• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: What SB games do YOU want to see?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
SB: Caveman
0%
0 0%
Pre WWI Conflicts (which)
7.58%
5 7.58%
WWI
13.64%
9 13.64%
WWII Italy/Mediterranean
16.67%
11 16.67%
WWII Eastern Front
16.67%
11 16.67%
WWII Other
3.03%
2 3.03%
Smaller Wars (Grenada, Panama, Somalia, Chechnya, Faulklands, etc)
13.64%
9 13.64%
Modern War (Gulf War I to present day)
9.09%
6 9.09%
Modern War Hypothetical (Fulda Gap, invasion of Cuba, etc...)
15.15%
10 15.15%
Other (explain)
4.55%
3 4.55%
Total 66 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What SB do you want to see?
01-16-2009, 03:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-16-2009, 03:21 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
What SB do you want to see?
This has been hashed and re-hashed, but it never gets less interesting to talk about, especially with the SB Renaissance we currently find ourselves in. So, let's hear about what YOU want to see coming out of HPS in the future. Remember, folks from HPS do read these forums, so what you're thinking is quite important.

If there are any I've missed, chose 'other' and explain yourself. There are only 10 Poll Slots available, so I'm sure I've missed a few....
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2009, 03:36 AM,
RE: What SB do you want to see?
Chechnya
World War I (based on Rommel's Book Infantry Attacks)
World War I Africa (Tip and Run)
Modern Special Forces Operations, e.g. hostage rescues, Battles with Drug Cartels etc.

And one that I think would work wonderfully with Squad Battles is Back of Beyond 1918- 1926, warfare in Asia between the wars.

This is widely gamed in 28mm lead so there is a lot of info out there. It's something of a forgotten war but good for squad battles scale. It's based on books by Peter Hopkirk. See this page for a summary.
01-19-2009, 12:47 AM,
It's interesting to see so many people interested in Modern War SB's hypothetical , or not, specially considering that the more modern titles do not seem to be crowd favourites in the other thread...

A general question to the crowd, if you did not vote for Vietnam / Tour of Duty as your favourite SB game, and voted for modern SB games in here, what differences (apart from the obvious eh? ) would you expect to see in a modern SB when compared to Vietnam / Tour of Duty?

(the questions bears even more significance if you consider the modern asymmetrical conflicts)
01-19-2009, 06:29 AM,
WWII:
Italy is a must for my way of thinking. That includes Crete.

WWI

Pre 1900's:
Ancients
War of the Roses
English Civil War (Pike and Musket?)
01-19-2009, 11:59 PM,
jmlima Wrote:It's interesting to see so many people interested in Modern War SB's hypothetical , or not, specially considering that the more modern titles do not seem to be crowd favourites in the other thread...

A general question to the crowd, if you did not vote for Vietnam / Tour of Duty as your favourite SB game, and voted for modern SB games in here, what differences (apart from the obvious eh? ) would you expect to see in a modern SB when compared to Vietnam / Tour of Duty?

(the questions bears even more significance if you consider the modern asymmetrical conflicts)

As it stands now the WWII games have gathered a few more votes than the modern conflicts, but not by much. This doesn't surprise me, and I pretty much guessed that this is where the split would lie.

WWII is an obvious favorite and the material to draw from is vast. I agree with Nik that an Italy type SB game would be quite interesting.

The modern conflicts are also not a surprise, at least to me. Based on the reactions from IronX's The Long War Mod and his upcoming Arab-Israeli Mod, it seems that the community has a bit of a thrist for new and interesting 'toys'. There was a post on SZO basically commenting that, while well done, the last two games (Winter War and Spanish Civil War) were not 'sexy'. Somewhat obscure conflicts and bolt action rifles do not seem to match up with the variety of new weapons/vehicles that have been built into LW. I'll admit that it's fun to play around with the new stuff as well, and the updated graphics IronX put into the game are far superior to the 'heads' that we've grown accustomed to in SB, but from a scenario standpoint, there is no comparision with WW or SCW. The community is getting its hands on things, but there hasn't been a flow of new scenarios being pushed out as of yet. I think that will come in time.

That being said, if modern is what people really enjoy, I'm shocked that AAW and SAW didn't garner more votes. Perhaps the heavier American slant of Long War appeals to more folks. Hard to say. The VN/TOD games have always been a bit of a difficult spot, being so early in the SB process. Many of the scenarios aren't quite balanced, which makes PBEMing and solo play a little more difficult. It's almost too bad that TOD came out so quickly after VN rather than coming out say, post-SAW with many of the enhancements to the game engine and the emphasis on balance and playability.

I was hoping that folks who voted here would express their thoughts in a post. As I said, there are plenty of folks here who work with HPS on the next generation of SB games. I think they'd love to see what's on the minds of the casual as well as hard-core SB guys here....
01-20-2009, 08:27 AM,
The World War II games are generally my favorites. However, I voted for "Other" with the thought that the SB game engine might lend itself well to replaying some of the famous battles of the American Old West and some of the smaller scale battles of the Civil War.
01-21-2009, 04:39 AM,
To jamesirc, Punisher:

I see you voted WWII: other. What section of the conflict were you guys thinking about?
01-24-2009, 12:20 AM,
I prefer the non-WW2 conflicts or the less well known ones.

Would love to see some WW1 titles or more post WW2 titles.:)

I did recall seeing a good while back some screenshots from what looked like a 80's Fulda Gap style SB title. I think it was posted here ??:conf:
01-24-2009, 04:43 AM,
Glyn Wrote:I prefer the non-WW2 conflicts or the less well known ones.

Would love to see some WW1 titles or more post WW2 titles.:)

I did recall seeing a good while back some screenshots from what looked like a 80's Fulda Gap style SB title. I think it was posted here ??:conf:

I agree, I've really enjoyed the last three titles, being slightly less well-known conficts. It's like learning more about military history while getting a chance to re-live some of the battles. I haven't had the chance to delve much into the SCW, but hope to in the future.

Is this the site you're looking for?

http://www.itsc.uah.edu/till/wargames.html
01-24-2009, 07:41 AM,
What I would really like to see, are SB games covering different battles/campaigns of WW1. A title for Somme, another for Verdun, then again one for Ypres, etc... Some new rules, and we would have a new line of terrific SB games. And with some nice 3D graphics as well... Ah.... :smoke:

Of the existing games, I am most fond of Pacific War and The Proud and the Few. It's just something about the fight in the Pacific... But I also love WW. Maybe a game of the campaign in Norway in 1940 would be a great game as well? Lots of interesting fights there.... :)