• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Big Boy Talk - CS Forums
01-10-2009, 09:02 AM,
Big Boy Talk - CS Forums
Eek O.K., Warning: not for those with "thin skin".

I honestly do not mind having an open discussion. Yes, I like to type. Big Grin
But, I also do so to defend and define my positions.
Recently, I am finding myself increasingly "attacked" because I do like to type and I will strongly defend my position(s) in discussions.

For the sake of clarity let's define what I just said? :chin:

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

Discussion
Pronunciation: \di-ˈskə-shən\
Function: noun Date: 14th century
1 : consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate
2 : a formal treatment of a topic in speech or writing

I discuss. :smoke:

And:

From the Nizkor Project:

Ad Hominem Abusive.
Description of Personal Attack

A personal attack is committed when a person substitutes abusive remarks for evidence when attacking another person's claim or claims. This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because the attack is directed at the person making the claim and not the claim itself. The truth value of a claim is independent of the person making the claim. After all, no matter how repugnant an individual might be, he or she can still make true claims.

That said, I apologize to anyone who may have seen my discussion as anything but, discussion. I honestly try to not attack the poster. I try to discuss the topic of the post.
I will never apologize for having an opinion regardless of it's base. Nor, will I apologize for strongly defending my positions.

To those who wish to continually devolve into personal attacks, I can only say "have at it".
If you do not like what I write, in either content or number of words, I would suggest that you simply not read my posts.
And, for those who would have me in their "box" and claim to know what I will do or say, I cannot help you. It is your burden to carry. I will not carry it for you.

From this point forward, I will continue to discuss CS in both it's relationship to "real", "simulation" or "game" aspects and the changes that some feel are desperately needed.
My only recourse to thwart Ad Hominem Abusive (personal attacks) will be to hit the report button that the club has given to all of us.
I will not confront "school yard whiners" on a case by case basis.

Have a good night. I will relax, enjoy a fine cigar while sipping Crown Royal, and read on about Patton and map study.

Everyone have a good day/night.

cheers

Ed
01-10-2009, 10:05 AM,
RE: Big Boy Talk - CS Forums
You're a lucky man, Ed. If I had even one small cigar now, I'd be back on the darts @ 2 packets a day.
01-10-2009, 01:14 PM,
Well, not to be argumentative or anything, but, jeez, Crown Royal?
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-10-2009, 02:03 PM,
...a personal attack...
...is when one attacks me...

Cheers
Town Drunk
01-10-2009, 07:12 PM,
Guberman...I have to say you reduced Ed's two or three paragraphs to eight words,(none wasted) and some well placed dots!!!

Well done. Neither Shakespeare nor George Orwell...two notedly economical users of words...could hardly beat that...........!!
01-10-2009, 10:06 PM,
Personally, I don't see much point posting anything in the CS discussion forum. Whatever I post, seems to offend someone. There are very few people here interested in any discussion that deviates from their own personal point of view IMHO. Then you get insulted. Then the Mod asks you to shut up.
01-10-2009, 11:54 PM,
Rudolph Hucker Wrote:Personally, I don't see much point posting anything in the CS discussion forum. Whatever I post, seems to offend someone. There are very few people here interested in any discussion that deviates from their own personal point of view IMHO. Then you get insulted. Then the Mod asks you to shut up.

Ah, my fine R Hucker.
Thus the rub of the above post which anchors this thread?

Debate, discuss, argue, or defend a point is where we should all be?

When anyone steps in to attack a person for having an opinion or viewpoint other than "the accepted almighty opinion of theirs" they cross the line?

When mods or members step in to have a poster "shut up" or stop being part of the discussion, they might as well hit the button and pull the chip off the server?

I will disagree with you on one point. This is the Campaign Series forum. I think there is plenty of room to have a discussion here at The Blitz. There should be little tolerance for the Ad Hominem Abusive by members, against anyone?

This thread was to get the discussions back to debate and 'discussion'. I am perfectly willing to field any personal attacks against me through e-mail. Here we have rules that govern our speech?
For those who may send e-mail or private message, be forewarned that I will speak "plainly" and your feelings may get hurt.

Back to the battles! Game on!

RR
01-10-2009, 11:57 PM,
Scud Wrote:Well, not to be argumentative or anything, but, jeez, Crown Royal?

Two fingers (sometimes three), neat, with reading lamp, and a $12 or higher cigar. Wing back chair with dogs at my feet. Fire in the fireplace. Lovely! cheers
01-11-2009, 12:00 AM,
Yup, back to the gaming. There were some fine discussions over the summer on the History board so I know it is possible :smoke:

You keep doing what you're doing Ed.
01-11-2009, 12:02 AM,
Mr. Guberman Wrote:...a personal attack...
...is when one attacks me...

Cheers

Ah Curt, methinks that you wield a fine double edged sword and fancy footwork juxtaposed to my battle axe and beserker thrashing about. Both effective but, yours is prettier? :rolleyes:

cheers

Ed