• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Offtopic - Miracle at Midway film
02-18-2009, 09:38 AM,
Offtopic - Miracle at Midway film
3 friday nights each month there is something called Friday Squad Operations in Aces High that see squads get organized in a one-life event to recreate historical battles. Typically each month will be a different scenario with 3 frames flown of each scenario.

This is a film, a 120 MB download at 1280x720 resolution and 13:45 minutes long, made from recordings of one of these events. A Pacific scenario 'The Miracle At Midway'. I guess you all are familiar with the events at Midway.

Download link

I hope you like it, this particular film took about 15 hrs to complete.
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2009, 12:34 PM,
RE: Offtopic - Miracle at Midway film
That was awesome. Watching Turner dance that Wildcat around those Zeke's was great. Notching his final kills with half his horizontal stab missing was pretty impressive too. Single Mission Ace, very very nice.

Thanks for sharing.
02-19-2009, 02:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2009, 03:09 AM by Turner.)
RE: Offtopic - Miracle at Midway film
Thankyou Steel God, I'm glad that people outside of the Aces High community can enjoy the film as well. This was but one frame of many, and it does not always end this well. :rolleyes:
I was compelled to make this film because of the completely insanely unlikely fight which neither of us expected to survive. After all we had both lost our wingmen and were fighting outnumbered but through teamwork and a good portion of luck we prevailed to fight another day. It stands out as one of the craziest simulated air combats online I've ever participated in.

Afterwards my thoughts went to the guys who did this for real. To see a close friend get hit and know that he's doomed to drown or die of thirst at sea, unable to help or even show your concern as you have to continue to fight for your own life. Of the air battles over the carrier groups at Midway, there were few survivors.

There are also these films if you want a look from the cockpit perspective. This is more like what we do on a day-to-day basis in the Main Arenas. We fly strictly Luftwaffe aircraft except for some historical scenarios in which the Luftwaffe simply is not involved. :)

Link -> JG11_01 -66 MB
Link -> JG11_02 - 63 MB
Link -> JG11_03 - 93 MB
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.