• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Aachen-West Wall 1944
04-23-2009, 11:49 PM,
Aachen-West Wall 1944
Hello Blitz'ers:

I have a new scenario which I uploaded last night that I wanted to solicit players for. Aachen-West Wall is my latest and I hope one of my best. It utilizes many of the new JTCS 1.04 capabilities and I think if you take a look you may want to give it a go.

I intend to run it through H2H testing, but for now I've already got Normandy44 involved with H2H and on Von Luck's advice we're going to wait until we finish it before starting on this one.

I believe this scenario is ready to go as is, and we've already beta tested it hot seat and PBEM.
I offer you a double your money back gaurantee...

It is a large scenario, not as big as some, but large.

I have been fascinated with the battles along the German frontier for some time and this scenario represents the most difficult part of this campaign, the fight for the "Siegfried Line" as it was known by the Allies, and the precursor to the Hürtgen Forest.

The fight for the City of Aachen was the first major German city to be fought for after the Allied armies had pursued the retreating Wermacht through France, Belgium and the Netherlands following the collapse of the Falaise Pocket and the landings in Southern France.
While the Yanks were learning how to fight and getting better at contesting the Germans, this was the first truly urban battle they fought and they had some lessons to learn.

With useage of the new Bridge building engineers, the Allied player must cross the Würm under the sights of the Scharnhorst and Schill lines that ran along the entire German border through this area. Not a true "high wall" as was the case with Rommel's Atlantic Wall, the Western Wall defenses were more of a double line of bunkers, dragon's teeth, connected pillboxes, and mixed minefields all well supported by heavy artillery up to and including rail guns. It was designed to slow the invaders long enough for armored reinforcements to arrive. It did, it does.

The fight for the city itself was quite a nightmare, with determined German defenders popping up through sewer systems behind the advancing engineers who eventually resorted to "mouseholing" each buidling...each block...each position...house by house. They resorted to self propelled 155 Guns in the end to "knock 'em all down" as per their orders.

If your looking for a new scenario, take a shot at this one.

My Father's unit was involved in this area and this is also a part of the reason it holds special interest to me. No hero, just a soldier.
That was always enough for me.

Master Sgt. Rod Caviness
40th Engineer Combat Regiment
45th Infantry Division (Thunderbirds)
7th Army/5th Army/7th Army working for Patton, Mark Clark, and Sandy Patch.

[img][Image: RodCaviness.jpg][/img]

This photo was taken at the time of his discharge, Fall of 1945
The ribbons were the usual, Good Conduct, American Defense, and ETO Campaign.
They don't tell the story though. If you look closely you'll notice the small stars and arrowheads that are pinned on those ribbons.

7 Campaigns, 3 Amphibious Assaults.

Sicily
Naples - Foggia
Salerno
Rome - Arno
Southern France
Rhineland
Ardennes - Alsace
Central Europe

My Pops wouldn't talk much about the war. I think he was done with all that and happy to come home, like most.

He told a young man (me) in the 60's a couple of things during hunting trips but not much. I found a great historical research guy, WW2 Connections, name of Richard Horrell, whom I highly recommend to anyone trying to track down history. He helped me track down most of this using some old photos and two letters I had saved from my Dad to my Uncle, who was a radioman on a submarine in the Pacific.

Pops didn't talk much about it, but a couple things did get told that I can recall.

The first thing he told me:

"The landings at Anzio were not good. Your not supposed to send in engineers before you send in the Marines...."
This was a reference to the need for chain link rolls the combat engineers had to unroll off the front of the LCTs during the landings. Apparently the mud/silt was too soft and they had to do this to get the tanks up the beach. Of course the German defenders took exception to this....

Then a little later I had just seen the movie "Patton"...and being a war crazed young kid...I was totally jazzed about the movie and how great General Patton was....

When I broached the subject with my Dad he got real quiet for a bit.
Then he sighed, and told me, "You DO realize General Patton and George C. Scott are two different people...right?"
Well, I guess I did, but hadn't really given it much thought at the tender age of 12 or so.
So I asked him what General Patton was really like (as if a lowly Sgt. would know) and he got quiet again. Finally he told me,

"He shouldn't have slapped that soldier"

That was the last word he ever uttered on the subject.

Now, with some perspective, I realize that slapping incident must have alienated a lot of Patton's soldiers. It appears a betrayal of sorts I'm sure to the men who bled for him.

Regards,

Dan

ps: I realize you don't see many images posted up on these forums, and if this is inappropriate Mr. Forum master I apologize and feel free to delete any and all of it.
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2009, 01:50 AM,
RE: Aachen-West Wall 1944
I have a short list of corrections I need to apply to Aachen-West Wall.
Mostly minor but also some releases didn't get set for the Germans which I need to correct.

I believe I can make the changes and keep the file names and simply overwrite the files uploaded on to the scenario section?

If not I guess I have to make a version 2/whatever?

Regards,

Dan
05-03-2009, 01:52 AM,
Been running a game with this and it's been fun.

The ON MAP bombers are a blast and the RAILGUNS are also devastating.
This is a nice murder map...

Dan
05-03-2009, 02:52 AM,
I can't find the files.Where are they?
05-04-2009, 12:19 AM,
Kernel t:

The files are on the G4/Supply/Scenario Database as follows:

Scenario Database / CS: The Matrix Games version of Weft Front Scenarios / **Aachen-West Wall 1944

The scenario plays well as it is, the only changes it really needs are mostly of the minor sort. Some fixes need "fixing" (sorry), some commander names need to be standardized, two hexsides I want to delete stone wall, trim down the number of Weasels (those are about USELESS units guys...what is the point?....but more about them later...lol...).

The biggest tweak it requires is setting the release times for the static German divisions on the Scharnhorst and Schill Lines/inside Aachen. I'm not sure that effects the scenario all that much, as no matter how aggresively the German player wishes to defend the map, they will quickly realize there is little hope to the west of those lines.

The read me file goes into some detail on the scenario.

The first thing to consider....especially for the German players....is you need to look at the map....especially within the cities....and decide what bridges you need to blow and when. You won't get much chance if you delay, and if you want the Allied player to have to build bridges and make river crossings under fire (which of course you do) you need to start your engineers to work early and often. I missed one during hot seat beta testing and I really took a beating from myself....odd as that may sound...
Your going to have to strand some German forces when you blow some of those bridges, which is exactly what happened historically.

One other quick note for the German players. Railguns are NOT direct fire weapons. While it is conceivable...it's not very practical...and with the visibility of this scenario you won't be able to shoot anything close enough to spot. Play them like what they were designed to be....highly mobile (for something that big) heavy artillery.

The FLAK TRAINS are something else. They throw immense attack values on soft targets and CAN be used in a direct fire mode should the German player be so inclined. Anyone attempting an airstrike on a FLAK train will see why that hurts and is a bad idea.

For the Yank players. The Weasel tracked carrier can be used to move towed equipment only. I didn't realize that when I designed it, and was thinking of deleting them. I'm glad I didn't though, it turns out they serve a purpose, and besides, they were historical. They can cross the blue rivers almost without penalty, and this makes them worth keeping intact. A pint sized LST as it were. You can use them to move all the Yank artillery quickly and without resorting to bridge building.

Of course...I'm not sure I'd want to be FIRST over the Rhine or the Würm for that matter armed with nothing more than a 4 pack of 155 mm Long Toms and a hard on.
The point being you'd lose that erection pretty darn quick eh?
(:O)
Not my close assault weapon of choice!

I will get the changes finished today and overwrite the scenario files.

Regards, and thanks for your interest,

Dan
05-04-2009, 02:09 AM,
I have commited a lot of changes but there are still a couple of outstanding ones I'll have to finish next week.

Regards,

Dan
05-06-2009, 12:34 PM,
Guys:

All changes commited and uploaded/overwritten.
My thanks to Paul for his help with that.

All German division now release. Eventually.
Pared down some units, and delayed some Allied entries.
All commanders now have proper ranks/names.

(My apologies to my German friends for any mispelled "SS-Obersturmbannführer"s...I never realized the UMLAUT was the real key to ALL German CODES...who needs ULTRA?...lol...)

Regards,

Dan
08-02-2009, 12:55 AM,
I'll be scaring up a team game to help Von Luck test this scenario immediately after I wrap up Borisov. Actually I'm hoping my Borisov opponents...Smed and Guderian...just might join also...???

I know Von Luck is testing this and I appreciate his help/comments.
Who is your opponent jb?

Sorry I don't have more time to devote to this right now but I will soon.
I have high hopes for this scenario and will remain dedicated to it.

Dan
12-02-2009, 08:37 AM,
Hello everyone:

A quick update from Von Luck and kernel t indicate the Allied forces may not be able to adequately deal with the Western Wall defenses in the scenario. My hotseat testing didn't indicate this, but I may have pulled my punches against myself, no doubt feeling sorry for the idiot on the other team...lol...

No, the Wall is a tough nut to crack, and it appears some adjustment will be in order. Prior to making them...

I have a couple players lined up for a 2v2 match and would like to solicit for a couple more. I would like to get at least one more test game for my collection before I go and start making changes. Realizing this may prove a difficult test for the Allied players dawags and myself will be happy to play the Allied side...let the cook sample his own brew eh?

Lastly, please don't take this wrong, but I think the test will work best against two "experienced" players. Any beginners are welcome to pm me and we can get something started, but trust me this scenario is not for beginners. It is complex, large, and would prove a difficult and unforgiving learning experience. Download the files, take a look, and decide if it's your cup of tea or not. When I say experienced I don't neccessarily mean guys at the top of the ladders...just players who have some time and games under their belts.

dawags and I are ready to start a game ASAP.
My thanks, and I hope to hear from those willing to help.

Regards,

Dan
12-03-2009, 01:32 AM,
Dan,

I would be glad to help. It will be nice to have you ground to bits by a solid wall of dug in Jerries.......for a change.

I can play alone or with a partner.

Rob