• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Movement through woods
01-17-2009, 07:08 AM,
Movement through woods
Following the discussion re shoot and scoot, is there anyway the game can be sorted so there are two types of forest hexes -
One as a small wooded hex that allows movement to all units and one that only allows infantry units to move through the forest?
regards
Peter
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2009, 07:11 AM,
RE: Movement through woods
glint Wrote:Following the discussion re shoot and scoot, is there anyway the game can be sorted so there are two types of forest hexes -
One as a small wooded hex that allows movement to all units and one that only allows infantry units to move through the forest?
regards
Peter

In the meantime, one could use orchards in their designs to simulate light forests.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
01-17-2009, 07:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-17-2009, 07:22 AM by Huib Versloot.)
In the meantime for North Western Europe (haven't checked EF) you could use escarpments in the map editor to surround areas that should not be accessable for vehicles. These escarpments are not visible in 2d view and in 3d view if the hexes are of the same elevation they are also not visible. It is a work around that works very well.

In the upcoming 1.05 scenarios we (David Galster and I) have used this method to represent AT ditches which are a gully or minor stream combined with an invisible escarpment. Infantry can traverse the gully, vehicles cannot.

Huib
01-17-2009, 07:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-17-2009, 07:37 AM by Jason Petho.)
Alfons de Palfons Wrote:In the upcoming 1.05 scenarios we (David Galster and I) have used this method to represent AT ditches which are a gully or minor stream combined with an invisible escarpment. Infantry can traverse the gully, vehicles cannot.

I've been using that same exact method for 1973 Chinese Farm scenarios! Gully's and escarpments to impede vehicular traffic.

As well as stopping vehicles from going mountain hopping instead of travelling through the various passes in the Sinai.

Brilliant!

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
01-17-2009, 07:32 PM,
I can see that as a good method guys but, if they can't be seen in 2d/3d then that doesn't really remedy my query? When playing a game and studying the map,both sides should be able to recognise a heavy wood from a light wood so they can plan the movement of their units accordingly. A simple design of orchard/woods/heavy forest hexes would accomplish that if it is possible to do. I believe the Vietnam mod has both light and heavy jungle so I guess it should be possible?
01-17-2009, 07:44 PM,
glint Wrote:I can see that as a good method guys but, if they can't be seen in 2d/3d then that doesn't really remedy my query? When playing a game and studying the map,both sides should be able to recognise a heavy wood from a light wood so they can plan the movement of their units accordingly.

You can recognize them in 2D with no issues. I also label the no go areas on the map so you can view them in 3D.

glint Wrote:A simple design of orchard/woods/heavy forest hexes would accomplish that if it is possible to do. I believe the Vietnam mod has both light and heavy jungle so I guess it should be possible?

You bet, it's possible. Just a matter of writing new code for the various editors.

Hence my suggestion of using orchards to simulate what you desire in the meantime.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
01-17-2009, 08:19 PM,
Cheers Jason, does that mean the new codes will be done in the next patch?
01-18-2009, 12:13 AM,
Woo Hoo!

Cheers to heavy\light forest hexes!!!

:bow:
Send this user an email
01-18-2009, 03:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-18-2009, 03:46 AM by Jason Petho.)
glint Wrote:Cheers Jason, does that mean the new codes will be done in the next patch?

No promises, but hopefully!

Certainly a future UPDATE anyway. It would be nice to have a number of new terrain features available in the map editors. I may be biased though, being a cartographer by trade. *laughs*

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
01-18-2009, 07:52 AM,
Technically speaking, an orchard should be easier to move through and be spotted in than light woods. The trees are planted in line and underbrush has been cleared.