• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Chaning attachments
01-20-2009, 02:40 PM,
Chaning attachments
I know you can move divisions between corps but can you change the attachment of a corps HQ's between armies or Army HQ's between fronts?
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM,
RE: Chaning attachments
Attachment is set at a certain level by the design in that title. Each title can have a different level of attachment as can each side (Axis different than Allies) within the title to reflect the command structure flexibility to adapt to changes as the battle progresses.

Some independent units attached at the corps levels in some titles can move up to the army level or change between armies.

As a very general rule...
Expect the flexibility to be the least in the Russian forces, better in the British, with the Americans and Germans showing the most flexibility. Some titles have special mechanics to allow Krampgruppes to be formed as were historically required by a desperate battle being depicted. The titles are well designed to allow some changes, but not complete micromanagement to correct any situation. As commander you will be faced with choices to lose command control to exploit an opportunity or pass such an opportunity by. The ramifications are more subtle than they appear on the surface. A well trained eye, from experience, can tell when the enemy is over reaching or disorganized and take advantage of this.

The best thing to do is try to maintain the historical chain of command, but take some time on the first midnight turn of the game to see what is possible and plan accordingly.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
01-20-2009, 04:13 PM,
i haven't seen this before... I've opened the corps attachment dialogue several times in many campaigns, i don't think we can switch corps between armies or armies between fronts :(
Dany "BigBlock" Sakr
Beirut / Lebanon
Send this user an email
01-20-2009, 05:12 PM,
MasnarT Wrote:i haven't seen this before... I've opened the corps attachment dialogue several times in many campaigns, i don't think we can switch corps between armies or armies between fronts :(

As DS said, depends on the title.
01-21-2009, 12:15 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:Attachment is set at a certain level by the design in that title. Each title can have a different level of attachment as can each side (Axis different than Allies) within the title to reflect the command structure flexibility to adapt to changes as the battle progresses.

As a very general rule...
Expect the flexibility to be the least in the Russian forces, better in the British, with the Americans and Germans showing the most flexibility. Some titles have special mechanics to allow Krampgruppes to be formed as were historically required by a desperate battle being depicted. The titles are well designed to allow some changes, but not complete micromanagement to correct any situation. As commander you will be faced with choices to lose command control to exploit an opportunity or pass such an opportunity by. The ramifications are more subtle than they appear on the surface. A well trained eye, from experience, can tell when the enemy is over reaching or disorganized and take advantage of this.

Dog Soldier

Which titles or scenarios allow the formation of Kamfgruppen, Combat Commands or taskforces on the fly? I know oob fudging is possible to get around the fact that cross attachments can only be done at Corps level. I only have Bulge, El Alamein, France 40 and Normandy.
01-21-2009, 12:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2009, 12:45 AM by James Ward.)
MasnarT Wrote:i haven't seen this before... I've opened the corps attachment dialogue several times in many campaigns, i don't think we can switch corps between armies or armies between fronts :(

I tried to do it in Minsk as the Germans as my lines were being sliced :) The only units that changed command were the Corp units. The HQ still remained attached to it's original Army HQ.
01-21-2009, 01:10 AM,
Actually, to clarify a bit, although I don't have the details here at work unfortunately. Basically, for all but the Soviets, in the PzC series anyway, the attachment rules work the same - divisions can be reassigned to new corps, that is it (maybe some of the other large ad hoc formations also but I am not aware of this). By playing with the oob structure, Glenn or other scenario designers can make some other things possible, but it is by tweaking the OOB setup for units to be a part of a "division" level structure so it can be reassigned. This may be done with corps level assets, or large brigades assigned to a corps - they are setup as a division so they can be reattached. As far as I know, this is the same for the Axis and western Allies.

The Soviets are treated differently; I believe for them, at least in the earlier year titles, they can reattach corps - don't quote me on that though. So that side can move an entire corps around the various armies.

There may be 1-2 exceptions to the above that I forgot about, but I sure can't think of any. Either way, I don't worry about it, I just open the attachments button when attachments can be made to see what can be attached to what units, then start tweaking what I find to improve my command spans.

In James' example from Minsk, it makes sense from the way Glenn sets these things up - the arty and other corps support units are setup with a "divisional" formation under the corps HQ so they can be reassigned, but the corps HQ is dedicated to the army currently assigned and can't be changed.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-21-2009, 02:43 AM,
Ricky,
This is what I did in Bulge oobs. I created Field Artillery and Engineer Combat Groups at Division level attached to Corps. These portions of US Corps assets could then be transferred from Corps to Corps. Also, army level assets grouped at Corps level can be re attached.
It is also possible, I suppose, in small scenarios in which Army Groups arent necessary, to move everything up one notch, and have cross attachment effectively at Division level.
01-21-2009, 02:50 AM,
Regarding attachments is there a limit or penalty for overloading a corp HQ with attached units? For example could I attach 10 German divisions to a corp HQ that started out with 3 divisions attached?
01-21-2009, 07:26 AM,
James Ward Wrote:Regarding attachments is there a limit or penalty for overloading a corp HQ with attached units? For example could I attach 10 German divisions to a corp HQ that started out with 3 divisions attached?

I don´t think so. But you might have a hard time keeping the Corps HQ within range of all it´s 10 division and their respective HQ´s. And if you can´t do that, why bother?
Send this user an email