• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JasonC: #1 Basic Tip for Newbies
12-10-2008, 08:06 AM,
JasonC: #1 Basic Tip for Newbies
"Look for the lopsided match-ups, the ones you win completely for free, not the even match-ups, the "fair fights". Save your men for the stuff they can do that well, and string together such "clean wins". Mindless mashing of like on like, without looking for the "angles" that let you hurt the enemy without being hurt, is the number one newbie mistake.

Examples - tanks machinegunning infantry caught in the open. Light mortars shelling a gun from out of sight, by using an HQ to spot for them. Indirect artillery fire smashing concentrated, good order enemy infantry. Guns firing from ambush at single targets they can reliably kill. Tanks killing other tanks they outmatch in armor terms, or at the right ranges. Hitting guns or tanks while they are facing the wrong direction or shooting at something else, before they can turn to reply. Your own infantry mopping up broken enemy infantry before they rally.

Examples of the stuff to avoid - he sent 2 platoons of infantry into those woods, I'll send two platoons of infantry into those woods. Only marginally better - sending 3. His tank can kill mine and mine can kill his; let's see who wins. I'll just stay another minute and see if I can take out that gun before it kills my tank. These are 'mindless mashing of like on like'." - JasonC
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2008, 08:08 AM,
RE: JasonC: #1 Basic Tip for Newbies
My #1 basic Tip would be:

Learn everything you can about the game - what each unit can and can't do. Your decisions will only be as good as the information they are based on.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-10-2008, 09:18 AM,
Mine:
The line of sight tool is your best friend.
12-10-2008, 09:27 AM,
And rotate your units to where you think the enemy will pop up or where you know that they are. This way you don't waste time and ensure that you get the first shot off.
12-11-2008, 01:52 AM,
Interesting topic.
12-15-2008, 06:47 AM,
Smoke, smoke and smoke. Your AFV, MTR and arty has smoke for reasons. If you can't kill it blind it. If it hurts you blind it. If you need to reach it, blind it.
12-25-2008, 04:59 AM,
I was thinking to make a poll but decide to post it here instead...

Just something odd what I've started to notices when I'm playing that I'm looking more the game from my opponent's side than my own. I've checked the map from opponent's side usually at the placing-phase for long time now but actually playing it from opponent's side, it kind of feels strange, like you're fighting against your own troops! It's just more easily imagine where enemy units might be, and not to mention it's more important what enemy can do to you than you to enemy.

This is something to try out! :)