• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

An explaination of why HPS release titles when they do.
03-08-2009, 07:09 AM,
An explaination of why HPS release titles when they do.
There seems to be a lot of confusion about the manner in which HPS release titles for all their different series, so i have decided to use part of a FAQ that is to be posted to try to put players in the picture to dispel some of the myths of the way things are done and why.

The HPS Development environment is very different from most other software companies. The individuals generally do not make games for a living, rather they do it for the love of building them and the satisfaction of doing it right (OK – there is a little money involved but it isn’t the driving force). As a result there are periods of time when their personal life comes first and work on the game is delayed maybe for months. There are times too when they get tired of working on a title and put it away for a while to work on a new title.

The net result is HPS does not release games on a set time basis (say every six months), when a title is ready a CD is mastered and even then nobody says anything,not until HPS has the CDs back from the manufacturers. When they have a product in their hands to sell they will make an announcement to the public, usually timed for the first Friday of the month.

It is HPS’s hope that this way the games they release are thoroughly tested and ready to release when you get them, but it also makes for a seemingly erratic release strategy.

So because there is no pattern to the releases people tend to look for clever reasons why two ACW games have been released, but we have not seen a PzC for a year like it is some clever sales strategy, when all along it was because two ACW titles were ready and a PzC title was not! ;)

I am involved at the moment in testing a new HPS title, the pace that project is moving forward at is controlled completely by how much spare time I (and the other testers) have to contribute as well as doing our "day jobs" and the same thing is no doubt being repeated in several other projects that are being developed at the moment as well.

So i am sorry if this seems a bit boring in comparison to the conspiracy theories people have, but like most things in life the most simple explanation is almost always the correct one. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2009, 07:48 AM,
RE: An explaination of why HPS release titles when they do.
Occam's razor
03-08-2009, 07:52 AM,
alaric99x Wrote:Occam's razor
Indeed, i am a great believer in it, unlike most people who i know who prefer to see an exciting conspiracy in almost anything. :chin:
03-08-2009, 03:21 PM,
Well - now you've done it - our secret is out ;)
Send this user an email
03-08-2009, 06:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2009, 07:07 PM by Mr Grumpy.)
Yes, i know the HPS release system, but you need understand buyers, for example, i buy DF85 and a few moths later MAW appear, i pay 9 dollars more in transport...... if the problem is you cant say when the games are out search a new form to sell them that made the non information of what new games are in the way an irrelevant factor (digital dowload) and we can buy and play the game in a few minutes.

Rest are ok but dont know what and when is a problem, i am going to buy Renacimiento game but if in a month are a new game (NPC, PZC, MC, EAW).... :mad:
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM,
Xaver,
You are listed as being in Albania, but suspect you are in Spain, do you buy your titles direct from HPS or from a supplier in Europe??

9 Dollars is very expensive! :eek1:
03-08-2009, 07:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2009, 07:34 PM by Xaver.)
EEEY Albania is a great nation.... or at least they say that they are... ALBANIA CAN CONQUER THE WORLD MUHAHAHAHA :P

I buy HPS games in a HPS reseller, i wait 2 weeks for games but can have a single game for 35 euros (depend of the exchange rate but are between 34-37) all included 45 Dollars for all.

PD: i am going to revise mi profile :chin:

EDIT: cant change country... well, i continue as Albanian hehehe.
03-08-2009, 11:47 PM,
Foul. Wrote:
Indeed, i am a great believer in it, unlike most people who i know who prefer to see an exciting conspiracy in almost anything. :chin:

I'm with you on that, I follow the same principle. Still, we have to admit it only works about 97% of the time.
03-08-2009, 11:53 PM,
Foul. Wrote:...but like most things in life the most simple explanation is almost always the correct one. Big Grin

So true, so true.

Keep up the good work! [Image: icon_thumb.gif]
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
03-09-2009, 02:43 AM,
alaric99x Wrote:
Foul. Wrote:

I'm with you on that, I follow the same principle. Still, we have to admit it only works about 97% of the time.
I just get annoyed at the people who make a fortune out of writing these conspiracy theory books and the people who read them and then try to convince you that they are fact, makes my blood boil at times as to my mind they must think i am as gullible as they are. :mad: