• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Volcano Mods - Big Update (includes new Korsun '44 Alt Scenarios)
03-28-2009, 08:26 AM,
Volcano Mods - Big Update (includes new Korsun '44 Alt Scenarios)
Hi All,

I am deputised by Volcano Man to let you know that many of his Alt Scenario and Art Packs have been updated and now available on the www.volcanomods.com site.

I am very happy to announce that all the Korsun '44 scenarios have been given the _Alt scenario treatment. This has been a major rework something akin to what Volcano Man did with Smolensk '41.

Not only are the counter mixes at a more manageable level but the strength levels closer to historical - all based of the latest Niklas Zetterling book.

I am attaching the changes document to give you an idea of the extent of this new version.

Please note that this is version one of the mod and we will take constructive commentry as people play it :)

Enjoy!

Attached Files
.doc   Korsun44 Alternate Campaign changes Part 2.doc (Size: 382.5 KB / Downloads: 28)
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2009, 07:46 PM,
RE: Volcano Mods - Big Update (includes new Korsun '44 Alt Scenarios)
Thanks guy's, among other things I see all the semi-track " maultier " infantry units have been changed to trucks. And having read Zetterlings informative and enjoyable book I appreciate the work both Strela and Volcano Man have put into these alterations to present a more historically accurate campaign game for our enjoyment.
03-28-2009, 10:26 PM,
Great piece of work for the PzC community! :bow:
03-29-2009, 12:07 AM,
Well done for all the hard work.
03-29-2009, 08:43 AM,
Hi Lowlander,

Correct on the Maultier's. There were not that many built to fill out the units here. Same with the 250/9 half track that was liberally available in the original versions of the scenario.

While doing the research it became very evident that spare parts were a huge issue. You will find two units that were 'truckless' due to shortages. This was a PzG battallion in 3rd Panzer and some of the recon troops in 1st SS(!!). The same was true of the tank strengths. The number of German tanks in the workshops was staggering - this is reflected in the authorised vs actual strengths. If you rest your tank companies / battalions long enough you will get some reasonably strong units. Unfortunately you will rarely have that luxury.

The weather also conspired to make the supply situation worse rather than better so players will have the hand they are dealt.

Finally, we have no idea how this will play out. We have now corrected many of the historical anomolies of the original scenario. For example getting the correct STuG strengths and reducing them to single companies willl prevent some of the gamey play. German mobility is now more curtailed with less fast moving units (think 2-3 vehicle half tracks) as well as much weaker (but historical) panzer strengths.

Just be aware the Soviets will break through when they can mass their men, but once they have to string out they become more vunerable.

We have our fingers crossed that players will now see something closer to the exciting tussle that happened in the actual battle....

David
03-29-2009, 02:01 PM,
Nice job, fellows, I was keen on seeing this done.