on how to get them loaded correctly. My impression is that even the largest scenarios in an NC game can be played in one session, is that correct? If that is not correct then what is the worst case situation? Two sessions to play a scenario? Three? You get the idea.

For now I will say load all NC scenarios as Size Modifier = 1. They can be adjusted retroactively if necessary and old games will be recalculated as a result, so no one will miss out by loading them as SM = 1.

Multi-player games are handled the same on all ladders. If you have an even number of players (2 on each side) you just split the reports. For example, if players A and B play the British and players X and Y play the Germans, and the British win a Major Victory over the Germans you would report the game like this:

Player A reports a Major Victory over Player X
Player B reports a Major Victory over Player Y

If you have an odd number of players, the odd man out reports the game against the Blitz Shadow Player. Reports against the shadow player should be coordinated with the Ladder Commander before it's entered so that no one suspects someone of trying to pad their ladder score.

All game reports in these situations would check the "team game" box on the report a game form.

If you have other issues, questions please let me know. I am happy to help you help us, get the Sea and Air Ladder up to speed.
Paul
05-13-2009, 02:35 AM,
Hi Paul.

All of your suggestions are reasonable in my opinion.

Guess a mulitiplayer battle of HPS Naval Campaigns won´t take longer
than 1-3 h, you can´t keep a crowd of more than 4 players online
for a longer period:)

For both sides a fleet commander will be assigned, guess the commander of the winning side should contact Andrew, Christian or me to get the result sorted, afterwards we can contact you and discuss the best way to report.

Regards, Klaus
05-13-2009, 02:40 AM,
Corrected first scenario - The Bear at Bay - to SM 1